It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

AllysHeart HB User
Smile New Lexapro prescription

Hello. I recently began taking Lexapro 5 mg for my mood swings related to menopause. It has really made a difference for me. My mood stabilized, and I am able to focus on my own business.

I was losing sleep before taking the Lexapro, but since beginning the low dose, I sleep really well, and wake up without being grouchy.

I don't think I need a stronger dose. I was surprised to read about others who are taking quite larger doses.

My husband asked me to please consult my family doctor one weekend after I had a terrible mood swing that lasted about 3 days. I cried in the Dr.'s office, saying, "I have the most wonderful husband in the world, and he still loves me after the weekend." I was so glad I sought help, and was able to receive it in the form a small white pill!

I think it's great when we know to ask for help. There's nothing to be ashamed of when asking for help. My husband and I are so happy I did!

Old 05-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
(female)

even_sly HB User
Re: New Lexapro prescription

This is VERY cool. I'm SO glad the Lexapro is helping you. Sometimes that's all we need, I guess? Just a little boost... I'm glad you're doing good!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
(female)

Megn80 HB User

Congrats on feeling better. I too am on Lexapro (10mg) and it's done wonders. I think the people on higher does are using it for depression/anxiety. Everyone has a different dose they are comfortable at. Hope the pill keeps working for you!

-Meg

Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Thank you for your replies, and for expressing your happiness for my own well being. Yes, the Lexapro has given me "myself" back! That's all I wanted. I'm laughing again; no more grouch, flying off the handle!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

loveagolden HB User

Hi All,

glad to hear good things about Lexapro. I am currently taking Wellbutrin for depression. Anxiety has popped up in the last several months so my shrink gave me ativan for anxiety. I know I can only take ativan for a short while. Dr. wants to add another AD to the mix, I think she is leaning towards Cymbalta, but I gained 60lbs on Effexor & Cymbalta is in the same class as Effexor. Also, I perimenopausal, age 51, and with that comes a long list of symptoms. Lexapro seems to be helping those at premenopause, but I am on the fence as to which drug to add.........lexapro or cymbalta. I lost the effexor weight and stayed same with wellbutrin........I'd like to keep it that way. Need something to help with depression, anxiety, perimenopause.......suggestions?

Sharon

Old 06-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

candyass267 HB User

i recently switched from celexa to lexapro. the transition was so easy, as they are almost the same medication. however, the lexapro has been far more effective for me. after years of denying i needed medication, i reluctantly started taking antidepressants. the lexapro has changed my life for the better but did it such a subtle way, i sometimes forget i am even taking it. the effects of lexapro ease into your life. everything else i have ever tried always made my brain feel like it was being bombarded by chemicals. not true with lexapro. and it has affected me in even the most mundane parts of my life. i no longer get ****** off when i drive. in fact, i even drive slower because i'm not so tense and worried all the time. i'd like to hear from someone who tried it and didn't like it, i doubt there are any.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

candyass267 HB User

keep in mind cymbalta is considered a controlled substance. it has pain relieving elements to it, as it is mostly prescibed for diabetics and neuropathy.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
(female)

maggieb58 HB User
Talking Re: New Lexapro prescription

I have recently switched from Celexa to Lexapro as well. I have been doing great on it. In the beginning, it made me kinda jumpy, but after a couple of weeks I was fine and have been doing fine ever since. I take 10 mg as well. Seems to me it just takes the edge off enough that I can function without losing it everytime something happens. Maybe life can be somewhat normal now. Also I am new to the boards so wanted to say Hi to everyone.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

My doctor gave me samples of Lexapro 10 mg. It was a 2 week supply. I did not feel any different, so he never gave me a prescription for it. How long does it take to feel any benefit?

Closed Thread