It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

ian8777 HB User
Lack Of Feeling

hi there
can anyone help me, or identify with how I am feeling.
I dont have any feelings at all, I never have definite feelings, I just seem to be in this grey area where nothing excites me, nothing interests me, I dont ever feel happy, and i struggle very hard to actually relate to anyone including my own family and friends.

When I talk to people I have to act or pretend to be interested in what they are saying, its not like I am a bad person and dont care what people say, Its just that i dont feel as if I have an emotional connection to anyone or anything they say.

I also feel that i dont have my own opinions, i tend to go along with other peoples and not because I am weak minded but because I just dont feel anything to actually form an opinion about it. This is the thing that annoys me the most, because without my own opinion what am I?????

I lost my father due to cancer two years ago, I have never once cried. I dont feel any sadness, I know he's gone, but I dont feel it. I want to feel the pain that I should feel, I would welcome it as it would make me feel human. I feel so disconnected from everyone else.

I try my best to stay busy, I go to the gym lots, as that makes me feel a little better, but its very short term. I avoid social situations as much as possible, as I just dont feel that i have anything to offer. People talk, and I just sit there and when asked about my opinion I have to make one up as I really really dont have opinions. I want to be able to feel my own opinion, and not just have to make things up......DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO ANYONE???

I have been diagnosed a few years ago with depression. i have felt like this for about four years..... to sum up how I feel

i feel nothing for nobody or nothing
i dont have a good image of my own self
I feel like I am in a grey place all the time
I dont have my own opinions
I feel anxious in social situations

any help welcomed

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User
Re: Lack Of Feeling

Hi there, I feel like this a lot recently, but this probably bcoz of the meds I am taking. So are you having or have you had any treatments? Counselling, CBT, Anti Depressants, or whatever?

ExTra

Old 05-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
(male)

ian8777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTra111 View Post
Hi there, I feel like this a lot recently, but this probably bcoz of the meds I am taking. So are you having or have you had any treatments? Counselling, CBT, Anti Depressants, or whatever?

ExTra

hi there
i took a course of citalopram a few years ago... didnt have much effect... i just sometimes feel that i dont see anyway in which I can be happy...
i really miss laughing, have not laughed properly in over three years.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

well, I am not a fan of meds at all, but if the citalopram didnt work, did you switch to anything else? Coz I was on that for 4 weeks, it made me feel much worse, so I have just siwtched to sth else yesterday, hopefully it would work this time, but mayeb it's worse of going back to your doc if you think you are really feeling bad.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Ian, so your depression started before your father died? Was he ill for a while? Ian therapy would help you a lot. Keep posting here too. Maybe if you post here a lot you could get back in touch with your feelings.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi ian,

what extra and sannah said sounds right to me. when one drug doesn't work (as it usually doesn't the first time someone tries out on antidepressants), one must keep trying to find another one that does. you probably heard it all before, but so many people NEED to try different medications before they find some relief. just a thought for you. and, because there are so many available out there, i'm almost positive that there will be one to help you get out of the funk you're in right now, and give you some motivation, so that you can move on and start a counseling program of some sort. it helps soooo much to talk to someone. and, it also helps to come here and talk about what you feel. a lot of us on this board have therapists to talk to, but we also come here to vent, to ask questions, and to talk about our days, our lives, our problems, to get some motivations from others who've shared similar experiences, etc. there are many people here who give wonderful advice, and you will learn you are not alone in your "darkness." many of us are also on meds, AND seeing counselors/therapists, and we still come here. so, i hope this board will be a starting point for you, and that it will give you a chance to open up about your issues at least a little--maybe even give you the impetus to go forward in search of more help out there, because there IS help, ian. please don't just think that "this is it," and that you'll have to live with this hell for the rest of your life. hope is always there!!!
take care and God bless.

Closed Thread