It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

Miss-Pants HB User
Taking MEDS - confusion

Hi everyone,

I have only been seeing a psych since the beginning of the year, and I went there because I have anxiety and panic attacks, but she also told me that I am likely to have depression. She has only just recently mentioned that maybe I should be put on some anti-depressents.

This is freaking me out alot, Im just confused because how I am feeling now I just want it "fixed", like something that could help me "cope" with everything going on right now. But then, I hear things that MEDS can make things worse, and even anxiety etc can become worse. Also, people just don't become themselves anymore, they just lose all feeling. BUT then again, I don't feel like myself anymore anyway

Does anyone have any advice about how they reacted when anti-depressants were first brought up as a treatment? Everything just seems so scary.

Thanks guys,
Miss-Pants

Old 05-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Taking MEDS - confusion

You need to be careful on what you read on the net and take everything with a grain of salt. People write when something is going bad and very few people write when something is positive and this definately goes for meds. There are a lot of antidepressants out there that do all sorts of things the key is finding the one that works for you. Do your homework and give the med a few weeks before deciding whether it is the right one for you.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

Hi there,

In my opinion, meds should be the last choice, you should only take them after you have tried any other options or you absoutely need them. I have only been on AD for a month, just changed to a 2nd type, coz the first types didnt work on me. The first thing I have notice is it's taken away my anger. I used to be someone who get angry and ****** quite easily, but now I dont really get angry at anything. (It could be the depression itself tho.)

I forgot a dose once a couple of days ago, I was at college and didnt have the pills on me. I just lost control totally and I had to go home to take my pill.

I dunno what advice to give you, but honestly, dont start unless you are unable to control yourself, then they might help to give you a bit of control over yourself. Well, this is my experience anyway.

ExTra

Old 05-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
(female)

Miss-Pants HB User

Thanks for the replies,

I think I might wait another little while and see how I go. Today is a BIG day for me, and I am not sure how I am going to be feeling by the time I go to bed tonight. I'm going to see my b/f today after he wanted a 4 week "break" and today I have to find out what exactly he wants, and where the hell I stand.

How do docs know what to put you on the first time? I know it is all a bit of trial and error. I was at a party last night and told my good friend that I think I might need to go on something soon, and she told me that she thinks I shouldn't because it will make me not "ange" anymore. (By the way my name is Angela, aka angie-pants, miss pants, or just pants) haha
Yeah, so she said it won't make me "ange" anymore, but i don't feel like "ange" anyway. It kinda hurts when your good friend doesn't understand. Its not like I am rushing into them for the sake of it..of course i want to avoid them as much as possible! I am at the point where i cant eat properly, loss of appetite, get to work and cant concentrate at all...just concentrating on holding my tears in, then hiding everything from my family at home too! I mean they sorta know what is happening with me, but i still feel weird about telling them everything i am feeling, when i am feeling it. I really hope i can get past this soon. Maybe I should try St Johns Wort before any hard core ADs?
*sigh*

Old 05-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

Even for St. John Wort, I would still give a second thoguht, coz althogh it's not proper drugs, but still, it's sth. And I would always do some research or even go speak to your doc before hand.

I dunno if it's the same everywhere, but over here in England, it seems the docs tend to give out Citalopram as a starting point, coz it's the most selective type of AD or sth. But no no, meds is no good.

ExTra

Old 05-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

For some of us on this board meds are very neccesary but not everyone with depression needs them. I have been diagnosied with severe major depressive disorder with psycotic features, generalized anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Needless to say I do not funtion well without meds. Meds are not evil for some of us there is no other choice.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 05-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
(female)

even_sly HB User

I don't agree with the "you won't be ange anymore" thing. I mean, who's to say you're you NOW? I mean... If you're struggling with depression, anxiety attacks, etc., you're really not "yourself" now. Or what you perceive yourself to be.

And if your friend likes you now? Then she will just like you more later, when you're more "yourself!"

So, what I'm saying is... Sometimes meds just help us be the real "us." I know myself, that without meds I'm full of anxiety. With meds, I'm more the person I want to be.

Yes, sometimes antidepressants calm you so much that you don't "feel." And in that case, it's probably not the right drug for you or it's too high a dosage. With the meds I take, I can "feel" and have emotions just like everyone else. They're not extreme anymore, though... I don't cry for hours and struggle with as much anxiety on a daily basis.

Hope all that makes sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes meds are a good thing because they can help us be more like the person we really are.

Let us know how you're doing, k? Hugs to you and take care ~ Sly

Last edited by even_sly; 05-26-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
(male)

Breezes HB User

My doctor doesn't prescribe antidepressants unless his patients have been in therapy. He wants them to fully understand why they are depressed. Even then, he is reluctant to give them. I had to twist his arm to get a prescription. He expects his patients to work hard, and he does follow up on things.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi miss,

i also have major depression and anxiety/panic dis. what trg and even_sly said makes lots of sense and i agree with them, because i'm in the same boat, so to speak. meds will not make you different!!! they may bring you back to a so called "normal" level, and take the edge off whatever you are feeling now. they may give you a starting point so that you can go on and get more help through therapy, as you are currently doing. and, if your therapist told you this, then i would really think about it if i were you. the first time i started taking ADs and antianxiety meds, i was also referred by my therapist, after talking with him for a while. we talked and talked, but it didn't seem to get me very far.... i think he saw i needed more than talking. but i continued therapy despite the meds. which is what i always recommend...that is, don't discontinue "talk therapy" just because you start med. therapy.

however, if you think you're anxious and depressed because of your situation with your bf, i'd suggest (like extra said, and you mentioned in your last post) that you should wait a while, and see how things go in that respect, before you start on this path. ultimately, it's your choice!

good luck and God bless!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
(female)

Miss-Pants HB User

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great replies. Well the relationship with the b/f came to and end, so I had 2 very distraught days. Today I actually feel ok, just im just going to see how things go on. Who knows I might start feeling terrible in a few months thinking about the past etc, what could have been...blah blah blah. I saw my psych today and she was happy with how I was. My anxiety has been much better, less frequent...maybe that will be better because I'm not fretting about the relationship anymore. I do feel it is hard to control anxiety sometimes. I only have breathing techniques at this stage, its funny cause you know your thoughts and reactions are ridiculous, but once the body starts in the panic response, it just takes over. I freaked out at the shops the other day, because as i was walking I thought someone gave me a "strange look" and it was downhill from there. I then proceeded to "jog" through the crowd (face probably looking like PURE terror) to go and hide in the toilet! I can see the silly side of that now....but as I said, controlling it is another thing. I really need to build up my support network at the moment while enduring this break-up thing. Then after all that settles down abit, my self-esteem and inner self really needs to be altered. Things wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so negative about myself.

*sigh* 'tis a wonderful kind of existence isn't it? :P

Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTra111 View Post
Hi there,

In my opinion, meds should be the last choice, you should only take them after you have tried any other options or you absoutely need them.

ExTra
Yeah. Taking ad's is a big decision. Do not rush into taking them.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

I'm in the last resort camp. Give it time.

Closed Thread