It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stressedteacher HB User
Red face It makes me so mad..

I cannot tell you all how angry I get when I hear other people saying hold off on the medicines or that the meds are evil or that they are a crutch or that they will change who you are or that they are hard to come off.

These meds have given me my life back. A year ago, I could not function, was thinking about suicide and was self harming. A wonderful doctor got me on a treatment regime that absolutely changed my suicidal and dangerous behavior.

Depression is a chemical problem and needs to be treated with the proper medications. Don't get me wrong- accupunture, herbs, exercise, meditation, journalling all work but the complementing medicine makes it all come together.

If you were a cancer patient or had another type of disease would you wait?

It makes me so mad to see other people who are not doctors giving advice. Yes, we suffer from this disease but having a diagnosis of depression does not make one qualified to discuss types of meds or dosages with the doctor. Yes, we can share our experience but keep it at that and don't point fingers at others because you've got 3 fingers pointing back at you!

I'm sorry for this rant....

stressed teacher

Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

planet jenn HB User
Re: It makes me so mad..

Hi!
i agree, i hated taking meds too, but the right combination saved my life. the meds i'm on are the reason i am alive today.

and yes, people wanting advice on meds need to talk to their doctors. no one med works the same for everyone. dosages are different for everyone. people trying new meds need to wait 6-8 weeks for full potency. unless of course the side effects are dangerous or really bad.

you just have to keep searching, if one med doesn't work try another, or combinations, etc. but you need to keep your doctor informed and ask questions. it took around 12 years to get my meds right where my depression was concerned. some meds sorta worked, but my doctors kept trying and eventually found the right combonation that worked for me.

so you guys need to hang in there, i know it's not easy, but it will be worth it.
don't give up!!!!

jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hi there,
I dont suffer from depression but I support my mom who does. I have often actually wished she would start taking some medication for her depression...if it works, great, if not, then so be it. Meds work for some people and not for others. But depression is such a tough thing to deal with, I think people should do whatever they have to so they can feel better...if that's therapy, great, or meds, that's great too!!! We all want to feel good about life, but life is hard, so we do what we have to. Only you can know what works best for YOU, and that's what makes it right.

Hang in there, and rant anytime!!!! No need to apologize - we're all here to listen!!!

Carsam

Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Forgive me if I ramble - having a bad night. But I've tapdanced around the medical maze enough that I agree - depression that isn't circumstantial is utterly REAL. And as someone who has experienced inexplicable despair I am convinced there are chemical causes - and remedies.

Also, having witnessed my mother breaking down on the kitchen floor when I was a teenager (some 35 years ago) despite her best efforts to hide her emotions from the entire UNIVERSE, no one can convince me that heredity doesn't play a role.

WHY it happens, WHERE it comes from, WHO is to "blame" - doesn't matter. Medication CAN and DOES help, for MANY MANY people.

I'm still here - thanks to meds. I don't LIKE them, I REBEL against them and have recently quit yet another AD. But I'm NOT STUPID!!! I have a problem. It is serious. It is, frankly, life-threatening.

Teacher, get ******, get even, make a difference. Personally I'm trying to cease human interraction. Too painful...

Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

yup!!
i agree with all of you! it's pretty much the same for me. utter despair and depression cannot be solved just by talking, as some people would say, or by taking vitamins and exercising. you can talk till you're blue in the face, but major depression is, like lilc said, a life-threatening illness that will require chemical intervention a lot of the time. some people live with it their whole lives, despite having 'solved' past issues or the like... so, i understand completely, and i KNOW there is a genetic component to all of this. otherwise, it would NOT be so damned hellish!!!!

i want to wish you all the best!!!!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi all, thought I would post here since I am a big presence in the other camp. We can always agree to disagree and I believe that everyone has the right to make their own choices and I would never look down on anyone who made a choice that I might not have made. I am just putting out my generic viewpoint and everyone can make her own decisions and I totally respect that. I am anti-med for many illnesses. We do everything else for our allergies in our house first before we take meds but you better believe we take meds when we need to! I had some reflux once for a period of time (before I realized that my allergies were causing it) and I chose eating smaller meals and elevating the head of my bed over taking medicine but when I have reflux occasionally I will take meds.

I have the same view for depression/anxiety meds. If you cannot cope, you have to take meds first. I just believe differently how when people get some depression and their first thoughts are to take meds before exploring therapy. This is their choice, though, and I totally respect that. I just dislike seeing someone who really hasn't looked into it be led down the med path first before exploring what might be causing the depression which could be fixed in therapy. And Stressed teacher if you were suicidal that would put you in the "can't cope" category in my book. I am sorry that people are making you angry with their comments.

Last edited by Sannah; 05-29-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi sannah,

i definitely agree with you that one should try to first understand the reason or cause of the anxiety and/or depression they experience, but there are some things besides suicidal thoughts that i believe would go into the category of being unable to cope, and therefore will lead people to more "intrusive" methods of dealing with their problems. i think these may be:
1. inability to function at work/in a work environment/to go and earn a living.
2. sustained isolation from others, including friends and even family.
3. problems with close relationships (fights, complete withdrawal).
4. not being able to really enjoy anything anymore, i mean truly enjoy anything.
5. thinking "this will never, ever end"
6. feeling as though you have no strength to even get up out of bed and take a shower, let alone go outside
7. becoming fearful of going outside (for many reasons)
8. constant crying and feeling as though you're in a dark tunnel/black hole/ the abyss/with a dark cloud constantly over you no matter where you go.
9. being unable to smile at absolutely anything
10. no matter what you do (exercise, talk, talk, talk, eat healthy as best you can, take your vitamins and minerals, etc) and you still feel like a complete "rag."
11. physical symptoms, that do not go away no matter how hard you try and for how long, like fast heartbeats, sweating hands, feeling "out of it," "spaced out," or just getting a feeling of "unreality." (panic)
12. sleeping, sleeping, sleeping.
13. becoming an insomniac, and not be able to sleep AT ALL (very high anxiety)

what i mean to say is that even after one talks about their past issues and TRIES very very hard to find out the causes of their problems, and these things STILL last, or even after finding the cause to the problem, these symptoms still don't go away, then i truly believe that a person does need more than just psycological analysis of thoughts. don't get me wrong!!!! i am very much a proponent for therapy, since i am going to one myself, and have for the past ten years, off and on, but because i've experienced some of the symptoms above, even AFTER i've found the causes to my problems, and some ways to alter my perceptions of them, i still found myself feeling the physical part of anxiety and depression. and the feelings were extremely real and extremely difficult to handle. i could not really function in day-to-day life without "more" help. and as much as i hate to admit it, and as much as i hate to depend on chemicals to be "normal", throughout the years, i've HAD to come to the realization, no matter how much i hated it and despised it, that i needed meds to function in life.

i always asked myself for long period of time way back, and i sometimes i still do, why do I have to be taking medications, and other people don't? why do others live their lives so well, and seem so put-together and so happy without any damn "medication intervention" in their lives, to make them feel OK? i was sooooo angry with people who took it for granted that they could live life without depending on meds. sometimes i still am. but like many people on this forum, i hate to admit to the fact that i believe those damned meds saved me, they saved me, yet they ruined me at the same time. there's good and evil in them, you know that? i am grateful that they were invented, greatful beyond explanation, but at the same time, i still, at times, blame myself for not being able to "rise above" all this myself, without "help" from chemicals. and you know what? i've tried to go off of them. God knows i did. i'm even trying now. i'm taking the least possible meds that i can. i've tried to lower my effexor (i'm attempting that again), as well as my anti-anxiety med, and i'm going through hell physically. emotionally, i'm pretty much distraught, especially when i have "life" coming at me with full force and stressing me out to the max. i deal with it to a point, but there's a state where i reach that i just cannot go beyond without this help from medications. i know i'm strong to have been able to withstand all of this nightmare for so long. and i know some of my therapists have been so-so and others have been quite good over the years, and we've talked about past issued at nauseum... even about current problems and the "now." but you know how it is in therapy. some things are "right on" and you "get it" and you see the light right then and there, and you're like, "yeah, wow, i never thought of that." sometimes the therapist tells you what you've been thinking all along, and they validate you and your feelings so that you don't feel that you're completely nuts or crazy, as you thought you were.... these are wonderful experiences. you get to learn some positive things in therapy, you get to talk to someone about your innermost fears, thoughts, anxieties, cares, dreams, future plans, concerns, past problems that affect you NOW. but, for me, although i've tried to learn as much as i could from these good people/therapists, i've never felt physically or emotionally very good--maybe only for a little while, and then when the beasts raised their heads again, i was left with the daily nightmare again.

i really believe that some people will live their whole lives with these illnesses. i really do. but, i'm always hoping for something better to come around the corner, you know?

one more thing i want to say is that i believe as one gets older, depression and anxiety (or both) can either get much, much better, or much much worse. for me, as i've gotten older, it seems to have gotten worse. and like carsam told me once, it's true that a lot of it comes from the environment, which at times stressess me to the max, and then the stress manifests in physical symptoms (migraines, anxiety, depressive symptoms). but, there are times in life, where for all i know, there aren't very many environmental stressors, yet the feeling of darkness in my soul are so very real and so present and so heavy, that they leave me completely exhausted after i get through the day. and this happens while i'm on meds. i don't know how i'd be now-i don't know how i'd feel and function if i weren't on meds.

in any case, i'm am very much a believer in both therapy and meds, if meds are needed to pull someone up from the bottom of the abyss.

i didn't plan to write so much. but i get what you're saying. basically just wanted to say that there're lots more things to consider besides suicide that go into the category of not being able to cope, and that may turn the person to try to find more assistance in order to be able to feel somewhat "normal" once again.

well, whatever anyone's plans and goals are, i'm wishing you all the best. do whatever you need to do to make your lives a little bit better. we all deserve to smile, to take pleasure in things and activities, to enojy one another, and to live so that we can make a difference, no matter how small, in our own lives and the lives of those around us.

God bless!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota, I agree totally that "unable to cope" would include these things (I just assumed that everyone would know what it meant). I just mentioned one - suicide. I was actually thinking about how you were functioning when you started meds and you were unable to cope. My whole argument is basically about our entire "reach for the meds" health care system which covers all illnesses. If you need meds you need meds! I'm talking about people who are having symptoms but can cope and they go to their doc and get meds and that's it. You know, my friend did that. She just considered meds and then none of them worked and then she called me everyday and I talked her through her anxiety, sharing my experience. She is basically fine now. This is where my argument goes. She talked her way out of the anxiety/depression and if she wouldn't have told me about it she would still be ill. (She tried one therapist and came home and told me I was better!)

Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

sannah, yes, i understand it perfectly, and i agree with the first step being to try to find out the reasons for any problems first, and to take the least intrusive of the options out there. like i said, meds saved me, but on the other hand, they ruined me as well. i have very mixed feelings about it. and i hate having to depend on them. i wish to GOD that i could solve my symptoms with just therapy, please believe me!!!! i sometimes cry about it.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota_Skye View Post
i wish to GOD that i could solve my symptoms with just therapy, please believe me!!!!
Dakota, of course I believe you! You don't have to convince me of anything. Do you feel guilty about using meds?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

sannah, i posted under my thread...

Closed Thread