It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User
Im making an appointment

I think I have a mix of anexity/stress and depression. After today I've decided I MUST make an appointment to go in. I guess im just looking for opinions.

I woke up today knowing that today was going to be terrible. I felt out of it and down the whole morning, I didnt want to go to work for the life of me, because I just knew it wouldnt be good. I got to work and my hands were just shaking because I felt so 'wound' up! I was emotional, I cried, I was angry at anything and everyone. The day just couldnt go by fast enough.

I told my mom of my decision. Her reponse was "well it's no wonder! Your always angry, your never in a good mood, something always has you ****** off. It's a shame you have to resort to pills, but if it helps!"

I've been married almost a year. And I feel that is a lot of my stress. I dont feel happy in my marriage already, but that is another story in itself.

I dont have the best insurance, but do some insurance plans cover depression pills? Also what kind of doctor do I see? My mom said I should go to my family car doctor that I have been seeing since I was about 17. But she doesnt seem like the one I should be seeing reguarding depression? Maybe im wrong?

Any help, insight and information would be great.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
(female)

CloudieSkies2 HB User
Re: Im making an appointment

Hi, I am no expert and can only speak of my own experience.

My experience started similar to yours, I had an anxiety attack before going to work, which was very scary.
I too thought I might be depressed, but wasn't sure, or just afraid to face the facts. I hadn't been happy for a long time, and very sad.
Not knowing where to go, I went to my family doctor.
A family practioner can treat depression, or they will refer you to a doctor or place that can help you.
As far as insurance paying for antidepressants, I think most do, we have several different medical insurance over the pass few years...work keeps changing plans, and they have all paid for my antidepressants, it is usually the generic brand.
I hope this sorta helps to answer your questions.

keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

thank you for the fast response. It makes me feel a little better to know that what I decribed is similar to how things started with you. I was questioning posting this or not.

I think my parents hate hearing me say "i may have depression or anxiety" because they have always delt with whatever issues they had. I just wish they would be encouraging and say "I think it's a great idea you should go." instead of being so critcal.

My dad even called me tonight to talk to me about it. He wanted to ask how I was feeling and if there was anything or any way he could help. He wanted to "preach" that god is there. My dad is into his religion, but I dont think that is going to help the way I feel. I get along with my parents. Im almost 24, so I am a bit young, but not young enough to know something is up.

Things have been "hazy" all day. I dont know if that will make sense, I just find myself zoneing out now that Im home.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
(female)

shellshell82 HB User

Hey Piranna,

I've actually never got around (yet) to telling my parents about my depression. I'm afraid of their response since - like you write - my parents think they have always dealt with whatever issues they had. But that doesn't mean they have dealt with the issues properly. Far from it! Part of the reason I went to get treatment is that I wanted to deal with the issues properly, and not do a half-baked job of it - not deny that they are there, like my parents did with some issues when I was a kid.

I think it is great that you are going to get treatment. Are you considering seeing someone about your marriage issues as well? My psychologist started on my marriage last time I saw her... but I don't have (major) issues there, and I wanted to tell her to stick to my depression, I wasn't there for marriage counselling! Maybe I will tell her that next time I see her, if she starts talking about my marriage again. But anyway, thought I would let you know that someone like a psychologist can deal with both depression / anxiety issues and marriage issues, so that could be really beneficial for you - getting help for both at the same time - if you decide to go down that path.

All the best.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi piranna,

cloudieskies and shellshell gave you wonderful advice!!!!
i just want to add that i'm 36, and have been suffering from major depression and anxiety for a long time (on meds for both for at least ten years), and my parents still DON't understand. my dad is a bit better in this respect though, thank God, but he is ill and in a nursing home. however, my mother still believes that nobody can help you if you don't help yourself. she's of the old mindset, like you said, and she thinks that all problems should be solved by the one who has them; she says that no strangers can do anything for you. well, that's b.s. in my opinion. when it comes to mental health, it's just as important to look for help, as it is when it comes to physical health. and my mom would be the first in line to get help if anything physical bothers her....

anyway, i'd like to commend you for reaching out and facing your problems and wanting to better your life. there is help out there, piranna. you DON'T have to live with this!! therapy will absolutely deal with your depression, anxiety, and if need be, marriage issues, like shellshell said!

good luck to you!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

Thank you for the postive words all of you! It really makes things easier for me to know that Im not loosin my marbles here.

I've tried to tell my parents I think i have depression in the past and I didnt get much, I think it fell on deaf ears at the time. My dad is such a strong believer that "god can help" it's like...dad god isnt going to stop me from acting irrational.

Argh, Im just annoyed because my mom said something like "well you should never have kids then" she this because I made a comment about my marriage like "i didnt get married to mother a 25yr old!" and that was her response. I do want kids someday, not in the next couple of years, but someday.

As far as marriage counsiling, I dont know yet. I think part of the reason I am depressed is because of my marriage. It's nothing like I thought it would be.

I doubt any offices are open today but I am going to call and leave a message and see if I can get a call back. Thanks again for all the nice words!

Last edited by Piranna65; 05-28-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Piranna, I would suggest starting with individual therapy first before anything else. This is only my opinion - meds are not going to give you the skills to beat your anxiety and depression. Meds are for when you CANNOT COPE. I recovered from anxiety through therapy. I learned a lot about what caused my anxiety and I made changes and now I am a totally different person. You are anxious/depressed because of the thoughts you have due to your environment your whole life. Keep us posted.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

Im just annoyed because my mom said something like "well you should never have kids then" she this because I made a comment about my marriage like "i didnt get married to mother a 25yr old!" and that was her response. I do want kids someday, not in the next couple of years, but someday.

hi piranna,

it's good that you called and left a message, even if it was during a holiday. they'll probably call you back. i would be annoyed with what your mom said too. that's why it's good to find a therapist. there you can talk about what's bothering you without having to fear what the respone will be, because most of the time you won't be misunderstood, or disrespected, or judged. so yes, i think you're doing the best thing for yourself!!!! keep at it!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

thanks for agreeing with me. My appointment is next tuesday. Im a bit nervous about it. What if I go in there and my doctor "thinks" there is nothing wrong with me?

I mean there is always threapy and all. I think going alone would be a good idea too. After I see my doctor (im sure she'll suggest a few things) I'll look into it.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi piranna,
try not to be nervous. there really is nothing to be nervous about. just be yourself, and tell the doc everything: your thoughts, your feelings, your experiences, both psychological and physical; don't leave anything out. write out some stuff if you think you'll forget it. if you have questions that you may think you'll forget, write them on a piece of paper too! it's what i do sometimes. go in without fear, girl. you're going out there for yourself, to get yourself better. and remember, just like they're looking to see what's going on with you, YOU will be interviewing them, to see if they are someone that YOU feel comfortable with and that you want to continue going to.

ok? wishing you the best and all the luck!
God bless!!!
and tell us how it went!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
(female)

justlilme HB User

I agree to start with a therapist. Try individual therapy first and see what they say. They might suggest that your marriage may be the main cause of your depression. Don't be nervous with your doctor or your therapist, just be yourself. They are not there to judge you, they are there to help.

I started with individual counseling and that's how I found out that the source of my depression is truly physiological. First my therapist wanted to start marriage counseling immediately. Three sessions later, marriage wasn't a problem. Then she taught me behavioral techniques to handle my daughter. Did that in one session, it wasn't a problem. I was still depressed and my therapist told me to see my doctor. I had to hear it from my doctor (rather than from my mom) that depression runs in my family. So now I'm on meds and working with my therapist on my self-esteem.

Let us know how your doctor's appt goes. And just brush off the things your mom says. I know it's hard because we tend to hang onto our parents' words. But your mom may not know best as you were probably raised to believe. Hang in there. The board is here for you.

Closed Thread