It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User
single mom and very depressed

Hello..i was just looking for some advice and to vent i guess...i am 22 years old and im a single mom to a beautiful 10 month old baby boy...i had postpartum depression very bad but that went away after a while..in november, my step dad left my mom and since then, she has been very suicidal...she suffers from bi-polar disorder and post traumatic stress disorder also...she has been in and out of mental health several times in the past few months..the doctor said she is not to live alone so me and my son have been staying here since then..im not working because there are absolutely no day care openings in our area right now and i wont leave my son with someone to watch him that i dont know because my sister did that and the girl was crazy. my car is a piece of junk and i hate relying on it when i have to take my son places but i have no money and my mom is really driving me nuts..shes VERY selfish and she doesnt help me at all with anything. one second shes real nice and the next second, she tells me how horrible of a person i am and very hurtful things..i know she doesnt really mean it and she cant help that shes mentally sick but its really getting to me..i am just so depressed being in this house anymore and having no help with my son..im sure there are people on this board who have done it and know its very hard..im on anti-depressants..they just upped my dose too but everything is just really getting to me..i cant leave my mom alone but i really cant be here..i feel like i am going to have a mental breakdown.but i dont even have anywhere else to go..i have no money or anything..some advice or anything would really help, if anyone has any...thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: single mom and very depressed

Sara, I am really sorry about your predicament. You can't do your duty for your mother if it is going to destroy you. You must think of yourself first and this is not being selfish. It's called self-preservation. Are there any other arrangements for your mother? Housing programs for the mentally ill?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

even_sly HB User

I agree with Sannah... Are there any arrangements you can make for your mother? You have a little boy to take care of. Do you have any brothers or sisters that can help out? Or does your mom have brothers or sisters?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Sara20,

You need some help because you won't be able to take care of your baby properly if you are not well. I would suggest that you call your local Health and Human Services agency. You can probably find their contact information on-line or in the phone book. The United Way is another agency that can help. You definitely need to take action now because you don't sound like you are doing good and you don't have the strength to help your mother anymore. They will assign a case worker that will assist you in solving your problems. I will keep you in my prayers but get some help ASAP.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

Thanks for the advice..Well Wednesday night my mom called me because she was hitch hiking home from like 20 miles away..i went and picked her up and that night, she tried overdosing..i had to call the cops..again..the ambulance came and got her and she was intensive care for a night and then in mental health again..she came home yesterday morning...she seems to be doing alright but this cycle is pretty much repeating itself time after time..they told her she has to go to outpatient therapy 3 times a week for 3 hrs and if she doesnt follow up then she signed a form that she will be sent to warren state hospital for 4 months..thats a big hospital all for mentally sick people...i told her how i felt and she said give her once last chance and thats it..my other sister has 4 kids of her own and my other sister is a drug addict..my mom has 1 sister who is mentally slow who lives with my grandparents..my grandpa is dying of emphezyma and my grandma takes care of him and my aunt..plus my grandparents are very judgemental and arent very supportive or helpful to my mom at all..so family wise, im really the only one that can take care of her..im trying my best to take care of myself, my son and help her but its becoming a bit too much.

Closed Thread