It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

even_sly HB User
Wednesday

Hey all! Wednesday, huh? O.K. then...

You know what? I've been thinking about how much these forums can help people. I mean, I've been a member of forums like this for years. Have come here and been helped by them so much. Now it feels nice to give something back. If you feel good then others feel good. I really believe that. Can it be done over the Internet? Seems like it. I read many posts where people say Sannah has helped a lot... Dakota... Others who are here day after day after day. That tells me it works.

So... I'm heading to Yoga tonight. I'm SO excited. I LOVE my class. The teacher rocks. It's definitely a power class... But spiritual too.

O.K. got a "tip" for ya. "Snuggle" fabric softener is FABULOUS! I smell REALLY good today!! HAHAHAHA!!! True, though.

What's everyone up to? Hope you have a good one. ~ Sly

Last edited by even_sly; 05-30-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Smile Re: Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by even_sly View Post
Hey all! Wednesday, huh? O.K. then...

You know what? I've been thinking about how much these forums can help people. I mean, I've been a member of forums like this for years. Have come here and been helped by them so much. Now it feels nice to give something back. If you feel good then others feel good. I really believe that. Can it be done over the Internet? Seems like it. I read many posts where people say Sannah has helped a lot... Dakota... Others who are here day after day after day. That tells me it works.

So... I'm heading to Yoga tonight. I'm SO excited. I LOVE my class. The teacher rocks. It's definitely a power class... But spiritual too.

O.K. got a "tip" for ya. "Snuggle" fabric softener is FABULOUS! I smell REALLY good today!! HAHAHAHA!!! True, though.

What's everyone up to? Hope you have a good one. ~ Sly
O.K. got a "tip" for ya. "Snuggle" fabric softener is FABULOUS! I smell REALLY good today!!

LOL Glad you're having a great one, Sly!

These boards are good. I see people have to get things off their chest and out of their system and they come here to do so.

I think Sannah is a doctor... or very close to one.

Have a great one!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChaosAD HB User
Re: Wednesday

Hey Sly, good to hear you in good spirits. The day here is going well. Been pretty busy this week so far. I never thought I would say it but I prefer the busy to the nothing to do at work phase. That one can get old real fast. Still having some insomnia. Seems my mind doesn't want to shut down at all lately. nothing too bad, just always wanting to do one thing or another and can't sleep till I do.

It is such a nice day outside. Hopefully I can get off in time to enjoy some of it. No real plans after outside of that heh. Oh, well there is always the gym. That seems to be 1 main stay lately with me. It really helps me get out my anxiety and bad feelings

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hmmm a tip. I love using Febreze in the car. It is a nice cheap way to keep it smelling fresh and nice heh

Last edited by ChaosAD; 05-30-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
(female)

even_sly HB User

Hi Chaos, juju ~ Hope you guys don't get "sick" of me for being so chipper all the time. Believe ME, I have my days...

I like being busy at work too, Chaos. It makes the day go faster and you don't have time to feel icky or whatever.

My whole department just went to lunch (just 3 people). I didn't go because I wanted to stay here and post while eating lunch.

Good to see you guys... ~ Sly

P.S. Thanks for the tip, Chaos! Hehe.

Last edited by even_sly; 05-30-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubeez725 View Post
[B]
I think Sannah is a doctor... or very close to one.
Jujubeez, this is so funny! I have to explain this every few months! I am a stay-at-home mom who successfully worked through so many issues. I have always had a very strong interest in people my whole life with an ability to really listen. My brain thinks about this stuff almost all the time and I read and gather info constantly. I have actually learned a lot from here. I think that HealthBoards needs to give me some kind of training certificate! I am not and never have been a therapist and I am certainly not a doc (because I am better than one!). Thanks for the complement!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
(female)

even_sly HB User

Sannah ~ I'd be interested in hearing your story, if you want to share? Or, point me in the direction of a post you wrote that would tell it?

Or not? Totally up to you.

I'm just very interested in this mental health "stuff" too. I think hearing a "good story" can really help others. It can be inspiring! I've read your posts and you've really got a good handle on all this...

Just letting you know that I think people like you, who really, genuinely care are hard to find. So... Thanks for all you do here.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks again Sly, I would love to share (who doesn't like to talk about themselves!). My mom has all of the symptoms of Narcisistic Personality Disorder (no empathy, self-centered, cannot take criticism). So basically my 2 sisters and I grew up with little affection from our mom. My dad, however, is the most compassionate and empathetic person that I have ever met (he saved my .....). His mother was molested by her uncle. He grew up with issues of low self-esteem and not standing up for himself, etc.) (See where I started all of my analysis!) My oldest sister has been divorced twice. The first was an alcoholic and my other sister has been divorced 3 times (2 of her husbands had substance abuse problems). I am the youngest. They have now found the Lord (I am sorry about the attitude!). I believe in God and all that too but..... Anyway, they have all the answers now..... Moving on, I was sssoooooo unhappy as a child! OMG! Growing up I was a follower, never stood up for myself, low self-worth (a mother's attention/affection is very important!). In my teens I realized what my life was like and switched the boundaries the other way. When I was younger I had zero boundaries and as a teen I put up the thick wall to protect myself from others (just basically standing up for myself but could only do it by keeping others away). This is when I guess I developed my fear of intimacy. Worked my way through college (grew up poor BTW). Had first therapy appt. in my mid-20's. Worked on that fear of intimacy and learned that I didn't have good boundaries so I worked on that. I met my husband when I was 28. This further enabled me to work on that fear of intimacy and then I realized I had low self-worth, so I worked on that. Anxiety now an issue and start working on that and realize that meeting my own needs is an issue so work on that. Have children and when the second one came I became a screamer, poor children, still anxious. Two years later I stop the stupid screaming and try to make it up to my little girls. The last 10 years I have worked on issues without a therapist (starting right before having children). After I fixed the boundaries, self-worth, meeting my own needs, (all of these with a therapist) and learning some social skills, I realized that I could still be triggered (this has been over the last year). I stopped the triggering myself and now I can honestly say that I am in a pretty good place. (Triggering meaning that I would be in a situation and get all anxious because it reminded me of the past.) Hope I didn't leave any juicy tidbits out!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

We Love You Sannah!!!!!!!

Last edited by ExTra111; 05-30-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
(female)

even_sly HB User

Sannah ~ WOW. Thank you SO much for sharing!!

You've been through a lot... You have. And to do so much of it on your own? I'm in awe... I really am.

I'm finally at a point where I'm doing a lot of it on my own. I feel like I finally have a “clue.” It's kind of like you... I went to therapy to get the tools and now I'm putting them into place. Is that what you've found?

I missed out on a lot of attention from my mom too. She just didn't give me what I "needed" growing up, so I looked for it in others. And it’s been something I’ve had to work out too.

Fear is a big thing, isn’t it? It leads us to do a lot. I try to remind myself that fear is an illusion. It’s something we “create,” really. I mean, it's fear of something happening... And how does anyone really know if something's going to happen... Unless they have ESP, right? Hehe.

HAHA on your sisters “finding the Lord.” I believe in God too, but yeah... That stuff can get irritating if it's in your face 24/7.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing... The best thing when you "get it" is to "give it" to others. And that's what you're doing. VERY cool!! Thank you for all you do here... I know I speak for others too. ~ Sly

Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Talking Re: Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
Jujubeez, this is so funny! I have to explain this every few months! I am a stay-at-home mom who successfully worked through so many issues. I have always had a very strong interest in people my whole life with an ability to really listen. My brain thinks about this stuff almost all the time and I read and gather info constantly. I have actually learned a lot from here. I think that HealthBoards needs to give me some kind of training certificate! I am not and never have been a therapist and I am certainly not a doc (because I am better than one!). Thanks for the complement!

Sannah,
I was soooo serious! I figured you must be an "undercover" doctor.

I just read your story... well, you've been here a while and I haven't, so be patient w/the newcomers. We're gonna be under the impression that you're the resident doc.

You've been through a lot. I can see where and why you'd be pegged for a doctor. You've got the right terminology for the right situations; but that's all through trial-and-error.

You've done some serious work on yourself--gotta give you big props for that. Most people just skip right along and blame everyone else for their issues, you know?

Keep doing what you do, Sannah!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks JuJu, Extra and Sly! Sly, I like what you said especially about fear. Remember that fear is just an emotion that we have brought with us from the past because of our experiences and how we feel in relation to those experiences (the experiences were greater than us). In my experience, I overcame my fear by becoming greater than my experiences. It's basically self-awareness and examining every feeling, thought and experience that is in your head. I know my self very, very, very well.

Closed Thread