It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

sarah1515 HB User
Depression/Medication

hi, I've been struggling with depression on and off for awhile now but lately its been REALLY bad. I just feel depressed 24/7, I can't shake it. I feel like theres no way I'll ever feel good again. I don't feel good or happy doing anything. I have an appointment to see a counselor. I'm afraid I'm going to have to start taking meds and I really don't want to but I think I have no choice. A lot of people say bad things about medication like prozac and zoloft. Is there anything I should worry about??

Old 05-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stressedteacher HB User
Re: Depression/Medication

Hey-

I am glad that you are on your way to feeling better.

I think it's also important to know that if an AD works for one person, it may be totally wrong for another. Finding the right mix can be tough but hang in there. One day you'll take your pills and suddenly, you'll think I'm feeling good again.

There are lots of us here on this board who have taken medication to get relief from depression. I believe that depression is as much an illness as cancer or something else. It is a depletion of chemicals and yes, yoga, meditation, exercise, self will can all be great but to get the relief I needed I use medication. Medication worked wonders for me.

As for me, I was an energetic high school English teacher when depression and anxiety arrived on my doorstep. These disorders ruined a 6 week trip to South Africa. I thought I was dying and was depressed beyond belief. I shut down, started self-harming throughts and suicidal ideations. I didnt want to leave my house. Keeping appointments was difficult because I thought I couldnt do it.

I found an amazing therapist and doctor and with the right mix of AD's I am back to normal, and people are saying, wow you're back to your old self. However, I will never be that old self again because of my experiences of suffering with depression and anxiety. I have become patient and so much kinder for the hell I went through.

Be well.

Hang in there.

We are here for you.

Stressed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

Of cause you do have a choice, med is just one option out of billions to treat depression. I fighted with my doctor for a while before we came to a an agreement of trying out some AD. I think it really depends on how depressed you are, taking meds could give you a little boost and perhaps a bit more energy to deal with the everyday's, but it could also worsen your condition before you feel any better, if you are put on the wrong AD. It really depends on person to person. You might be lucky to be put on the right meds at the first place and feel the effect quick, but it doesnt happen often. I am on my 3rd combination now, and I have not had any luck so far, and to be honest, my 2nd type got me much worse and I went totally out of control from time to time, now I am on Prozac + Diazepam, and it's slightly better. But to be honest, you have probably heard it many times, but I wouldnt even think about start taking meds unless you absolutely need to, even you doc tells you to, you dont have to listen, try other options before taking it, unless you believe in depression is purely only caused by brain chemcials imbalance, which I personally do not believe in it at all. Dont get me wrong, it could be part of the reason, but surely not fully.

Good Luck.

ExTra

Old 05-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

See your counselor. Inform yourself before going the medication route. Read the good and the bad. Chemical imbalance is still theory.

Take care.

Closed Thread