It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
(male)

jayau HB User
Can depression itself lead to sexual dysfunction?

I've tried searching for quite a bit now, and find that most people talk about sexual problems linking to depression medications. What about just plain depression without the medication? Doesn't that itself lead to a loss of sex drive also? I think that's what I'm suffering from currently. I haven't seen a doctor for it, nor have I taken any medications. Most of the time I find myself trying to fight depression, and it seems to work sometimes. I think knowing that you're depressed helps a whole lot. Ocassionally, I find myself saying to myself, why let this bother me? Or I may sometimes sayto myself, just don't think about it. However, what I can't seem to fight off is whenever something really bad happens. Then I'll lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling for about 30 minutes thinking in detail about the horrible situation. Is that considered depression? Even if I have something else to do in the meantime, I would still have to allow myself to think about the horrible situation before anything else. And once I'm done thinking about it, I still feel horrible/down. Now as for my sex drive, it's been very unusual. I tend to masturbate more often than I have sexual intercourse with my wife. But for for the past year in a half now, I've been having a very low sex drive. I can sometimes go for days of not having the thought to masturbate, and this is unusual for me especially. I find that my penis no longer gets hard as before, and I almost always ejaculate prematurely. Whenever I start to masturbate, I would lose the drive in the middle of it. My penis softens up and I no longer feel like continuing. It's like I just lost interest in the middle of sex. However, I find that if I try to ejaculate earlier, I can still do it. But of couse the feeling is still not the same like before I ever had any sex issues. I'm actually afraid to have sex with my wife now because I'm too afraid that my penis will just die down in the middle of it. I'm pretty sure it will too. I still get aroused by looking at sexy women, but when it comes to masturbating, it's almost never satisfying. Forgot to mention, I never really had this lost of sex drive until I smoked marrijuana for a little over a year. I remember everytime I smoked marrijuana during the night, I would masturbate and ejaculate. It was the best ejaculation ever under the influence of marrijuana. But unfortunately, I lost the sex drive eventually. I've come to a conclusion that marrijuana is what led to my depression, and that depression led to my sexual dysfunction. Can this be correct? Or is that marijuana is the cause of it all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User
Re: Can depression itself lead to sexual dysfunction?

Yes, it happened to me. I was so depressed after I had my first baby it lasted a year. I actually thought it was something other than depression and talked to my OB/GYN about it and he knew instantly, I guess it happens often enough. I was first put on Zoloft and it made me manic and gave me quite a sex drive but problems with orgasm. Then I tried prozac and lexapro and did better but not perfect. Now I am on the Emsam patch, there are no sexual side effects with it and it does not give me insomnia so I am doing better.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
(female)

Toffee1 HB User

Yes depression can be the cause - it doesnt always have to be related to medication.

My sex drive has really hit rock bottom so it has happened to me. Dont really feel like it at all most of the time. My husband though is very understanding and patient so I am grateful about that.

I dont know how your wife is feeling but hopefully she is the type who will understand and somebody you can talk to about. For awhile I thought there was something really wrong with me and I felt a lot of guilt about it.

Warm wishes xx

Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
(male)

Breezes HB User

Less interest is a symptom of depression. I think looking to the relationship is helpful. Finding ways to make it feel closer can create a nice spark, and do wonders for depression.

Closed Thread