It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

justlilme HB User
my depression correlates with my cycle

Do any of you experience this? What do your doctors say about this? My obgyn wants to switch me to Zoloft, but my family doc wants to keep me on Celexa. They say that birth control doesn't really help, which I don't understand. What do you all do to cope?

Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: my depression correlates with my cycle

Yes that has happened to me. I get anxiety not depression. I did try serafem (prozac). I am now perimenopausal and haven't had a cycle since Jan. But did get anxiety about 10 days before it started. Take what works for you. God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi lilme, yes i do have the same problem. about two weeks before my period starts, my hormones are all over the place. but i must say, since i started this new med--lamictal, i've seen a bit of improvement there as well. i'm not holding my breath, but i am hopeful. i also get very bad migraines and barely drag myself anywhere. have missed quite a few days of work just because of that. yoga helps because it stretches the muscles of the body, with the different postures (but do NOT do the upside down postures!!!). i take acetaminophen for the menstrual cramps, and that helps a lot. for bloating, i take some other stuff (plus yoga really helps with getting rid of the extra gas, if you know what i mean). the more you move your body, as in the "cobra pose," the "downward dog pose," and other poses (look these up on the web) the more you'll stretch out the muscles, and the more the tension is likely to leave the body.

you're not alone!!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

justlilme HB User

Lamictal? Hmm, I'll see. I have an appt with my doc in two weeks and we'll discuss what med regimen he and my ob agree on.

Isn't yoga great?! It has helped my circulation and arthritis. Now my husband is doing it because he doesn't like his new donut around his belly, heehee. His boss has been bringing in junk food like cream puffs and donuts and he hasn't been able to resist, thus his new belly, which I think is rather cute, lol!

I haven't had a migraine since I started Celexa. I lucked out but I feel sorry that you still have yours.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi lilme,

it's ok, thanks for the empahty. you're a sweetheart!!! i'm glad you know how it is to have one of those unbearable head pains. they can be sooooo debilitating!! when i saw my neuro last time--together we decided to increase my topamax dosage to 75mg. bid. and it's actually been better since, thank God. i feel as if i don't want to jinx it, although it's silly to think that way, i know.

yeah, go yoga!!

Last edited by Dakota_Skye; 06-02-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
(female)

greenidme HB User

Man can I relate! I haven't had a period in 4 months but STILL go through cycles at about the time I should be getting it. I'm on Lamictal 200mg, Zyprexa 5mg 2x a day, Cymbalta 60mg. I am very tired all the time because of the Zyprexa but not taking it is worse.
I'm in a depressed state lately... everything is a chore.
My ex-husband died in March so that adds to it. We have a 17 year old son who is coping as best a kid that age can after losing his dad.
I could have written this post! Good to hear suggestions too!
I make a soy shake daily and take extra calcium and fish oil. Those do seem to help. I'm just waiting for this episode to PASS. I know it will. They always do eventually!

Closed Thread