It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
do phycs raise meds just to keep you away?

I went to see my phyc a few days ago and he raised my celexa from 40mg to 60mg. I was a bit shocked, i don't really know what to think. I guess if they are professionals they know what they're doing, but sometimes i think they just do it to keep patients away. I dunno. I like my phyc though, i didn't used to, but now he seems like he does care. I don't have a therapist (the waiting list on the NHS is 1 year or so) So he basically just asks how i am doing when i see him every month, and monitors my meds. I told him i was feeling less depressed, but still getting disturbing intrusive thoughts so that's why he raised my meds. Do you think raising my meds will help with that? Has anyone had a similar experience with a phycarist?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Re: do phycs raise meds just to keep you away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxzoexxx View Post
I went to see my phyc a few days ago and he raised my celexa from 40mg to 60mg. I was a bit shocked, i don't really know what to think. I guess if they are professionals they know what they're doing, but sometimes i think they just do it to keep patients away. I dunno. I like my phyc though, i didn't used to, but now he seems like he does care. I don't have a therapist (the waiting list on the NHS is 1 year or so) So he basically just asks how i am doing when i see him every month, and monitors my meds. I told him i was feeling less depressed, but still getting disturbing intrusive thoughts so that's why he raised my meds. Do you think raising my meds will help with that? Has anyone had a similar experience with a phycarist?

This is just wrong, IMO:

I don't have a therapist (the waitng list on the NHS is 1 year or so) So he basically just asks how i am doing when i see him every month, and monitors my meds.

It seems to me that a combination of the medicine AND a therapist is what helps a person through depression.
Just giving you more meds isn't the whole of the matter; it's part of it. You still need to sort through your feelings, be able to talk to someone and get a different perspective on the situation, make goals for yourself (taking things step-by-step to meet the goal).

Is there any other way you can arrange to see a therapist other than this terribly long waiting list?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

Thanks for the reply. The only other way i can get therapy without waiting is by paying, and both myself and family are poor and can not afford it.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

I think this is a very common probs throughout the UK, therapies are in very short supply, probably the same in many other countries. It's a real shame not that many people work in this area and so many ppl suffer from this. I have read sth a while ago, it says Britain is a "Prozac Nation", due to the short supply of the therapies and going private is very expensive, so very often doctos are left with very little options but give out "candies". Yes I do think doctors sometimes hand out anti depressants like candies.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

In my opinion antidepressants are handed out way to frequently to people who really do not need them. Antidepressants at different levels do different things so an increase in dosage might help the intrusive thoughts

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread