It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
(female)

moonlitenite HB User
Thumbs up Different anti-depressants for different people

Each person is different and some meds work for some people and don't for others. Here's what happened in my case. I took lexapro, wanted to kill everyone, I took paxil, it gave me nightmares and I thought of suicide for the week I was taking it. I took cymbalta 60 mg. for about a year. It seemed to help some with the pain, but I sweated excessively and finally realized that it wasn't helping my depression. I had recently gotten disability and medicaid, so I could finally see a Dr., had some money to pay my bills, but I was still having (not going to get into details) very morbid thoughts. I went back to my doc and told him the cymbalta wasn't working because with all the good things that were finally starting to happen for me, I was still very unhappy. He put me on effexor. One 37.5 mg. daily for a week, and still taking the cymbalta daily to wean myself off of it. After the first week, I started taking 75 mg. effexor daily and one cymbalta every third day, till another week went by. I went back to my doc after the first week and I was already feeling much better with only an occasional bad thought. He told me to go ahead and start taking 150 mg. of the effexor and see how I felt. I was going to wait another month and see how I felt, but decided to go ahead as he had suggested and start taking the 150 mg. since I was feeling so much better. I have been taking 150 mg. now for a month and I feel like I have me back. What a joy to be happy again and to be able to cope with everyday life. My hubby hugged and kissed me in the kitchen after about the third week and said, you know I do love you, I said, thanks for sticking with me and he laughed and said, it wasn't easy. So, just wanted to relate this story, because different meds work for different people, so if you don't feel your meds are working for you, please, talk to your Dr. and tell him, and hopefully you'll find what works for you, like I did.

moonlitenight

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: Different anti-depressants for different people

hi moon,

it's good to see an encouraging post here!!

you go girl!!!!!!!

wishing you many, many wonderful days ahead!!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

I wouldn't mind trying it but too scared of the coming off of it part. I heard its hard on this one. I'm glad you are feeling better though!!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I was on Effexor for two years and it does help. Like with many medications, after you take them so long sometimes they stop working. I was up to 300 mgs and the doctor could not give me any more so I was put on Paxeva and Cymbalta a few months ago. Not feeling much better but was recently put on Lamictal so hopefully this will make a difference. Effexor was a life saver for me. Coming off Effexor was not as bad as I had thought. It took a month and I had no bad side effects. I was also put on Cymbalta at the time so this may have helped. The good thing about Effexor was that I had no weight gain but now with these others, I have went up a whole size and feel bloated.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

i'm glad you're reaching out happy days!
i'm also on lamictal, 4th week of the starting pack, now. still on effexor. i'm hopeful. i'm glad to see a hopeful post about meds.

i wish you all the luck in the world!!!! if you're not doing it, please consider some form of talk therapy too.

whatever you do, God bless!

Closed Thread