It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
(female)

Toffee1 HB User
Counselling - Giving it another try!

Hi,

Just a little note to say I have taken the first steps in going to see a counsellor and giving therapy another try. My first proper session is going to be on Tuesday so hopefully it will go ok and hopefully I will start to mend and find it helpful.

I know that I am going to have to do a lot of homework out of the sessions as there are a lot of issues surrounding my depression but hopefully the sessions will work. I am just going to take it one step at a time and hope that I can be emotionally honest this time and talk about what I need to - not put up my usual barrier.

Warm wishes x x

Last edited by Toffee1; 06-03-2007 at 02:49 AM.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User
Re: Counselling - Giving it another try!

Hey, good work for taking the first step. Try to be as honest as possible, but if there it something you really don't wanna talk about YET, just don't. They don't expect anyone to tell them everything in the first couple session anyway.(I am sure you know this anyway) I pertended I was better than I actually was for until my 3rd or 4th session. And again, when I had my assessment last week with a new therapist, I sounded much better than I actually am. But yeah, try to be as honest as possible. I personally cant quite do it yet, but one day, we can all do it...

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by ExTra111; 06-03-2007 at 04:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Toffee, I am so happy to hear this. Keep us posted!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

Toffee1 HB User

Will do my first proper session is Tomorrow so getting more nervous as the actual event comes nearer but I will try really hard to be as open as possible and wont expect too much of myself too soon.

Warm wishes xx

Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffee1 View Post
Will do my first proper session is Tomorrow so getting more nervous as the actual event comes nearer but I will try really hard to be as open as possible and wont expect too much of myself too soon.

Warm wishes xx
Sounds great, Toff!

Try not to be too nervous; remember, the doctor/therapist is just as human as YOU!
They eat, sleep and go to the bathroom just like YOU.

They are there to help you.

It'll be just fine-- watch and see!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

When I first saw my therapist i couldn't believe it. How could a 27 year old guy relate to a 52 year old perimenopausal grandmother. I have kids older than him. That was a year ago. I am still seeing him. Last month was the first time I cried. There are things I would feel more comfortable telling a woman and I won't tell him. But overall I do feel he has helped and been supportive. Luckily there is no transferece. It would be like robbing the cradle . Godbless

Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Smile Re: Counselling - Giving it another try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
When I first saw my therapist i couldn't believe it. How could a 27 year old guy relate to a 52 year old perimenopausal grandmother. I have kids older than him. That was a year ago. I am still seeing him. Last month was the first time I cried. There are things I would feel more comfortable telling a woman and I won't tell him. But overall I do feel he has helped and been supportive. Luckily there is no transferece. It would be like robbing the cradle . Godbless
There are things I would feel more comfortable telling a woman and I won't tell him.

That's why I pick women doctors!
They understand things not only as doctors, but as women

Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChaosAD HB User

I actually prefer the female therapist. I did talk to some male ones in picking a therapist, but I found I was able to talk easier with a female one. Not sure why, but I figure best to go with what makes me most comfortable in talking.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Smile Re: Counselling - Giving it another try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosAD View Post
I actually prefer the female therapist. I did talk to some male ones in picking a therapist, but I found I was able to talk easier with a female one. Not sure why, but I figure best to go with what makes me most comfortable in talking.
You always go with who makes you the most comfortable.

Now how did I miss this:
It would be like robbing the cradle

Sounds like somebody got a crushie-crushie on their dockie-dockie!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
(female)

Toffee1 HB User

Thanks everybody!

I wasnt nervous about her it was more about talking about things I had kept hidden for so long. I wasnt able to post Yesterday as I didnt get home until 8pm in the evening and I was so exhausted. I didnt realise how exhausting it could be - I just collapsed on the sofa and made sure I went to bed early to get plenty of sleep.

I was very proud of myself - I found myself talking about the issues around my dad's death that I had been playing over and over again in my mind - things I had never been able to talk to, to anybody before. She did a very good technique of making me feel relaxed and safe and visualising it like I was seeing it on a video that I could fast forward etc and beginning to make the images less powerful.

It was very difficult and very scarey but I definitely felt that it was productive and that I would do well to keep it up - she definitely was the right person for me to go to she knew exactly what she was doing and was somebody I could talk to.

I am just glad the first one is over.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Toffee, I am so happy that you have a good therapist match. There must be a lot of good therapist over there in Britain. Pucca Chick has a good therapist too.

Chaos, maybe you like female therapists because your feelings are in water signs which are feminine.

Closed Thread