It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

kpoe HB User
Help, Prescriptions.....

I've taken Paxil for almost 10 years for anxiety (It helps). I feel depressed too, increasingly over the past 3 years. Much of it could be from my mom's lengthy illness and death a year ago. Regardless, I'm having difficulty enjoying life. I'm usually outgoing, but I've been isolating.

I don't want to d/c paxil. I have talked to my doc about increasing the dose, but I'm afraid it won't be effective for my depression since I have been on it for so long. I'm thinking about scheduling with a psychiatrist, rather than my PCP to discuss med changes. I just wanted to ask if anyone out there is taking a cocktail of medication with Paxil. I would be interested to know what has been prescibed along with Paxil.

I appreciate any info.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: Help, Prescriptions.....

I'm usually outgoing, but I've been isolating.

I don't want to d/c paxil. I have talked to my doc about increasing the dose, but I'm afraid it won't be effective for my depression since I have been on it for so long. I'm thinking about scheduling with a psychiatrist, rather than my PCP to discuss med changes. I just wanted to ask if anyone out there is taking a cocktail of medication with Paxil. I would be interested to know what has been prescibed along with Paxil

hi kpoe,

isolating is not a very good sign, kpoe. i know it from my experience. i think you're right in not wanting to d/c your paxil just now. i think that if you've gone for a long time with a medication that has worked for you, keep going with it. increasing the dose plus adding another med. may actually help you. i've done this and it's been better for me.

many people (together with their psychiatrists) choose to add either another antidepressant, such as wellbutrin, or a mood stabilizer to their med regimen, when just one AD doesn't do the job anymore. mood stabilizers they use nowadays may include lithium (not used only for bipolar anymore), lamictal (what i am on now), depakote, and neurontin--to name a few. sometimes they use topamax. yes, lots of these are antiseizure medications but they've been approved for the treatment of depression in conjunction with an antidepressant.

i hope i've been of some help to you. please ask your doctor and make sure to talk about the pros and cons of any medication you may take in the future.

also, if you are not, or have never been in therapy, i would strongly, strongly suggest that you go. i'm sure you know that medications only solve problems to a certain extent. however, they do not solve our thoughts, feelings, wants, desires, dreams, fears, guilt, grief, etc. your mom's passing has undoubtedly affected your life.

you can also come here to talk about yourself and to ask questions. this is a great place to start.

i wish you the best of luck in getting better!!
God bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Wink Re: Help, Prescriptions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoe View Post
I've taken Paxil for almost 10 years for anxiety (It helps). I feel depressed too, increasingly over the past 3 years. Much of it could be from my mom's lengthy illness and death a year ago. Regardless, I'm having difficulty enjoying life. I'm usually outgoing, but I've been isolating.

I don't want to d/c paxil. I have talked to my doc about increasing the dose, but I'm afraid it won't be effective for my depression since I have been on it for so long. I'm thinking about scheduling with a psychiatrist, rather than my PCP to discuss med changes. I just wanted to ask if anyone out there is taking a cocktail of medication with Paxil. I would be interested to know what has been prescibed along with Paxil.

I appreciate any info.

Schedule w/ a psychiatrist and see what can be done.
They can come up w/something that will help you.

Please, please don't isolate yourself. There are plenty of chatters on these boards!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
(female)

even_sly HB User
Re: Help, Prescriptions.....

If you're isolating now, I think it's good that you're coming here for advice and to just talk. Hopefully it will help you?

I have OCD, so I've taken other drugs with SSRIs, like Paxil. I've taken Anafranil, Buspar... I think that's it.

My best combo that worked for many years was Celexa and Anafranil. But that stopped working after a long time too.

Now I'm just on Zoloft... 200 mgs., though. A high dose for OCD, they say.

Ask about Zoloft... If you stick with an SSRI (Paxil is one, Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa, etc. too), they are all pretty close in side effects and stuff.

Good luck... Let us know how you're doing, k? ~ Sly

Closed Thread