It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #1
(female)

tinytoes HB User
weaning off antidepressants

i am currently taking zoloft and wellbutrin. i still have major bouts of depression. i see my dr. this week but i was curious of the whole weaning process. has anyone weaned themselves off of zoloft? i would love to not take any pills but i know that my depression will still be present. 1/2 of my depression is my self image and weight gain. i just started weight watchers and i am hoping that'll help. i also dont want to be a guinea pig and try different pills until one works.

anyone with advice or story to share?

thanks

Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

Mak28 HB User
Re: weaning off antidepressants

Hi TinyToes,

I have weaned off of Zoloft and I haven't used it for about 5 months. Now, I was on Zoloft a number of years, maybe 8, so my "weaning" experience maybe be only to me personally. The withdrawal affects of Zoloft can be so powerful and unexpected, so be prepared. I went through a massive depression, cried every day for 3 1/2 weeks, then eventually it slowly stopped and never felt worse in my life. Quitting smoking is cake compared to that. I went on message boards and found out there were other people who found the withdrawal so bad, they went back on them. No doctor can prepare you for what is going to happen because honestly, they have no idea. I have been off of them since March and it does get better. You may not have any symptoms and I hope you don't. Its just something that the drug companies don't clue the doctors in on. Good luck!! You can do it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
(female)

tinytoes HB User

how did you wean? did you decrease dosage? take them everyother day? i tried to stop taking them (cold turkey) and i was a WRECK!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Don't skip days your just putting your body through mini withdrawls. You need to find a way to go down by lets say ten percent, stay there til your body is comfortable then drop again by ten percent. Some people coming off of Effexor count the beads inside the med. The slower you go the better off your body and well being will be. Look on the web for Paxil Withdrawl or Tapering.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
(male)

sgt207 HB User

I weaned down to about 2 or 3 mg's over a long period of time then stopped. The ensuing two months were the worst of my life. I was re-started on a small dose of zoloft [about 8 mg's] and the withdrawal stopped. This is not meant to scare you,but please do it slowly and under a doctor's supervision.

Do a search on this - there are a lot of my previous posts, and posts of others like sick of effexor. Hang in there and do it slowly.

Last edited by sgt207; 06-05-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

As with all meds, taper gently and hope for the best.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
(female)

tinytoes HB User

thanks for the replies! i am so happy to have found this board! i see my dr. today. i am tired of taking drugs to be "happy" but i am also aware that in my situation, i will benefit from some sort of drug therapy. i am just tired of takin 2 different ones. i guess i wouldn't mind staying on wellbutrin only but i am sooo over zoloft! i have prepared myself for the worst in the tapering. my dh on the other hand, isn't. he thinks i should just go cold turkey. he was on effexor awhile ago and quit cold turkey (didn't refill prescription) and he was fine so he thinks i would be the same way. boy, is he in for a rude awakening! LOL!

so i guess i don't know what i should ask my dr. for? i am convinced i have some sort of a thyroid disorder but my blood work came back "ok". i have gained 30 lbs since last fall. my depression seems to be back and in full throttle! my pms is 110% worse than before. i seem to start with the depression 2 weeks before. it's fun being me sometimes! LMAO~

Last edited by tinytoes; 06-07-2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
(male)

Breezes HB User

I tapered off Zoloft in a couple of weeks without any withdrawal symptoms. I felt less depressed when I stopped taking it.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
(female)

tinytoes HB User

my doctor said i could just stop taking zoloft and switch to cylmbata (sp). has anyone done this before?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I have always been diagnosed as having Major Depressive Disorder. I had been on Effexor and Ativan for two years until November 2006. I was up to 300 mgs of Effexor and it just wasn't working for me anymore. The doctor put me on Paxeva and Cymbalta in addition to the Ativan. I have recently been diagnosed as being Bipolar II since I am now experiencing highs and lows versus the lows all the time. My doctor added Lamectal to the "cocktail". He told me if Lamectal worked, he was going to take me off the antidepressants. I got so tired of taking all these meds, I decided to go cold turkey on the Paxeva and Cymbalta last Sunday. I was feeling fine for the first few days and my doctor said if I felt okay then no problem. Now I am only on Ativan and Lamectal. I have been feeling the withdrawals for about three days now and it has not been a vacation. I am extremely dehydrated, dizzy, headaches, some diarrhea, body aches, and just feeling really tired. Took the last few days off work and will probably stay home tomorrow since it is Friday and hopefully by Monday will feel better.

I do believe that everyone has different reactions to antidepressants both going on and coming off. I do not feel well but it is not as bad as I expected. You can try cold turkey since you are going on another antidepressant at the same time. I think it is worse when you go cold turkey without being on any meds. If you begin to feel sick, call your doctor and he can give you a lower dosage of the Zoloft while you begin the Cymbalta.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Do it slowly, and one drug at a time.... 3/4 of a tablet per day for 3 days, half a tablet a day for 3 days, 1/4 of a tablet a day for 3 days (the interval can be longer if you feel any withdrawl reaction)

Wait a couple of weeks, then do the same with the other drug.

Of course, you should have your doctors approval before you quit.

Hey, if you're trying to loose weight, try taking a glass of Metamucil 15 minutes before each meal, to help fill you up - its simple and it works!

Last edited by aussie_jono; 06-07-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
(female)

tnpugs HB User

I've never posted anything on any message boards before, but I feel I need some encouragement. If I talk to my doctor he'll just tell me to take more Zoloft. I've been on Zoloft for the past 16 years for panic attacks and general anxiety. I've recently decided to go off it because I don't feel I need it anymore and I don't even know who I am when I'm not on it. I took 50 mgs. for the about 15 years and just in the last year I started taking 75 mgs. (recommended by my doctor of course). Now I want off it! My liver, I'm sure is suffering from this toxicity I've been feeding it all these years. I started coming off of it about a month ago. I dropped down the 50 mgs. for about 10 days and I felt o.k. Had some diarrhea and nausea but not too bad. Then I dropped down to about 37 mgs. and for the first few days I felt fine and then WHAMO! The withdrawls really started in. I feel seasick and off-balance, have stomach cramps, feel anxious and uptight but the worst thing is I feel so lethargic. Is this normal? I feel like I've taken a tranquilizer or something. I feel almost comatomse, like I can barely speak or keep my eyes open and it's really freaking me out! I'm having trouble sleeping because I'm afraid I won't wake up because I feel so doped-up. I'm waking up with night sweats, etc. I went back up to 50 mgs. today because I don't think I can hang with these symptoms and keep my sanity. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Can anyone confirm the lethargy is a withdrawal symptom. The rest I can somewhat deal with but for some reason this particle symptom is really upsetting to me.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

I wouldn't advise anyone to do without talking to your doctor first,
but,I did and it worked.

I was on prozac for 4 years,it worked great at first,then the longer
I took I noticed I was getting more depressed.Then my dr. put me
on WellbutrinXL,I actually had suicidal thoughts on that,my doctor
just being a GP would not take me off it herself.She wanted me to see
a psychatrist, and without insurance I could not afford to see one,so
I weaned myself off by taking it only every other day for 2 weeks,then
twice a week for a week,then I stopped.I had no crazy thoughts,etc.

But,you will NOT believe it,now that I am on no antidepressants,I feel
better than I have for years.I told my doctor what I did,she did not get
mad,she said she is glad that it worked out well for me.She now put me
on Ativan(anxiety drug) and it has helped alot with my social phobia and
I am doing pretty good,actually great compared to 3 years ago.

Last edited by Sherri5186; 07-18-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
(female)

KarenRB53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri5186 View Post
I wouldn't advise anyone to do without talking to your doctor first,
but,I did and it worked.

I was on prozac for 4 years,it worked great at first,then the longer
I took I noticed I was getting more depressed.Then my dr. put me
on WellbutrinXL,I actually had suicidal thoughts on that,my doctor
just being a GP would not take me off it herself.She wanted me to see
a psychatrist, and without insurance I could not afford to see one,so
I weaned myself off by taking it only every other day for 2 weeks,then
twice a week for a week,then I stopped.I had no crazy thoughts,etc.

But,you will NOT believe it,now that I am on no antidepressants,I feel
better than I have for years.I told my doctor what I did,she did not get
mad,she said she is glad that it worked out well for me.She now put me
on Ativan(anxiety drug) and it has helped alot with my social phobia and
I am doing pretty good,actually great compared to 3 years ago.
Just wondered if you're still successfully staying off Prozac? I've been on it many years and its pooping out on me so was thinking of weaning myself off.

Karen

Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

shorebird HB User

The slower you wean off meds the better in my experience. I also suggest you start some form of therapy prior to weaning so you have something to fall back on. For me I never could have gotten off meds without learning the TEA form thought countering exercise I learned in cbt. Whether it is cbt or some other form of therapy it would be wise to learn some alternative approach before you wean off your meds.

Closed Thread