It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

desperate1 HB User
Honest opinions of meds

Hi there,
I normally post on a few different boards, but I've been lurking around here for a while now, just reading and taking in information.
Quick background, I've had a bazillion symptoms for a number of years now, last week was diagnosed with CFS and Fibro and my doctor thinks there is probably still something else going on.
Been mildly depressed all along, first because I started losing the ability to do things due to severe, debilitating fatigue, etc. As the fatigue got worse, my ability lessened and then my motivation eventually started to lag too, and then I got depressed. Then I started to feel guilty about the "poor me" attitude when people have real problems, but I still couldn't shake the fatigue. I'd get really down every so often, but all in all the depression was mild at most.
Since the "official" diagnosis of CFS and Fibro, I've been full-blown depressed. Can't really pinpoint why, except that I think I have to really admit to myself now that the life I has was gone, and in order to have a better quality of life I have to make adjustments that I'm just not motivated to make because of fatigue and depression.
My doctor has recommended Adderall to combat the fatigue. I can honestly say that the fatigue is currently making it impossible for me to get through the day, and if the Adderall works and can help me function somewhat normally it might be worth the risks, but I was wondering if anyone has used this medication and what your experiences have been with it?
Will it help with depression also? I've done my homework on anti-depressants and the only one that doesn't make me totally nervous is Wellbutrin.
I'd love to hear if anyone has used adderall and what the good, the bad and the ugly truths of it are.
Best to you all! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Honest opinions of meds

You really do not see Adderall to much on these boards as I do not see it helping depression. Antidepressants can be overwhelming when doing research on them. Wellbutrin is one of them that most people can handle but unfortunately seeing if it works for you is 50/50. In my opinion antidepressants should be used when nothing else works

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
(female)

PIEmotion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperate1 View Post
Hi there,
I normally post on a few different boards, but I've been lurking around here for a while now, just reading and taking in information.
Quick background, I've had a bazillion symptoms for a number of years now, last week was diagnosed with CFS and Fibro and my doctor thinks there is probably still something else going on.
Been mildly depressed all along, first because I started losing the ability to do things due to severe, debilitating fatigue, etc. As the fatigue got worse, my ability lessened and then my motivation eventually started to lag too, and then I got depressed. Then I started to feel guilty about the "poor me" attitude when people have real problems, but I still couldn't shake the fatigue. I'd get really down every so often, but all in all the depression was mild at most.
Since the "official" diagnosis of CFS and Fibro, I've been full-blown depressed. Can't really pinpoint why, except that I think I have to really admit to myself now that the life I has was gone, and in order to have a better quality of life I have to make adjustments that I'm just not motivated to make because of fatigue and depression.
My doctor has recommended Adderall to combat the fatigue. I can honestly say that the fatigue is currently making it impossible for me to get through the day, and if the Adderall works and can help me function somewhat normally it might be worth the risks, but I was wondering if anyone has used this medication and what your experiences have been with it?
Will it help with depression also? I've done my homework on anti-depressants and the only one that doesn't make me totally nervous is Wellbutrin.
I'd love to hear if anyone has used adderall and what the good, the bad and the ugly truths of it are.
Best to you all! Thanks!
re the adderall, i'd recommend giving it a try. personally, i, who have just about all your symptoms, use focalin instead of adderall. it helps get me going in the mornings. over time, however, i found that it no longer works on a daily basis. seems i have to skip a day or two to get a good result again. i keep a supply for those days when i absolutely have to get up and take care of business or keep an appointment. also, have you considered provigil? ask your doc about this one. for me it was a wonder drug in the higher range (for me it began to work at the 400-500 mg/day). but, as with most things i've tried, the effects eventually wore off; but it worked very well for about 6-8 months and even helped the depression a little. one down-side to both these drugs for me was that toward the end of the day as the drug wore off i got a bit moody and irritable with those around me. but it was not too bad and once i realized it was from the drug, and not just the depression, i worked on trying to be left alone for a while until the effects left. some people call it "hitting the wall" where you start to come down off the med. the benefits on a daily basis were worth the "wall." in fact, i have a doctor's appointment today and realize that to get there i am going to have to take my focalin. good luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
(female)

desperate1 HB User

Thank you both for your replies! I am wary of meds also, but your information will be a big help when I talk to my doctor.

Closed Thread