It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
(male)

NHBFAN HB User
Can you be depressed and not even realize it?

I lost my dad almost 2 months ago, and even though I grieve, I don't sit around overcome in sadness for the most part.

I have been going through bouts of great anxiety lately. Is this a symptom of depression?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: Can you be depressed and not even realize it?

Yes anxiety can be a symptom of depression. How were you feeling before your dad died? You are grieving and while it can feel like depression it doesn't necessarily mean you are depressed. Hope you feel better. Godbless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi NHBFAN
i agree with marian. anxiety can be a symptom of depression. most likely it is due to your grief at your dad's passing (bless him). i also agree with her that you need to think of how you felt before your dad passed (sad, depressed?) in comparison to afterwards. if you felt better before, then it means that this is all part of the grieving process. and 2 months is very little time to get over something so life-altering. go easy on yourself, NHBFAN, and know that this is really normal, though it may not seem this way. it would be abnormal for you NOT to feel like this.

you know that talking about your feelings is a good outlet, so if you want to come here and do so, you're most welcome!!!

fondly,
dakota

Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
(female)

kpoe HB User

I lost my mom a year ago and I am just now feeling depressed after a year or so of grief. It is very difficult to tease out what is grief vs. depression vs. anxiety. It's kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg? Depression and anxiety are very influential on one another. You could feel depressed and have low motivation and then get anxious because you are not getting things done. Reversed, you could have anxiety and then get depressed because you don't feel like you have conrol. Again, it's like the chicken or the egg analogy.

When you add grief into the mix, it gets really confusing. I would encourage you to focus on your level of functioning. For example, I am usually a social and outgoing person, yet I am isolating. Yes, I am entitled to hermit after experiencing a significant loss, but too much isolation over a long time will only make me more depressed in the long run because by nature, I am a social person.

Do not disregard your grief, two months is not a long time since experiencing a significant loss. But, know who you are normally and if you think that you are not functioning at the level that is consistent with how you are naturally, then worry about whether or not you are depressed. Although, I have to say that I think two months after a death is too soon to tell. It's been an up and down year for me - the anniversary just passed and I am just coming around.

But, grief is different for everybody and every sittuation is unique. Hope you find the answers that you're looking for.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
(female)

Toffee1 HB User

Hi,

I am really sorry to hear that you lost your dad. I can completely understand what you must be feeling I lost my dad six years ago (and three other people over the last few years) and am still depressed over issues surrounding his death that I havent properly dealt with.

Not everybody gets depressed it just depends on the person - it sounds to me like you are just going through the normal process of grieving some experience all and some only a few - everybody grieves differently. I remember in the first few months after I lost my dad I was numb, still in shock and denial. It didnt really hit home properly until a year later when I really started to find it hard to cope. In the first year after I was very anxious and worried about anything particularly the other important people in my life.

So I would say dont expect too much - look after yourself - cry if and when you need to, talk to somebody you feel comfortable doing so with and if you need to be quiet be so.

Keep talking here if it helps there are I am sure a lot of people who can relate and have gone through what you have gone through.

Warm wishes x x

Last edited by Toffee1; 06-06-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Closed Thread