It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

susie31 HB User
New to depression...questions

I never felt "depressed". I've had some unknown stomach problems, then over time developed an intense dizziness when I was driving. This scared me enough to go to the doctor who in turn sent me to a nuerologist. I've had just about every test done to me and they all checked out. She said I have over activity in my brain (EEG) which may be due to a chemical imbalance. I am on Klonopin (low dose) and Celexa (10mg). My dizziness has disappeared - I can't understand this.
Now - on these meds....I actually have times where I definitely feel depressed. It has only happened twice so far (over 2 months) but is scary when it does happen. Anyone experience this?
I'm not sure how depression works or why I would even be considered depressed. Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated. I DO have medical anxiety....as in if I get an upset stomach I get very anxious that something bad is going to happen. So, now that a docotor has said the words "chemical imbalance" this petrifies me.

Last edited by susie31; 06-06-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Re: New to depression...questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie31 View Post
I never felt "depressed". I've had some unknown stomach problems, then over time developed an intense dizziness when I was driving. This scared me enough to go to the doctor who in turn sent me to a nuerologist. I've had just about every test done to me and they all checked out. She said I have over activity in my brain (EEG) which may be due to a chemical imbalance. I am on Klonopin (low dose) and Celexa (10mg). My dizziness has disappeared - I can't understand this.
Now - on these meds....I actually have times where I definitely feel depressed. It has only happened twice so far (over 2 months) but is scary when it does happen. Anyone experience this?
I'm not sure how depression works or why I would even be considered depressed. Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated. I DO have medical anxiety....as in if I get an upset stomach I get very anxious that something bad is going to happen. So, now that a docotor has said the words "chemical imbalance" this petrifies me.

Susie,

Some people have panic attacks/anxiety attacks.
I'm not 100% sure how it's linked to depression, other than knowing they're caused by a chemical imbalance. (Anybody want to help with this?)

Don't let the words "chemical imbalance" scare you.
It's a manner of saying that there is a lack of chemical(s) used to maintain the proper balance that would prevent depression and/or anxiety attacks.

People need medicine for these chemical imbalances just like they take medicine for high blood pressure, diabetes, and any other ailment that is corrected by use of medication and/or other regimens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
(female)

susie31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubeez725 View Post
Susie,

Some people have panic attacks/anxiety attacks.
I'm not 100% sure how it's linked to depression, other than knowing they're caused by a chemical imbalance. (Anybody want to help with this?)

Don't let the words "chemical imbalance" scare you.
It's a manner of saying that there is a lack of chemical(s) used to maintain the proper balance that would prevent depression and/or anxiety attacks.

People need medicine for these chemical imbalances just like they take medicine for high blood pressure, diabetes, and any other ailment that is corrected by use of medication and/or other regimens.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
(female)

susie31 HB User

thnaks- chemical imbalance sounds very scary - thanks for another "view" on it

Old 06-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I was just reading your post and you mentioned twice you felt depressed. How long did it last for? My moods cycle they can go from almost normal one day to the bottom of the barrell the next. This is probaly due to the chemicals in my brain and how my meds are working. Honestly no one can give you a 100% answer on how depression works as it is not known. There are lots of theories though. I have no guesses on why the dizzyness stopped.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
(female)

susie31 HB User

Well, it always happens at night when I "slow" down from the day. So it usually lasts until I go to bed and can get myself to sleep. It is usually brought on by something else, like a headache or stomach ache or just plain worrying about something then my mind just goes into high speed worry mode.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie31 View Post
See another physician. Something is amiss. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:35 AM   #8
(female)

kpoe HB User

Chemical Imbalance sound scary b/c it infers that there is an abnormality. Our brains have neurotransmitters and some brains may produce more or less. For example, someone depressed may not be realeasing enough seretonin to feel optimal. That does not make them abnormal.

Neuropsychology is still very infantile. A lot more is yet to be learned. My hunch is that every brain is uniquely made up. There are no two brains alike, just like there are no two snowflakes alike. To say that one is chemically imbalanced and the other is chemically balanced is like saying one snowflake is pretty and the other one is not. How do you determine which one is the "model" one?

Chemically imbalance simply means that you may have more or less production and/or release of a neurotransmitter that is currently contributing to feeling less than optimal.

Also, anxiety and depression tend to be closely entwined. Someone may feel so anxious that it may prompt depression and vice versa. You may be transitioning to a better place and the depression is just a step in the process. Or, the medication may not be the right presrciption for you. Most people have to trial and error before finding the right med and dose.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

The chemical imbalance theory is becoming outdated. Docs are talking about neurogenesis now.

Closed Thread