It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

julie39180 HB User
Question pmdd/yaz/cymbalta?

anyone out there take yaz birth control for pms/pmdd? if so has it helped and how long did it take? did u also need to take any other depression meds. with it? i also take cymbalta plus wellbutrin xl... anyone take any or all of these meds together? i feel like a pill head... i havent taken the yaz yet.. but i will soon... i usually am only on cymbalta but it has effected my sex drive, so the dr. put me on wellbutrin xl toooo... any information on the meds will be greatly appreciated....

Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
(female)

susie31 HB User
Re: pmdd/yaz/cymbalta?

I don't take Yaz or Wellbutrin. I am on Junel (3 month cycles) and Celexa. As soon as I got on the Celexa - bam no more "final ending" in the sack I also have noticed hair loss and missed my last period. I'm not sure what the relation is whether it is the birth control or the anti-depressant and I am in the process of making more appointments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
(female)

justlilme HB User

Julie--I'm on Celexa 20mg right now and I asked my doctor if I should try Yaz and she advised against it. She said that the only way it works for depression is that the second active ingredient is an antidiuretic that is supposed to relieve bloating and thus relieve the depressed feeling people usually get with bloating. For some reason I'd like to get a second opinion, not that I don't believe her, but I have a feeling that she may be leaving something out. So if you ask your doctor about Yaz, please post how it goes. Thanks.

Susie--Celexa has lengthened the time I hit my "happy ending" in the sack. I also noticed that my hair has actually stopped falling out and that my periods are lighter with less cramps.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Yaz has a form of estrogen in it, which makes it a "friendly" birth control pill for someone with depression--it's the ones that are progesterone only that can increase depression. It's not the diuretic that helps with depression, it's the estrogen. They just got FDA approval for it for PMDDs.

I thought Cymbalta was supposed to be less problematic with the "finale'" than most others. Wellbutrin--tried that for the same reason, but only 150 mg. I tried it on its own and also with Zoloft. No help at all. Psychiatrist said it needed to be at 300 mg. but there were things on the PI sheet that I didn't want to experience (tachycardia) so I didn't go higher. I hear that skipping a day of Cymbalta is or can be painful...maybe like Effexor? So meds "holiday" wouldn't work, for the "finale" issue I guess.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

justlilme HB User

Thanks Msbizz for posting this! I knew my doc wasn't telling me the whole truth. For some reason she is steering me away from Yaz and pushing me towards Zoloft. I have an appt with my family doc next week. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Guess your doc isn't as curious or invested in medication as some of us here. Along in the process of all this (PPD, depression) I've read up on the medication sites themselves and some of the more generic meds sites that report more the experiences people have had on them. I think psychiatrists should have to try meds before prescribing them.

I suppose there is so-o-o-o much information and treatment these days compared to "the old days" it's just hard for anyone to keep up.

Do let us know how it goes. Btw, have you tried Zoloft before and not like it? It's my med of choice...but mainly because it was the first one that worked for me and I've stuck with it. Oh, tried Prozac...blech. GL w/the appt.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
(female)

cassie12290 HB User

im on yaz and i get very depressed, angry, bloated, and have cramps like crazy for a week before and the week during my period. and my period lasts sometimes up to 7 days.

Closed Thread