It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
(male)

qscawt86 HB User
Angry I feel so ugly....

I have had depression for many years, but things lately have spiraled out of control. I'm pretty sure I have body dysmorphic disorder. I am always obsessing about my face especially the way in which my jaw appears to be assymetric and my whole face looks terrible in my opinion. I also have acne and my teeth are kinda of yellow. I'm 21 btw. I'm having my teeth fixed in the next few weeks, but I don't know what to do about my jaw. It drives me absolutely insane and when I smile, I wanna puke (and have a few times). I constantly look in the mirror and at my reflection in windows and doors. Even at work, I constantly find excuses to get up and go look in the mirror. Some days, I'll avoid the mirror like a plague to not depress myself. I desperately want to get surgery to fix my jaw .. it's so ugly. I feel like (and often tell myself) I'm the ugliest person in the world. I'm so scared because sometimes I feel like my feelings are spiraling out of control. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited by qscawt86; 06-08-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: I feel so ugly....

Alot of people growing up have problems with their apperance. Although, since you are no longer a teen, i would sugest going to see a counceller about this. I know how hard is it to dislike you're apperance. (i have an eating disorder) The hate you have for your apperance seems out of porportion. just as deep down i know i'm not fat, but i feel it, and yes i see it too, but that doesn;t mean it's real. just because you feel like you're ugly doesn't mean other people see you that way.

i hoped this helped a bit.

Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
(male)

qscawt86 HB User

I swear everyone is beautiful EXCEPT for me.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

You could save up enough money to have the jaw fixed. But if you do, are you certain you won't find some other body part that you don't like? With some people it is the one physical thing that is the problem. With others it is something emotional that they can't deal with and they transfer that to their looks. No amount of plasitc surgery will fix it. You already understand this. I guess the decision is surgery or therapy. Hope you make the right choice for you. Godbless

Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
(male)

qscawt86 HB User

I'm fairly certain if I could get my jaw fixed, I'd be a lot happier. From what I understand, however, it's very expensive.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Jay Leno doesn't seem to let his jaw bother him? Others will really take the lead from you. If you let something about your appearance bother you others will pick up on this and do the same. If you take control of how you feel about yourself you can even deflect others trying to make a big deal out of it. (Actually, it sounds like you are the only one who notices your jaw?)

Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
(male)

qscawt86 HB User

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, nobody else has really said anythign about it.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qscawt86 View Post
I swear everyone is beautiful EXCEPT for me.
There's a saying that goes: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Your jawline is going to be magnified 100 times by YOU because you are very focused on it.
That's just the way we are, a lot of times.

You can also see a dermatologist about the acne. There are so many products on the market today; not to mention advances in prescription-strength medicines, that surely something will work for you.

If you can get your teeth fixed, work on that.
If your able to get your jaw aligned properly, find out all you can about the procedure FIRST and see if it's right for you.

Then, make your decision.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

If you think getting your jaw, etc. fixed will help, I say go for it. However, you may end up just finding something else you don't like. I thought I was a too heavy and I lost about 50 lbs. Now I'm too thin. It's like there was no in between - I went from ugly to ugly. Although I think 99.9% of the population looks better than I do, I occassionally meet somebody worse, but has amazing self esteem. I think that's the key to this whole thing. It doesn't matter how you look so long as you are happy with who you are. Self esteem looks great on everybody. (I just wish I could buy some!)

I'm willing to bet that most people don't think you're as awful as you do!

Last edited by MariaBB; 06-11-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
(female)

star7722 HB User

I think everyone doesn't like something about their looks. There are reasonable fixes to try; cosmetics, clothes, etc. Going to church helps; it'll remind you that we are only here for a short time. Remember someone else always has a problem that is worse than yours. Try to be thankful for the blessings that you have....I'm sure there are many if you think about it. I hope you feel better.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Thumbs up Re: I feel so ugly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
If you think getting your jaw, etc. fixed will help, I say go for it. However, you may end up just finding something else you don't like. I thought I was a too heavy and I lost about 50 lbs. Now I'm too thin. It's like there was no in between - I went from ugly to ugly. Although I think 99.9% of the population looks better than I do, I occassionally meet somebody worse, but has amazing self esteem. I think that's the key to this whole thing. It doesn't matter how you look so long as you are happy with who you are. Self esteem looks great on everybody. (I just wish I could buy some!)

I'm willing to bet that most people don't think you're as awful as you do!
However, you may end up just finding something else you don't like

I didn't want to say that, but it's true! I do that A LOT!
We're always finding something wrong with ourselves or something could be improved or worked on or chisled or cut or .....

when do we just learn to love our selves and the way we were made?

Self esteem looks great on everybody. (I just wish I could buy some!)
LOL, you got to stop it! I like that one!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
I think 99.9% of the population looks better than I do, I occassionally meet somebody worse, but has amazing self esteem. I think that's the key to this whole thing. It doesn't matter how you look so long as you are happy with who you are. Self esteem looks great on everybody. (I just wish I could buy some!)
Maria, you are so wonderful! It is true, you have to love/accept yourself for who you are. Running around trying to be something else is just avoiding what you really need to do. I know the folks over on the PTSD board really well and one day we described ourselves. They thought that I was a graceful southern belle (because I live outside of Louisville which I really think is the midwest). I laughed so hard. I am hardly a southern belle. I grew up a tomboy on a farm in Northern MI. I am a big-boned girl (my princess daughter calls me "medium round"). I have dry, coarse, curly hair. I love myself for who I am. I cannot be anyone else other than who I am.

Closed Thread