It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
(male)

gremlin55 HB User
Sick because depressed or depressed because sick?

Thats the question for me. About 3 months ago I all of a sudden started getting alot of fatigue, dizziness, anxiety, and loss of appetite. I saw the doctor a few weeks into it and had blood tests and and echocardiogram done which basically pointed to me being perfectly healty. The only problem was that I felt like crap. He suggested that I try an antidepressant so I tried citalopram which made me feel much worse and after a week I stopped taking it. For about the next month or so I just tried to guts it out hoping it would get better but the depression or "mood" end of it just got much worse so I saw a doctor that specializes in depression and mood disorders and he thinks I just have depression/anxiety so he started me on lexapro which I have been taking for 4 days now and I am actually thinking it is helping with my mood slightly but I still feel like crap although it seems like some days are better than others.

Can depression start to manifest itself as physical symptoms before emotional ones?

I just turned 30 and have had some stressful events occur in my life with my job, a new baby (10 mos), and am supposed to be getting married next year so maybe the stress has set this off?? I ask that because I actually feel like I should have nothing to be depressed about and that I should be at some of the most happiest years of my life.

I remember I went through a similar episode like this about 10 years ago and was on antidepressants for a short time and then just seemed to snap out of it. In between the last episode and this one I was taking a small dose of ativan daily to help with anxiety and those years were honestly the happiest years of my life. I just want to feel that way again physically and mentally.

Last edited by gremlin55; 06-08-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Sick because depressed or depressed because sick?

Depression can easily make you feel sick. You do have a lot of stressors on your body and maybe it is effecting you more than you realize. I was pretty much in the same boat as you: father died, got married, started a new career, turned thirty, had a baby. I thought I was handling everything well but my body said differently. I was constantly sick, never felt right and didn't have a clue what to do. Review each event in your immediate life from every angle and see if there is something that you are missing and handle it now. Meds are great and its going to be almost six weeks before its true effect is evident. Unfortunately all the med is going to do is push the problem to the side and disguise it. Find it now and deal with it

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Yes you can have physical symptoms. Stress can turn into depression. do you do anything to combat the stress. Exercise, have a hobby, just try to relax. You may need to take the antidepressant for a short time. I hope you snap out of this one too. Godbless

Old 06-09-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi gremlin,

well, you've just turned 30 (milestone); you've got a new baby; you're expecting to get married next year (i'm sure you know that even good things can be very stressful); and you're putting a bit of pressure on yourself (like i did/do) thinking these should be the best years of your life... of course you'll start to feel some anxiety. anxiety will often go hand-in-hand with depression, especially if you've had depression in the past (you're somewhat predisposed to it). however, since you're on lexapro now and you said you've started to feel a bit better (you know you need to give it 4-6 weeks), it's an improvement, right?. and, whenever someone takes meds, i always recommend--based on my personal experience--that's it's really good to also see someone, a counselor, or therapist--that you can talk to about these stresses. they can help you even more in overcoming your anxiety and deep sadness, and maybe coming to a quicker resolution.

much luck to you!!!! and congrats on your new baby!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
(male)

gremlin55 HB User

Thanks everyone.

Right now I just feel that if the physical symptoms would go away then the mental ones would go with them. I'm so worried about the physical symptoms and I really feel like I have something serious and that I'm dying. Sometimes I feel like I just want to check myself into the hospital but I dont think it would help anything.

My work is suffering and I'm sure it is taking a toll on my family life. My girlfriend has been great through all this but I'm sure this is putting her under alot of stress and I know she has been seeing a counselor about how to deal with this herself.

I'm just really having a tough time with this and it is by far the worst thing I have ever been through in my life. I try to do some of my hobbies to take my mind off things but the lack of energy and fatigue makes it almost impossible and the fact that I try to do things I used to enjoy and now I dont makes me even more miserable.

Well today's the 5th day on the medicine so I guess that is one day closer to it starting to work for me.

Closed Thread