It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

armywife&mum HB User
Unhappy Please any advice, i don't want my mum to have ect

hi, my mum unfortunatly has suffered with phychotic depression since i was 10 years old. She thankfully recovered 10 years later and was well for about 5 years and went on to successfully compleat a degree in psychology last year(sorry bout spelling). then unfortunatly within the last 12-18 months she has become increasingly depressed again. She had been talking about wanting to have the ect treatment for a few weeks and originally the doctor said no but now has recomended that she has it done and was addmited into hospital on thursday. Unfortunatley my dad works in the USA and can't come home but disagrees with the dicision including myself and most of the family and her friends. I have visited her once and have spoken on the phone regually but nothing i can say will make her change her mind. I feel very concerned and upset by the decision to go ahead and don't know which way to turn. I just have come on here for some advice and support. Has anyone here ever had it done or know anyone that has? what was the outcome? please reply, thanx

Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: Please any advice, i don't want my mum to have ect

Why ect..why cant she try anti-depressants first?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

armywife&mum HB User

she is on three different types of tablets. Shes tryied all types of different combinations over the years and the ones that were working 18 months ago she had to be taken off because they where causeing her other serious health issues.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

army, i feel for you but maybe since the meds arent helping her or making her sick than ect is the best treatment for her...i wish her luck & will keep her in my prayers.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have had it done. Most people associate ECT with the shock treatments of the past and it is by no means anywhere close to it. They knock you out, give you muscle relaxers and then they apply the electricity. There are enough people surrounding the table to ensure that the patient does not get hurt. The patient wakes up with a small headache and a small amount of overall body soreness. The main long term side effect is you do not remember the time around the treatments. I lost about three weeks of my memory, mind you I was an inpatient in a psych hospital so I probaly did not want to remember it anyway.

I don't know what the success ratio is. I know alot of people who swear the treatments saved their lives and others like me where it only lasted short term or not at all. If nothing else has worked then ECT is probaly where to go for a solution. I am pretty sure the greatest risk is when they put you to sleep and not the treatment itself.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
(female)

PIEmotion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife&mum View Post
hi, my mum unfortunatly has suffered with phychotic depression since i was 10 years old. She thankfully recovered 10 years later and was well for about 5 years and went on to successfully compleat a degree in psychology last year(sorry bout spelling). then unfortunatly within the last 12-18 months she has become increasingly depressed again. She had been talking about wanting to have the ect treatment for a few weeks and originally the doctor said no but now has recomended that she has it done and was addmited into hospital on thursday. Unfortunatley my dad works in the USA and can't come home but disagrees with the dicision including myself and most of the family and her friends. I have visited her once and have spoken on the phone regually but nothing i can say will make her change her mind. I feel very concerned and upset by the decision to go ahead and don't know which way to turn. I just have come on here for some advice and support. Has anyone here ever had it done or know anyone that has? what was the outcome? please reply, thanx
support your mum. ect today is not, as another poster has already written, the ect of yesterday. it's safe and , as well as i recall, statistically the most effective still for hard to treat patients. one "inconvenience" is that it is recommended for most that they continue to have a "booster" ect at certain intervals throughout their lives, but that's a small price to pay if this truly makes her feel like herself again and makes her functional. the decision was hers to make. try to be supportive, encourage the family to be supportive, and hope you have a happier, more productie mum when she comes home. she took what she decided was the best route for her. i wish her well.

Closed Thread