It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
(female)

shellshell82 HB User
feeling good on meds.... but will i ever be able to come off of them?

Hi,

Lately I have been feeling pretty good on my meds (on Zoloft & Metformin - metformin is for insulin, but insulin affects mood, so metformin can indirectly affect mood).

I don't think I have ever felt this way before in my adult life (or teen, for that matter). I feel like I can function almost like a normal person in society.

But I am wondering - is this just because of the meds? Will it just go back the way it was before, if I go off of them?

I've been trying to deal with issues with a psychologist, but always in the past when I tried to deal with issues, I would feel like I reached a stage where the issue was adequately dealt with, but then it would come back - obviously not dealt with properly. I suppose I am thinking that nothing will change if/when I come off the meds - same issues will come back again, and I won't be able to cope again.

So - is there anyone who has experience coming off of meds? Did it work? Or did you have to go back on them?

I am not thinking of coming off yet - want to see if I can deal with more issues first... but for future decisions, I would like to know if it is possible to not be on meds long-term.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 AM   #2
(female)

ggjjkk HB User
Re: feeling good on meds.... but will i ever be able to come off of them?

To answer your question, it is possible to come off meds and function. I am bi-polar, (I had childhood bipolar... I have been this way my entire life) and my parents really helped me by getting me into therapy at a young age. Unlike some, I delt with finding out I was bioplar during my childhood years instead of my young adulthood...which I think was in some ways easier. I did about 10 years of therapy from age 8 to 18, some of it productive, some of it not, and about a billion different psychotropic drugs... I was on lithium, depakote and prozac for the longest... and I too was starting to fell alot better. However after 10 years I was considerably tired of taking a cocktail of meds twice a day everyday...and began to ask myself the same question...will I ever be able to function by myself? So I went of my medication... and at first it was rocky... but it has been two and a half years now and I am living happy, no medication attached. Thats not to say that I don't deperatly have to work for my sanity. I do. But I truly beileve it's the psychotherapy that makes all the difference. Medicine can very helpful... and some people do need it for the rest of their lives, no doubt about it...but there is also good chance that you wouldn't be one of them. It's all hard work...you have to get to the point where you look at your depression in a whole other light. You have to learn to be your own best friend and confidant... your own councelor. You also need a support system that will let you know if you are spinning out of control... and be able to support you during the bad times. I am lucky to have all of those things at this point in my life. But - If the meds work... I would say take them and use the time you have to find productive ways of dealing with your emotions... if you go off your meds, the things you have worked on will follow you.

I hope this helps -
Greta

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2007 at 04:37 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

galbraith37 HB User

I was on my tablets for 4 years then i came off them and coped well in life but then i had a baby last year and hit rock bottom,depression came back worse than ever so again on the tablets,i felt ok so after being on them for 10 months i thought ok will try and come off them so i did.The first week was hell the second week i was so bad then i had to admit to myself i needed the tablets so thats me back on again.Next time i am going to make sure am 100% ready for life with out tablets

Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Check out success posts on this board like the pp. Be positive. Work hard.

Closed Thread