It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

borak HB User
Is it depression?

Hi,
My sister is married for 10 years but they do not have kids. She is always agitated, irritated, shouts and screams at people. She gets angry very frequently. She does not like anyone and always says bad things about the people around her. Does not want to talk to anyone. She does not have friends. If someone is talking about beauty, she thinks she is not beautiful and shouts at others. If we are talking about taking her to psychologist, she screams at us saying we need to consult a psychologist.

Are these all symptoms of depression? How do we convince her to take her to doctor?
Thanks.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Is it depression?

No one here is a doctor so we can not diagnois. The symptoms that you are describing could fall under all sorts of different categories. For some reason I am thinking about a personality disorder. With depression the main symptom is a sense of emptiness and despair. Where your average depressed person tends to withdrawl your sister seems to do the opposite. Like I said before I am not a doctor its just my opinion.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borak View Post
Hi,
My sister is married for 10 years but they do not have kids. She is always agitated, irritated, shouts and screams at people. She gets angry very frequently. She does not like anyone and always says bad things about the people around her. Does not want to talk to anyone. She does not have friends. If someone is talking about beauty, she thinks she is not beautiful and shouts at others. If we are talking about taking her to psychologist, she screams at us saying we need to consult a psychologist.

Are these all symptoms of depression? How do we convince her to take her to doctor?
Thanks.
Could be depression.. some symptoms fit.....She has to want help which is an obstacle. Maybe she will come around.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Over50butactive HB User

Frequent irritability, anger, and agitation are common symptoms of depression, but they are also symptoms of other disorders. Withdrawal from relationships is also a symptom of depression.

However, only a professional can properly diagnose depression or any other disorder.

As stated many times on this forum, to get help, a person has to admit to themselves there's a problem. Having dealt with family and friends in constant denial, I know it is no easy task to convince some people that a problem exists and it's time to seek assistance.

Perhaps you can convince your sister to get a general check-up from a family doctor, and go from there. It's a start.

Closed Thread