It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
(male)

son1981 HB User
Unhappy laying in bed thinking to yourself?

Hello

I was just wondering is laying in bed even if ur not sleepign during ur past time using it as an escape healthy? If you just use that time to think about urself and ur situation try and calm down the depression maybe? IVe been doing it a lot my depression has been horrible

Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: laying in bed thinking to yourself?

You need to be careful if you dwell too much on your situation it can increase anxiety and then depression. Some people do find meditation helpful as it clears their mind which is a benifit

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
(male)

son1981 HB User

im really heavily medicated on 80mgs of prozac for the past few years

Old 06-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

No...ruminating is not the answer. I believe volunteering is the perfect antidote....My personal favorite is cancer walks but any cause is a win win situation. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi poison,

i agree with trg and seymour.

it's one thing if you're trying to meditate, and empty your mind of thoughts--calming down that way. but it's very different dwelling on your depression. it really is not good, poison. and this comes from us, other depressives, obvisously.

what trg and seymour said are much better ways to get a handle on depression. being active, no matter what you do--walking, going to a park and watching people, volunteering at a animal shelter (i happen to love animals and shelters are always in need of people to help out); at a soup kitchen, or meels on wheels, (you'll be helping poor people and the elderly-- and when you see you make a difference in those people's lives, you'll feel soooo good about yourself); at a nursing home (my dad is in one, and my mom goes there everyday--but there are so many people there that have absolutely no visitors, because their families may live out of state, or simply, their families have no time than to visit once a month, and they'd give sooo much just to talk with someone, or for someone to hold their hand); or at special olympics (you can coach a basketball team, or just hug a special child/person when they cross a finish line when running for example)....

there are soooo many needs and needy people in this world, poison. and i know that all of us with depression and similar issues are open and compassionate souls....

please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing!
all my best to you!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

All of us do that at some point in time. Paralysis by analysis. Try keeping yourself busy in some way.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
(female)

minutexminute HB User

it is not a good thing to lie in bed thinking about yourself. obviously you're at a point right now where unhappiness is all-consuming. If you think about the present, you're thinking about how unhappy you are. If you think about the past, your depression leads your mind into thoughts of blame and regret, which solidifies how unhappy you feel now. If you think about the future, your depression manifests in feelings of fear and uncertainty. Try to do anything else that may either empty your mind or occupy your mind with thoughts of things other than yourself.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
(female)

sabpb7454 HB User

I agree with minutexminute. I have found the more I think about my anxiety, the more depressed I become. I have learned to stop thinking about the past, because it makes it worse. For me, thinking about the past, most specifically last summer and the one before, when I was so completley happy with life, content and never had a problem, never sad, I get even more sad. When I focus on those times of happiness, knowing that I am unhappy now, I get even more anxious because I feel like I will never have that happy feeling again. But I'm not going to sit around and wonder "what happened" anymore. It just makes the situation worse. I've also realized that forcibly ignoring the situation can also make it worse (thats the obsessiveness in me). I spend so much time and energy FORCIBLY trying to ignore something, which makes it worse no matter what. I need to learn how to let the thoughts pass, which is what you should do too.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
(male)

son1981 HB User
Question Re: laying in bed thinking to yourself?

I to feel pain when I think about dissappointments from the past like relationships that did not work out. Or times when i was so happy or in love etc..

BUt the question is if keeping ourselves busy is bbest thing to do then isnt that just forceing ourselves to ignore the past which will make it worse?

I am confused as to how do we deal with these sad or upsetting thoughts? Do you mean we need to control them with CBT ?

Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User

Poison,

I hear ya i am sort of confused at this point myself. I mean if there are things in the past that are causing significant problems today that have a hand in your depression. It would seem that avoiding them only makes that particular thing worse not better. I understand not eyeing every single little moment in great detail but there are things that do require our attention to some degree. Does that sound fair or reasonable to anyone?

Eme

Old 06-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
(female)

sabpb7454 HB User

I agree. If it bothers us- it must have some significance to our lives. Instead of trying so hard to IGNORE it, just let it be. Soon enough, it will just be a memory again. Plus, positive thinking also helps speed the recovery. However, it's never good to dwell on things constantly either. Just "let it be."

Old 06-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
(male)

son1981 HB User

thats what ive tried to do but its as if some wounds never heal or something because no matter how much time goes by u still feel the same when you remember a person or a time during ur life etcc.. if there was a way we can let it be im all ears

Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #13
(female)

sabpb7454 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison1981 View Post
thats what ive tried to do but its as if some wounds never heal or something because no matter how much time goes by u still feel the same when you remember a person or a time during ur life etcc.. if there was a way we can let it be im all ears
What I'm saying is this: obviously something or someone from your past is a significant memory in your life. Instead of letting that "thing" from the past control how you are today, just let the thought pass. Don't let it take control of you and don't let it affect how far you've come. It is NOT easy, trust me, but I am slowly learning this myself. The wounds don't have to heal- so to speak- but just remember you learned something from it. Just try- or DON'T try- to let it take over your every thought. The harder we "try" the harder it is to just let it go away.

At first, this website wasn't good for me as I was constantly obsessing over the different things that could be wrong with me. Once I got to the bottom of it, I feel like posting here is very helpful for others as well as myself- which is why I'm sure so many people post here. Therapy also helps TONS!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChaosAD HB User

One of my big problems is I will ruminate over stuff. I will let 1 thought just fester and sometimes turn into more thoughts. At first I thought the solution was to just push every thought out of my head and sort of wall off. This turned out to be worse cause then the thoughts would build up and hit me all at once full force. What I've learned is it is ok to have these thoughts and just let them pass through. It is not bad to have them but it is bad to ruminate and let them grow, such as just laying down and thinking about them all night.

So let these thoughts come to you but let them flow out just as easily. It is natural to have them. Our minds are a wondrous thing and they will go on with activity even if we think something is done. So don't worry about the stressful thoughts. In fact try and learn from then and then let them flow out.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
(female)

minutexminute HB User

I agree with Chaos & Sabpd. We can not help having these thoughts. the idea, and the really hard part, is to let them pass. I know how hard this is! I usually have this occur the moment I wake up. I've found that when I'm laying in bed thinking about my past & what went wrong, I really get into a downward spiral. It can be torturous and it affects my mood for the entire day. If you have a therapist, I think it's better to be able to release these thoughts/feelings in therapy than to lay in bed allowing them to fill our mind with sorrow and regret, because they don't get resolved that way, they just make us feel even worse. So at the time of lying in bed, I try hard to tell myself that it's not helping me & to make it stop, if at least for now. Poison, I hope you have a therapist you can talk to about your past.

Closed Thread