It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
(female)

jewelsgranny HB User
husband alcoholic and very depressed

My husband is an alcoholic with liver disease. He is currently on disability(nothing to do with alcoholism) and hasn't worked in over 5 years. Right now is very depressed and says all the time how confused he is and how worthless he feels. He is also a diabetic and that affects his ability to have sex. He thinks that he is not a man anymore. He dwells on all these things all the time. I am afraid that he will do something to himself. I don't know what to do. Of course the alcohol makes everything worse. Should I take him to the ER or will the alcohol keep them from treating him. He is seeing a psychologist but his next appointment is nto until Wednesday. I just don't know what to do. He has been in the hospital 4 times this year. Twice for detox. Any info will help.Thanks

Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User
Re: husband alcoholic and very depressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsgranny View Post
My husband is an alcoholic with liver disease. He is currently on disability(nothing to do with alcoholism) and hasn't worked in over 5 years. Right now is very depressed and says all the time how confused he is and how worthless he feels. He is also a diabetic and that affects his ability to have sex. He thinks that he is not a man anymore. He dwells on all these things all the time. I am afraid that he will do something to himself. I don't know what to do. Of course the alcohol makes everything worse. Should I take him to the ER or will the alcohol keep them from treating him. He is seeing a psychologist but his next appointment is nto until Wednesday. I just don't know what to do. He has been in the hospital 4 times this year. Twice for detox. Any info will help.Thanks
I bet you've done alot already for your husband, have you gone to Alanon for yourself? Its a very difficult situation that you live in. You can get empty from giving all the time. Only your husband can help himself. What are you doing for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Maybe you need to consider leaving, if he shows no desire to stop drinking

Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

He has to stop drinking. Plain and simple. You need to protect your own sanity.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Jewel, your husband sounds like he thinks that he is a victim who doesn't have any control over his life. He has to see how he needs to pick himself up and get moving. He is not a victim and he does have control over his life.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsgranny View Post
Jewel,

Your husband's needs are no joke.
Can you sign him into a hospital... perhaps rehab? He needs treatment for his depression, his diabetes and that liver disease, which, more than likely, was brought on by all that alcohol.

It's been said several times that you need to take care of YOU -- and you do.
So see to it that you get some therapy and some support for the things you have gone through yourself in dealing with your spouse.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
(female)

jewelsgranny HB User

Thanks for your responses. I have gone to alanon a few times and was seriously considering leaving. He got so bad I was considering having him commited. He finally went back to his therapist and is sill going. He had a very bad week and got so sick that he thought he was dying.Maybe he was, he does have liver cirrhoses.anyway, long story short he quit that weekend and has been sober for 10 days which is really something for him.
He is still depressed and will be seeing a psychiatrist on Thursday to see about some medication for that. I am not sure how this will turn out but at least this is a start.
I am also seeing the same therapist for myself.Thanks again for your concern.

Last edited by jewelsgranny; 06-26-2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added more

Closed Thread