It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User
I feel like I am losing my mind Help

Hi, I am a 58 year old named Kasey and I am going bonkers. I am anxious, depressed and I can't sleep Hows that for starters, huh? The doctor put me on Lexapro and I had a real bad reaction to it. I have some problems with meds, they really whammy me at times, like if I take benadryl it wires me up instead of making me sleepy. Anyway, she then prescribed Trazodone, 100 mg. start with 1/2 pill at bedtime and increase to 1 pill at bed. At first, it helped the sleep problem, I got super drowsy, almost dizzy about an hour after I took it and got about 4 or 5 hours or so of sleep for about 2 weeks. Now the last 3 nights having alot of trouble falling asleep, then last night I finally fell asleep about midnight and woke up at 2 am for the day. I feel so lousy and I am so tired of not sleeping. Should I up my dose? I take magnessium supplements as well as a multi vitamin around lunchtime every day. Could the magnessium cause a problem with the Trazadone? I have an old prescription of Ambien in the house. I almost took one of those last night but was too scared of the consequences. One my friends in desperation 2 nights ago took too many of her prescribed sleeping pills, cause they were not helping. She is in the hospital as she overdosed. She was not trying to kill herself, just get some sleep. I don't want to get to that point. Can eating things like ice cream or peanuts or pretzels cause you to lose sleep? I tend to snack alot in the evening. My husband thinks that is making me have trouble falling asleep. I have the jitters real bad and cold sweats. My doctor is only available once a week and it is so hard to cope sometimes. MY insurance only allows 12 visits a year anyway. Thanks to all you nice folks who took the time to read this, and could someone please send me a few words. I am ready to quit my job, which stresses me to the max. Maybe I would get some sleep before the bill collectors started driving me even crazier, huh?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
(female)

even_sly HB User
Re: I feel like I am losing my mind Help

Hi Kasey ~ I think the eating at night might have something to do with it. Possibly... Definitely anything with sugar or caffeine.

When do you take Lexapro? I don't know much about it, but I know that I take Zoloft in the morning because it wires me a bit. Would never take it at night...

Trazadone is a good med for sleeping. I took that before and it helped. And that's not working for you, huh? Weird...

The thing about Ambien is, it's not a long-term drug. Trazadone is... It's too bad that doesn't work. Maybe upping the dose would help, but when you upped it to 100 your sleeping got worse?

Sorry, I think I'm thinking out loud and writing it down here...

What's going through your mind when you can't sleep? Are you stressed? Worried about something? It could be your job... I was in a job that stressed me and lost a lot of sleep... I found something else and am doing much better now.

((((((Hugs)))))

Old 06-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I was on Trazodone for awhile but it quit working pretty quick. I have been taking Temazapam which is a sleeping med with Remeron which is an antidepressant with sleeping med qualities.

You really need to be careful what you are putting into your body before you go to bed. I have found if I eat only natural food such as fruit I sleep a lot better.

Another thing is to get some excercise at night this will help burn off the stress from the day and again help you sleep

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User

Hello again, Thanks you ever so much for answering my post so quickly. I called my docs office, she said tonight I should try taking the trazadone and ambien together. Hope it works? Anyone else out there take this combination and does it work I am as close to a panic attack as I can possibly be, I am so tired I am sick to my stomach. I also have chills going up my back and down my arms (and I'm not even watching a scary movie) I hate that creepy cold feeling on my back. I get it every time I am stressed or depressed. That and I get really sick to my stomach and can't eat or on very rare times, I overeat. Thanks to all of you who took the time to read my post and blessings to all. Kasey

Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

i can tell you one thing for sure..ambien will not work on a full stomach..

Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

emeraldeyes114 HB User

Kasey,

and welcome. I have a similar problem in the fact that often what might keep others awake such as coffee either doesn't bother me or I get sleepy. So I can drink coffee late at night and at times do with little troubles. I took Ambien once with Seraquel in a hospital setting and it felt like my eyes were closed and that was it. The pdoc took me off that mix the next day. I was so glad. I think it was the seraquel not the ambien.

I hope you get some shut eye soon. Have you tried like sleepy time tea it has the cute little sleepy bear on the box. I hope someone knows what I mean. I can't think of it right off. I have never used it but others have and say it works. I have heard that exercise before bed actually will pump you up.

Eme

Old 06-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Kasey, are you in therapy?

Closed Thread