It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

Mammato2 HB User
Looking for medication input

First I want to say thank you to those who responded to my first post. The welcome was much appreciated.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have been medicated in the past, mostly with zoloft. But my problem was that I kept hitting plateaus and needing the dosage increased. This has happened every single time I have ever been on it. Right before I got pregnant with my first child I was also put on (in addition to the zoloft) wellbutrin and effexor. I was only on those for about two months before I got pregnant and then my doctor took me off everything. When PPD hit me I was put back on zoloft and only zoloft. So that was my only experience with any other meds.

I just don't like zoloft period. My appointment isn't until next month but I know I NEED medication. Does anyone have any input on what I should ask for? I should have the right to refuse zoloft, right? I know there a bunch of new meds out there I don't necessarily want the newest one but just something that might be more effective long term. If possible I'd like to just be on one med. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Looking for medication input

Everyone body chemistry is different so it is nearly impossible to say what will work for you. I take a number of antidepressants so I guess I can start there. Effexor- Effexor is a powerhouse it is at the top in terms of potency. It does not work for everyone but when it does it works really well. Effexor users do have a difficult time coming off of the med, it tends to take a long time. Wellbutrin - Lots of people like this one as it has a low number of side effects and most people can take it. I have taken Paxil in the past and it is up there with Effexor in terms of strength but works differently. It either going to work or not work at all. Again like Effexor it is hard to come off of it. I have a real strong system in terms of handling meds and Paxil was a nightmare from day one

good luck
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

of course you can refuse zoloft..maybe one of the older ad's will work for you..do a search on them.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Effexor is a nasty drug to come off. You could be stuck on that for a very long time. You certainly can reject a doc's suggestion if you're not comfortable.

Closed Thread