It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
(male)

darkstar416 HB User
Depression & Headaches...please help!

Hi people,

This is my first time using this board. It's great to find it though!

First off, I'm a 33 year old male living in Toronto, Canada. I'm healthy, relatively fit and don't have a history of headaches at all. I do however have a history of depression. One episode around 1997 that I was able to treat by seeing a shrink. Another time in 2000 was quite serious and came with sleeping disorders, muscle twitching and being in a genuine horrible state for about 2 months before meds and a shrink could pull me out of it. Since then, it's been pretty smooth sailing though and life has been good.

About a month ago though I started noticing a mild headache, more in the front and top parts of my head (although, I swear it sometimes moves a bit). I never generally suffer from headaches, so it got my attention. I took some pain killers, but it didn't really seem to help. Nonetheless, it was pretty mild, so I didn't think too much of it, at least at first.

However, it never really went away. About five days later I started to notice I was also feeling a bit nauseous (something I also never get) and the mild headache was still there. It wasn't very painful, but still enough to be constantly on my mind and enough to be mildly distracting. The nausea continued for the next few days, but I never did "get sick" because of it.

Two weeks ago I decided to go to my doctor. He asked me the routine sets of questions and gave me a look-over, including feeling different parts of my head and body. He also took my blood pressure and said everything seemed fine. He didn't think it was a migraine (as they tend to be stronger), but thought it may be some "viral thing" in my sinus cavity that will runs its course eventually. I asked, "can I really have an infection in my sinuses when my nose isn't running?" He said, it's possible. He also sent me to the lab for some blood work just in case something else was going on.

The only medication I'm on is Nexium for my acid reflux. I've been taking it for over 3 years and it works like a charm. My doctor doesn't think it's a case of the Nexium suddenly not agreeing with me. In fact, he thinks it has nothing to do with it.

Things got quite a bit better for a week following the visit to the doctor, but then it started creeping back. So much so, that last Friday night I considered going to "emergency" as I was in so much pain. It has gotten slightly better since Friday, but I still have this constant head pain.

I went back to my doctor this past Tuesday. My blood work was perfectly healthy and the doc now thinks I have some sort of tension headache. So he prescribed some muscle relaxants. I've been on them for a few days now and they've done nothing, save making me super tired and groggy.

The doc doesn't think it's anything more serious (ie. stroke, tumour) as my symptoms aren't really consistent with those. However, I'm still really freaked out. I'd even say it's making me anxious and down feeling like this constantly. If this doesn't get better within a few days, I'll indeed pay the doctor another visit.

I'm not beyond admitting this "could" be caused by depression. However, things are -- in general -- going pretty well in my life. Moreover, my two previous struggles with depression never amounted to any headaches. Still, I can't help but wonder if maybe that is the real cause of all this.

Any and all information on your experiences and treatments with depressive headaches would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much people!

Last edited by darkstar416; 06-21-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User
Re: Depression & Headaches...please help!

Hi Darkstar!!!
I am from Toronto too.....are we neighbours?
I definitely believe your headaches could be coming from your depression. My mom suffers from depression and she has constant headaches. I came here to get some insight on her illness and forgot to leave because there are too many great people here! They can no doubt help you much better than I, but I wanted to say Welcome to the boards!!!

Carsam

Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
(male)

darkstar416 HB User

Thanks Carsam! Whereabouts in the T-dot are you?

I'm glad to hear it may be depression as that is something I can deal with (as I've been through it before). I'm sort of going through a chicken and egg thing right now with it though. I keep asking myself, did anxiety create this constant headache or is this constant headache causing the anxiety? It's a hard call really. I also don't want to discount completely that something medical may be going on as well.

Do you know any more details about the type(s) of headaches your mom gets?

Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Hi, I am new to this board and have just posted on another thread about noises in my head which gives me a headache. I thought it was tinnutis or something but doc thinks it may be depression. I'm not convinced even though I know I am depressed. These noises are like electrical-maybe it does all sorts of strange things to your head!!

Rosie

Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
(female)

Trackerk HB User

Hi DarkStar...well I'm on the other side of Canada, live just outside of Vancouver.
I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the depression band wagon if you don't have to. It may not be depression at all, have you had your eyes tested lately?
Have you done the Becks Inventory test of late to see where you stand on the depression scale? You mentioned that things are going pretty well....there is a difference between stress and depression, you may be under stress, or it could be dietary. If you are still getting regular headaches I would continue to see out answers from your Doc until you rule out all the possibilities!
Cheers,
Tracker

Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hi Darkstar.....let's put it this way I am not far from the "ZOO".....

TrackerK....I just came from vacationing in your "neighbourhood".....I just love it out there!!!!!

Carsam

Old 06-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
(female)

Trackerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsam View Post
TrackerK....I just came from vacationing in your "neighbourhood".....I just love it out there!!!!!

Carsam
Hey Carsam....yeah not a bad place at all....although it would be really nice to know when summer is going to happen....WOW have we had our share of rain this year!!
Now that's depressing
Cheers,
Tracker

Closed Thread