It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

iloveanderson HB User
Unhappy confused

Hello everyone. I've been struggling with depression for the past few years, with a lovely mix of anxiety, OCD, and anorexia. i finally was able to ask for help 6 weeks ago, and the doctor put me on a daily dose of 20 mg of fluoxetine.

the first 3 or 4 days i felt great, but then things started to go downhill. i had a decreased appetite (which, with my past, it is a constant struggle to eat otherwise i slip back into old habits), a lot of nausea, inability to sleep through the night, increased anxiety, and just a general consistent crappy feeling. plus, i get motion sickness very easily, so the nausea was intensified by 100 whenever i got in the car.

i called the doctor and they told me to go down to 10 mg for a few days to see if i stopped feeling so sick, but now instead of feeling nauseous i just feel depressed again. for the past few days i've just been lying in my bed, in a dark room, numb to everything around me. i am making an appointment to go back and switch meds, but i was wondering what you guys would recommend? which AD has had the least side effects for you?

thanks for your help

Old 06-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User
Re: confused

I am pretty sure everyone is gonna say pretty much teh same thing to you. Which meds works for you is really depends on your body, we are all different, so an AD might work perfect for you, but might do nothing for me.

It could take up to 6 weeks for the Fluoxetine (Prozac) to start have an effect, I have been on it for a month, and I am still getting a lot of fairly bad side effects, my doc and a Pdoc is fully aware of it, but they both told me to give it more time, so considering you have only been on it for not long, you really should give it more time. But I am not a doctor, so do whatever your doctor tells you.

By the way, so how long have you been on it in total then? Sorry I am a bit confused...
Anyway, I know it's annoying, but I think you really need to give it some time, like a lot of us have to do here...

Last edited by ExTra111; 06-22-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

If I have read your post right you have been on the med for six weeks. Normally the side effects have dropped off a bit by then. The part that gets me confused is there is tons of side effects at 20mg but no depression then at 10mg no side effects but the depression is back?

Like the previous poster said everyones body chemistry is different so it is near impossible to say which one might work for you. Top of my head I would say Wellbutrin the majority of people can tolerate it.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
(female)

iloveanderson HB User

yes, sorry if i wasn't clear. i've been on the med for about six weeks now. and yes, it is either no depression and horrible side effects or depression and no side effects (other than those related to the depression).

i was just wondering if anyone else had been so sensitive to the prozac and what was working for them now.

Closed Thread