It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

mycatwillow HB User
Exercise

Hi everyone,

How many people here exercise? I've always been a hard core exerciser. Before my "crash" I used to go to the gym 3 - 4 times a week. For the last month & a half the only exercise I've gotten has been walking. On Thursday I went back to the gym for the first time and all I could manage was 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer and 15 minutes of stretching/yoga poses and I hated every minute of it.

I was planning on going again today, but I am dreading it. I used to love the gym but I just don't want to go. I know that being depressed makes you lose interest in the things that used to give you pleasure. Exercise used to give me pleasure, but overall I was still depressed, and my frustration with that was just one of the many things that contributed to my crash. Because of that I just don't see the point.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User
Re: Exercise

Hi,

Actually exercise will HELP with depression. It will release chemicals in the brain that are needed to fight depression. It's just a good thing to do, even if you dread it. I do the treadmill and elliptical trainer at home. Not always enough, but some everyday. It helps me a lot....

Sid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

Trackerk HB User

Hi Mycat,
I was/am an avid runner, golfer and fanatical exerciser. Prior to my big crash I found myself not running as much,not working at much not golfing as much, and also not enjoying the activities when I did do them. I know that I was also using running/workingout to extremes, I took a healthy endeavour and turned it into an unhealthy obsession. I ended up stopping running/working out completely, would still muster a bit of energy to play the occasional round of golf or go to the driving range.
I ended up in the ER almost two weeks ago because of a severe depression episode. I am now on Wellbutrin XL and am seeing a psychiatrist. She is encouraging me to get out and exercise, but also reinforcing the fact that I will not be able to do the amount I did do, nor should I...that was unhealthy too. So I am starting to run, just came back from a short one. I am focusing on using running and working out as additional therapies to control my depression. Exercise does release endorphines which give you that "runners high" "feel good" feeling.
It's such a complicated balancing act, cuz I can turn just about anything into an obsession. I quit drinking in January as that was becoming a problem for me too.
But enuf about me....
I would really encourage you do exercise a little bit, build up gradually, know that it is great therapy for you, and don't try to compare your ability now to your ability before.
The body is very resiliant, and you will make great strides if you just take it easy....the key word is consistency, so make a plan and stick with it, even if it is only for 1 week.
You will be amazed at what you can accomplish!!
Good luck and happy exercising!!
Tracker

Last edited by Trackerk; 06-23-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
(male)

Breezes HB User

Exercise is great for depression. I do aerobic exercise every day for about 30 minutes. I've found that it has to be intense for maximum benefits, and it really needs to be done every day. Studies on exercise and depression are impressive. There is a long list of ways that it is thought to work.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Exercise helps my depression. There are times I get so low that I don't want to do anything. If I drag myself to the gym I always feel better. Just getting out of the house is helpful, but getting the blood flowing and adrenalin pumping lightens my mood. If I'm feeling too tired for the gym I still go, but do weights instead of cardio. I always leave the gym feeling better than when I walked in. My only regret is that my gym isn't open 24 hours. Sometimes the depression creeps up at odd hours and I really want to exercise but the gym is closed.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

I ended up not exercising yesterday. I was in a major funk , and I'm still not great today, but I'm going to force myself to go.

I think I was discouraged because I had a couple of pretty good days last week, and then yesterday I woke up feeling like it was the end of the world and I was so discouraged. I didn't leave my apartment all day. I have to get out of here for at least a bit today so I'm going to go if I have to crawl there.

Maria, do you have any exercise equipment at home? Maybe you could buy a jump rope or something?

Closed Thread