It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User
Antidepressants make me crave alcohol

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a medication or supplement that helps take away the desire. When I go off my meds I don't drink much at all but then I get depressed, it's a catch 22.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: Antidepressants make me crave alcohol

When i took celexa i thought alot about drinking. I went off of it and have no cravings. It is weird. Godbless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

lucky, could it possibly be that you want to drink when you are depressed?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User

Hi Jules, no when I'm depressed I don't want to drink or do anything for that matter, except maybe sleep. I drink more and more quickly on the antidepressants, it's like the alcohol "off" switch went away and there is nothing in my brain saying, "OK, time to stop". It's like I'm only an alcoholic on the meds and never off of them. I must say I'm a very happy drunk and the life of the party, LOL! But I do worry about my health. I never drink and drive or do anything foolish or dangerous but still. Also, when I'm on antidepressants I never have hangovers, I feel great the next day, no headache, nothing. It's perplexing.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
(female)

even_sly HB User

Could it be the fact that ADs cause dry mouth? And that alcohol might quench your thirst? I know that I have a serious dry mouth, but don't crave alcohol, though.

But you know when it's hot out and an ice cold beer sounds good? That's what I'm thinking?

That's also wild that you don't get hangovers...

Old 06-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User

Hmm, I do have a dry mouth but I thought it was because I drink too much, LOL! I wonder if there are any supplements to help with dry mouth? That might be part of it but I think there is something neurological going on too, especially because I have no hangovers. I feel better in the morning if I drank the night before than if I didn't. I am in perimenopause and alcohol raises estrogen levels so I might be getting an estrogen fix too.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
(male)

soundguy85 HB User

This has definitely happened to me since I started Zoloft 5 months ago. I used to drink only occasionally and in small quantities, but now I usually drink alot at least 4 nights a week.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

beebee23 HB User

yes this is happening to me.
i started craving alcohol a few weeks after being prescribed prozac for the prevention of post partum depression (i was having lots of depression while pregnant). i have been on it almost a year now and since i have a baby instead of drinking i am using pot and xanex to self medicate. i stopped taking it a few weeks ago and already the cravings are subsiding and i am having less anxiety.
i took prozac 10 years ago in high school from age 15 -19 i was a pretty hardcore "experimental" drug user at that time so now im convinced there is some correlation.

i am done with anti depressants, i would rather deal with my low grade depression thank you!

Closed Thread