It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User
Manic on Citalopram

I'm on Citalopram and I get intense highs (manic almost) at around 11am to 12 pm everyday, but then I get down again for the rest of the day. I take one tablet a day at breakfast time(6:30am). Has anyone else had experiences like this?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: Manic on Citalopram

I get the same thing. How many mg are you on per day? I am on 60mg and i can say i have been alot better since the dose was rasied? Which seems strange, but apparently anti-depressants can sometimes help mania. Maybe see your doctor to get a better opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Mania is a side effect of antidepressants. It makes sense that some people perhaps have enough serotonin despite a depression diagnosis because of lack of real testing to see how much serotonin one has. So giving a person with plenty of serotonin already an antidepressant might just cause an overload of serotonin, leading to euphoria or mania type symptoms, yes?

This is, IMHO, simple logic yet when most people complain of mania with their AD, the psychiatrist will assume a latent bi-polar condition rather than blame the AD. They have no real biological science to test you on that, rather they go with the assumption that alot of depressed patients do not experience mania while on ADs....but so what, what does that prove? I mean, alot of people don't experience death when being stung by a bee or eating a peanut....we are all different in our reactions to what comes into our bodies.

Perhaps some people simply shouldn't be on antidepressants or eating peanuts....

Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

Hmm well that is interesting. that could well be true, i'm not sure about Therag case, but i was certainly manic before i took citalopram. I started at 20mg of the drug, and still felt mania. the more the drug was raised, the LESS my mania occured. I don''t think it can be said ad's cause manic symptoms, as yes, in some, but what about people in my case, who have less mania due to ad's?

Last edited by xxxzoexxx; 06-27-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

luckygem13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
Perhaps some people simply shouldn't be on antidepressants or eating peanuts....
You're funny, LOL!

I know I have increased anxiety with all antidepressants and I have heard that anxiety can be a form of mania. I think this is why I drink too much alcohol when I'm on antidepressants. I'm trying to come down in the evenings with the alcohol, a depressant, Makes sense. But I'd rather be drunk and happy than sober and depressed, no doubt about it. I am seriously miserable without the antidepressants.

I am looking into some natural supplements to use. St John's Wort did absolutely nothing for me. I'm hearing a lot about Chromium and Omega 3's. I will definitely try them. Heck I'll try anything once

Take Care,

Luckygem

Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therag View Post
I'm on Citalopram and I get intense highs (manic almost) at around 11am to 12 pm everyday, but then I get down again for the rest of the day. I take one tablet a day at breakfast time(6:30am). Has anyone else had experiences like this?
Well.....ad's do cause mood swings. Personally, I would call the physician. If this is the beginning of bipolar or rapid cycling...better to nip it in the bud.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

My son was on this and the first 2 weeks he was the happiest he had been in years. Then he crashed and came back to some normalcy. He was on 40mgs. Godbless

Old 06-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxzoexxx View Post
Hmm well that is interesting. that could well be true, i'm not sure about Therag case, but i was certainly manic before i took citalopram. I started at 20mg of the drug, and still felt mania. the more the drug was raised, the LESS my mania occured. I don''t think it can be said ad's cause manic symptoms, as yes, in some, but what about people in my case, who have less mania due to ad's?
Wow, well you are unusual; most likely you have a paradoxal reaction (we all can react differently to drugs just like peanuts ). You are among a very few since from what I've read, even most doctors won't put bi-polars on an antidepressant for fear of mania or at least do not recommend them.

Paradoxal reactions can occur with alot of drugs. Also, some people's metabolism of a drug is different, and since melantonin (inhibitory, mellow neuro)is a by-product of serotonin(excitatory, you might be quickly metabolizing yourself into excess melantonin.....which is ok, except too much of that could be depression-inducing. What fun, eh?

That's just it, nothing is certain with these meds. We can't get too much serotonin or too little, so taking drugs that effect it is really kinda a gamble/crap shoot since they haven't come up with any tests for serotonin that are accurate(nor measures either) in the brain. Too much serotonin is actually bad, creating many symptoms and even a fatal form of serotonin syndrome in some cases; it is believed that is what Anna Nicole's son died from.

Interestingly, serotonin itself is actually made from high protein foods via amino acid digestion anyhoo ,so diet really does effect not only our bodies but our brains. And when people indulge frequently in chemicals that effect the brain chemistry(legal drugs, illegal drugs, alcohol, toxic food additives, cigarettes, etc.) that can also effect our balance of serotonin and other important neurotransmitters, all of which actually come from(created) our food sources and nutrients. Exercise also seems to effect the balance on the positive side.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygem13 View Post
You're funny, LOL!

I know I have increased anxiety with all antidepressants and I have heard that anxiety can be a form of mania. I think this is why I drink too much alcohol when I'm on antidepressants. I'm trying to come down in the evenings with the alcohol, a depressant, Makes sense. But I'd rather be drunk and happy than sober and depressed, no doubt about it. I am seriously miserable without the antidepressants.

I am looking into some natural supplements to use. St John's Wort did absolutely nothing for me. I'm hearing a lot about Chromium and Omega 3's. I will definitely try them. Heck I'll try anything once

Take Care,

Luckygem
Ah thankyou on the funny note. I try. Anyhoo, I've heard many people, even ones who did not drink previously, using alcohol as a way to relax because of overstimulation from AD's so you are not alone.

Hey, try the Omegas' I've heard they really help.....but as with all natural cures, it can take months to make a difference. That's why pharmaceuticals are so popular, they are basically pretty quick. But they have so many problems and down the line can cause tragedy...a woman my husband knows from work associations just died because of antidepressant-caused diabetes(no history and didn't have intil she'd been on for some years).

It was really sad because it was either she let them amputate both legs in hope of saving her, or just die. She choose the latter. And she was only 57 years old.

So most important is that AD's should be only for severe situations. Unfortuantely, they are given by doctors very often without consideration to future health concerns in people who could possibly do without them.

I also cannot stress enough how regular exercise can lift the spirit. My fav is weight resistance but yoga is also very invigorating and relaxing too.

Besides Omegas', give dark chocolate a try. Only a little a day of 65% or more cocoa based. Seems cocoa effects serotonin and is a bit of a natural antidepressant.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
(female)

mizplaced HB User

had same thing happen till iI started taking it at night.that efeect wore off while I slept so I felt good in the morning. Maybe this might help you. Good luck ......Miz

Old 06-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
(female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
So most important is that AD's should be only for severe situations. Unfortuantely, they are given by doctors very often without consideration to future health concerns in people who could possibly do without them.

I also cannot stress enough how regular exercise can lift the spirit. My fav is weight resistance but yoga is also very invigorating and relaxing too.

Besides Omegas', give dark chocolate a try. Only a little a day of 65% or more cocoa based. Seems cocoa effects serotonin and is a bit of a natural antidepressant.
I have been reading this thread over the course of the last week because I have had to make a decision about anti depressants. I have been troubled lately by noises in my head-probably tinnitus-and the dr sent me off for a ENT appt which isn't for another 2 months. The noises were becoming more troublesome and stopping my sleep so I went back to ask if they could try to hurry it along, and I was told that actually it was all being caused by depression. Now, I would not argue that I am a fairly depressed person alot of the time, and at the moment my life is very stressful and it has all got on top of me abit-marriage break up, 3 kids to look after, dental problems, working every day,no time to myself, chasing my tail etc etc. and so I would say I am particularly run down at the moment, when he did the depression questionnaire I came out as seriously depressed. So he prescribed some Citalopram. Now I have never taken any anti depressants(just pulled myself out of whichever hole I was in at the time) so I read this forum and typed in Citalopram and was horrified what I read. The picture comes over as that it takes at least 2 weeks to get over the initial side effects which sound awful , sickness, exhaustion etc-it takes about 6-8 weeks before you even notice a change, then you have to up the dose to get the right effect, then after a while they stop working and you have to try something else and then when you want to stop you can't or else you have to suffer awful withdrawal symptoms.!! Now I may have simplified that abit, but that seems to be the picture. So why do it? I have decided that I don't care if I am depressed or not, noises in my head or not-i am not going to put myself through it and once you take one then you are on a one way road. I think I will find other ways to get better-natural ways like diet, exercise and therapy. Surely it just isn't worth it? I know alot of you on here may be in real need of medication but doctors just dish them out for anyone it seems(a friend of mine was also given some for no reason) just like that-if I hadn't sat down and looked at all these threads and seen what they do then I might just have started them and I am sure they would do more harm than good. Any views on this?

Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

When I was on 20mg, I didn't feel anything, no better nore worse, it kind od stopped my shaking tho... but it could any ohter reason... so the dose was increased to 40mg, and that was when the real game began... I just felt absoultely sick and not able to sleep, shaking all the time, scared of people, you name it, I had it... btu all these could just be the depression itself tho... so my doc had to take me off Citalopram quick coz of the side effects, and now I am on Prozac, it's doing the same, but for some reason both my doc and a Pdoc I have seen once think it's normal and so I should stay on it... My friend told me all ADs are pretty much the same in terms of how they work, they are suppose to mess up your system before they heal you... I dunno and I guess I dont really wanna know...

Old 06-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Hey Rosie I'm glad you did your homework first before deciding whether or not the hassles were worth taking the AD. I'm almost positive that depression has become the catch-all diagnosis when things cannot be explained otherwise. If they can't find it on a test, they just assume "depression" is the answer.... and that works out, since most people today (unless you have a perfect life) will most likely answer yes to alot of the depression questions!

I remember that quote from the Princess Bride movie...life is pain, and if anyone tells you otherwise they are trying to sell something. Boy is that true.

On the tinnitus note, my very un-depressed brother-in-law(actually he's a 12 year old living in a 49 year old's body) has tinnitus too! But I never asked why or if they found out why he has it.

Eh, I've never done a search on the subject either so maybe even that would be a good idea for you too. He did say that there was a time when it was worse; now it seems to come and go. I know he's not on any meds for it so maybe it's just one of those weird things in life? Anyway, good luck with that and sorry about the other problems.

Is there anything you could do to get some time for yourself? Especially workout time? I remember when my kids were little I'd lift dumbbells in the garage and in between sets I could check on them. If they wanted something I'd say after this set, etc. I was very lucky, though, I got to be at home mom but they still took up my time 24/7....sometimes I thought it would be nice to have a job just to get away and sit awhile! But at the same time, I loved them so that helped!

Anyway, I can't imagine my life without some workout time. Since turning 50 this year, I'm considering spending more time at the gym than I do because it really does make a huge difference in how I feel....especially weight resistance, at least for me because cardio is sooooooo incredibly monotonous and overtiring to me, so I don't do as much of that. And it's pretty cool to be able to lift normal things in life without so much huffing and puffing.

Last edited by Jennita; 06-30-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTra111 View Post
When I was on 20mg, I didn't feel anything, no better nore worse, it kind od stopped my shaking tho... but it could any ohter reason... so the dose was increased to 40mg, and that was when the real game began... I just felt absoultely sick and not able to sleep, shaking all the time, scared of people, you name it, I had it... btu all these could just be the depression itself tho... so my doc had to take me off Citalopram quick coz of the side effects, and now I am on Prozac, it's doing the same, but for some reason both my doc and a Pdoc I have seen once think it's normal and so I should stay on it... My friend told me all ADs are pretty much the same in terms of how they work, they are suppose to mess up your system before they heal you... I dunno and I guess I dont really wanna know...
The problem is they don't heal anything. Most psychoactive drugs simply take over control aka subdue the brain. But then the brain tries to fight for homeostasis and eventually that is what brings on tolerance aka drug poop out.

What's worse than the poop out is that the brain has downregulated targeted receptors and upregulated opposing ones, so simply quitting the drug or switching sometimes does cause new symptoms or withdrawal type symptoms.

Downregulation is known in science; a few years back they confirmed some of it with rat studies and AD's. The serotonin receptors were damaged by the AD's with large doses, which confirms brain damaging potentials of SSRi's over time and or large doses.

Downregulation is referred to as desensitization of receptors and in some cases cell death. But luckily, the brain can create new receptors when drug is discontinued and it also has many networks of serotonin receptors, not just a few.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
(female)

berrence HB User

Sorry, but I am 28, been depressed for the first half of my life, and bi-polar, ocd and add for the extent of it. If you are truly bi-polar then you know that the only thing that keeps you from not neglecting yourself to the point of death in a manic phase and killing yourself in a depressive one is meds, the right doc, and a willing attitude. Maybe these drugs are over-prescribed, or maybe, with all of today's added stress, there is just more mental illness to go around. None of us are to judge; not unless there's an m.d. hanging on our wall. Do what you need to do to get by-just make sure you do get by, and good luck to everyone dealing with this, in their own way.

Closed Thread