It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User
Question Anti-depressants + birth control pills

I take Lexapro (10mg). I've been taking it for about 10 months. I've been doing much better for the past few months, but I haven't had good luck trying to wean off it or with taking a lower dose. I want to start taking birth control pills, but I don't want anything to get in the way of my progress - I worry about birth control lowering the effectiveness of my AD. I've heard that the pill can even make people depressed. Will I be ok taking them both? I'm interested in the low-dose pills, like Loestrin. Does anyone take both birth control and an AD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Re: Anti-depressants + birth control pills

I have been on birth control since January. I was just put on Cymbalta 2 weeks ago. I didn't realize that I was depressed, but now I realize that I am, and the AD is helping. I am taking the NuvaRing, which is supposed to be one of the lowest doses of BC. I am trying to get it switched though, as it is expensive, and I am going to get the AD switched as well.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I have taken BC pills and antidepressants together, and yes, the BC can cause depression. This is because BC pills deplete B vitamins. Just take a B complex vitamin along with them and you should be fine.

Last edited by kittywitty; 07-14-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

I take BC pills and 3 different antidepressants. In my case the BC helps because my PMS mood swings are really bad. In my mid 20's I took a year off from the birth control pills and each month I got worse and worse until I finally went back on. I'm 39 now and I'm worried that someday my GP is going to tell me I shouldn't be on them anymore.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I took antidepressants and birth control pills together for years. In my case, being on the antidepressant helped with pill-induced depression. It was after I stopped antidepressants that I started experiencing horrendous depression again that was all caused by the pill (stopping the pill caused the depression to go away after about 2 cycles off the pill). Now, I was never completely depression-free on both antidepressants and the pill but I don't know if this was due to being on the pill or just the nature of how the antidepressants worked for me. Emotionally, much of that time I was numb--no lows but no highs either. I didn't get excited about or care about anything much.

If you notice the pill is affecting you negatively, you can stop taking it.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I think that my BC ring is affecting me, but I have to be on birth control, as that is my only option before a hysterectomy right now. I don't know what to do. Going to the GYN tomorrow to see.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Also, I know that risks with the pill are blood clots, stroke, and heart attack. These risks increase with age - I'm not over 35, but I'll be 26 soon. I used to take Estrostep several years ago, and if I remember correctly, my info packet had a chart which showed that health risks are quite a bit higher at my age than they are in a 20-year-old (that's how old I was when I first took the pill). I don't smoke, I'm not overweight, and I don't have a history of blood clots, strokes, or heart attack. However, I remember soon after I went on the pill, I had chest heaviness on and off for about a month. I never found out what caused it, though I have mitral valve prolapse, and occasionally have PCV's (irregular heartbeats). I thought it could've been associated with that, though I recently read about a woman who had the same thing happen to her when she started on the pill; she thought it could've been a blood clot. I stayed on the pill for 8 months (eventually I quit it because it was causing vaginal dryness that made sex and even going to the bathroom really uncomfortable). I never had mood changes while on Estrostep, but I made the mistake of going off it in the middle of a pack. My moods went completely crazy. I walked out on my job because I was too unstable to handle it. I cried constantly and thought about suicide for no reason. My moods eventually settled down, but this experience I think is linked to my depression. My cycles got really irregular and I think my seratonin levels have been out of whack since then, too. Lexapro has helped to re-balance things - my menstrual cycles are almost completely normal and my moods are more balanced as well. I do not want anything to affect this progress.

Yes, I can go off the pill if I notice changes, but going off it was the worst part for me (though it prolly wouldn't have been so bad had I waited until the end of my pack!). My boyfriend is quite a bit older than me (in his mid-50's), and has some erectile problems, so I wonder if he can even father a child. I'm 26, and I know that women's fertility goes down dramatically at age 27. So, I'm not even sure a second form of birth control is warranted, but with my luck, I would get pregnant. Mycatwillow - I also have pretty bad PMS moodswings, so maybe the pill would help with this. PMS time is really the only time I have moodswings anymore, so it may be worth it to give it a try.

Last edited by sunshine0806; 07-15-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Closed Thread