It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

musicofthenight HB User
Wierd Attractions?

Hi, I'm new here and have recenly been diagnosed with moderate/severe depression. I have been prescribed Prozac which I have taken for 3 weeks now, with very little effect. What I'm now finding that any guy who is nice to
me, or who shows a little bit of compassion I am becoming attracted to. My GP, former surgeon, guys I have met only once. I am married, but my hubby is unsupportive in the sense that he can't deal with my suicidal thoughts and crying. Is my attraction normal or a side effect of the meds, or a need to have someone suportive in my life? I need to get a gri[p as I am fantasising over movoing in and starting a life with guys who I hardly know.

T x

Old 07-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
(female)

mycatwillow HB User
Re: Wierd Attractions?

Hi and welcome to the board.

You've only been on prozac for three weeks? You need to give it more time to work. You're doctor may even increase it if you are on a low dose.

This is just my opinion, but if you are attracted to men who are nice to you, maybe it's because you're husband is not being supportive and you fantasize about being with someone who is. Please don't make any major decisions if you are in the midst of a major depressive episode, because you probably are not thinking clearly.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

alliepie HB User

Welcome! I have been put on Prozac twice now.. both times it takes about a month and a half to kick in. Also.. I always need the dosage to be increased. But everyone is different. I think that you need to communicate with your husband. If you are fantasizing about other guy's something is not right with your relationship with your current guy. I hope this helps.

Stay safe,
Allie

Old 07-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Some fantasy is natural and even healthy. However, what you describe could be a side effect of the ad.....If you notice any other unusual changes, please talk with your physician. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

I get the exact same thing. I think it may be due to the need for more love and compassion. I am only 19 and not married, needless to say i find it difficult to be in relationships, because i always end up needing more love than one man could ever give me. It makes me feel selfish, but i don't think it is selfishness. When one is depressed it's normal to sometimes feel the need to have a person compleatly understanding what you're going through, and maybe you're constanly seeking that understanding, that you feel your husband isn't giving. I guess i don't have a great deal of advice on this matter, however, just to let you know i'm going through the same thing as you are.

Take care.

Zoe.

Last edited by xxxzoexxx; 07-19-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
(female)

always smiling HB User

When I was first put on Prozac at 18 I ended up cheating on the man I was going to marry. I was attracted to a few other guys during the course of our relationship. I do blame part of it on the Prozac. The other part immaturity.
However, later in life I was put on Prozac again at the age of 30 and had a great relationship, never once thinking of another man. I do remember pointing this out to the boyfriend at the time of my going on Prozac that I was afraid I would become attracted to others and flirtatios like I did when I was younger.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicofthenight View Post
Hi, I'm new here and have recenly been diagnosed with moderate/severe depression. I have been prescribed Prozac which I have taken for 3 weeks now, with very little effect. What I'm now finding that any guy who is nice to
me, or who shows a little bit of compassion I am becoming attracted to. My GP, former surgeon, guys I have met only once. I am married, but my hubby is unsupportive in the sense that he can't deal with my suicidal thoughts and crying. Is my attraction normal or a side effect of the meds, or a need to have someone suportive in my life? I need to get a gri[p as I am fantasising over movoing in and starting a life with guys who I hardly know.

T x
If this change coincided with starting prozac, check in with your doc. The drug could make you hypomanic and influence your behavior.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Music, I've got the same problem! I found out the hard way that just because somebody is nice to me it doesn't mean they like me. I've made a colossal fool out of myself on occassion after believing my crazy thoughts, that turned out to be untrue.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
I need to get a gri[p as I am fantasising over movoing in and starting a life with guys who I hardly know.

T x
are these guys willing? or is this just all in your own head....sorta like wishing/wondering what it would be like?
If your husband is un-supportive you should talk to him about your needs and how he's not fulfilling them and THEN if he still is not willing to make an effort, you can explore your options of a future without him......

Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
(female)

musicofthenight HB User

Thanks for your thoughts. Well since my post I have seen a guy several times and he is absolutley amazing in every way I could wish for. He too has suffered with depression but is the most supportive and empathic person who I have ever met. He wants us to have a life together. I have fallen for him big time. I'm just confused as to whether my insense reactions and feelings are a side effect of the prozac or because my husband does not offer me the warmth and support which I crave. Any ideas?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Without seeing you and your husband interact I cannot say for sure. However, I've had the same problem as you (being attracted to any guy who's nice) and I can say that I'm married to a rock. My husband stares at the TV whenever he's home. He gets frustrated when I'm depressed and is easily distracted when I need to talk to him. Is he a bad guy? No, he's just not a communicator. He has a stable job, is responsible with bills, cooks and cleans around the house, and I don't think he'd ever cheat on me. Although there are times I need attention and support that he cannot give I would not trade him in for anybody.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. Well since my post I have seen a guy several times and he is absolutley amazing in every way I could wish for. He too has suffered with depression but is the most supportive and empathic person who I have ever met. He wants us to have a life together. I have fallen for him big time. I'm just confused as to whether my insense reactions and feelings are a side effect of the prozac or because my husband does not offer me the warmth and support which I crave. Any ideas?
sounds to me like he's not meeting your needs......I wouldn't blame the prozac

Old 07-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #13
(female)

musicofthenight HB User

Well following on from your comments i visited my GP yesterday who is expremely concerned about me and thinks I have hypomania - hence my strong sexual urges, change on clothing ie lower cut tops n shorter skirts, wreckless driving, sleeping 3 -4 hours per night etc. I'm really confused and feel as though I don't know who I am anymore. I have been told to stop all medication immedatley!
When I'm with the new guy I feel fantastic and protected. I thought my new found zest for life and increased confidence was because I have fallen in love. I'm giggling like a 15 year old schoolgirl and we are texting and ringing each other constantly. Last year I weight 10 st more than I do now and my physical appearance has changed beyond recognition. My husband doesn't want or need my physically and personally I think I repulse him. My new guy worships the ground I walk on and constantly tells me how fantastic I am. My GP thinks I've been promiscuous, but I thought that I was just trying to be sexy and attractive - after 20 years of being morbidly obese I am starting to feel great about myself but now I don't know who or what I am. HELP!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Make sure to think everything through before you throw away your marriage. Talking to my husband is like talking to a rock. There is no emotional support or feedback. However, he's a really good guy. He doesn't cheat, drink, beat me, etc. He goes to work everyday, helps around the house, etc. It could be a lot worse for me. I enjoy seeing a therapist because he listens to me. He is my support. Sometimes I don't feel depressed or anxious but I keep my therapy appointments just so I can talk to someone. (OK, I'm a bit of a loser )

Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
(female)

lostinwonder HB User

Oh lord, when I read your post I wanted to start crying. I'm sorry for your situation and the reason it hits me so hard is that I've been going through this for almost a year. I'm back on this board after a few weeks because my husband and I had a huge argument yesterday and I said that I think maybe we should be separated. It's such a long story that I can't really get into it. As the previous poster mentioned, my hubby is a rock emotionally too. But for ME, I can't do this. I am VERY emotional. I too lost weight about a year ago - only around 10 lbs, but something inside me changed with that. Feeling attractive again while also dealing with depression, growing middle age (I'm 38), and also being so lonely has caused me to obsess on someone who I don't really even know (very embarassing but I can't seem to stop it). I don't fantacize about sex, just about being intimate on a "higher level" something I'm really needing these days. It's a very good thing you are seeing a doc about this. I have yet to go in. My hubby does not support me when I mention depression. He actually said "good, go get some pills for me too while your'e there" when I mentioned seeing a therapist. This is crushing. Sometimes I wonder why I've put up with this so many years (around 19) At times he's the most loving person, funny etc., and I don't see us actually ever apart. We've built so much together, and that's all important, but the "me" in me is missing now. The truth is, I think he's depressed also- has been ever since I've known him maybe. I told him that yesterday and of course we got in a huge fight. Words spew from me when I'm upset because I bottle things up.

Well, this is turning into an about me story when I was going to just post and tell you I feel the same way and you are not alone. And it does seem wierd when you are the one going through it, but then again, it also seems totally normal to want an intimacy with someone. I think that's the core of my depression right now. Feeling lost, disconnected and like "what's the meaning of life".... Lucky for those who have husbands who can hold a woman when she's crying and help to lift her up rather than kick her when she's down. I'm not on Prozac or anything.....just imbalanced hormones and emotions. Remember too, that being "in love" causes a feel good chemical to be released in your brain which is addictive.

Hope things get better for you. Hopefully it's partly the meds....and if not good luck dealing with your husband. Being married is NOT easy.

Closed Thread