It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

kari d HB User
switching from lexapro to wellbutrin

my doc has just switched me from 20mg lexapro to 150 wellbutrin xl. i havent gotton the prescription filled yet. He told me i dont have to wean off the lexapro, just start taking the wellbutrin. the reason for the change was the weight gain on the lexapro which i have been taking for about 2 years. so has anyone changed suddenly from lexapro to wellbutrin and what side effects can i expect? Thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
(female)

mycatwillow HB User
Re: switching from lexapro to wellbutrin

You've probably heard this, but it's difficult to predict reaction to a drug because everyone is so different. I haven't been on lexapro but have tried Wellbutrin and found that it made my anxiety go through the roof. That may not happen for you though. People can tell you their experiences, but the best you can do is give it a shot and watch for side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I'm on a cocktail of meds for several problems, but I can tell you that the Lexipro helped my OCD but made me depressed, so now I'm taking Wellbutrin too, and am feeling much better.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

leilani3202 HB User

I started out on the generic form of wellbutrin, bupropian, and that made me worse. My doctor added lexapro and it was way better, im much happier!

Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

I, too, gained weight on Lexapro but stopped taking it b/c it was no longer effective for my depression. For the last month I've been on Wellbutrin and it has helped a lot, I also lost 5 lbs. I did experience some anxiety but it has dissapated over the weeks. Like Willow said meds effect everyone differently so give it a couple of weeks, a month maybe and see if it works for you. Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

lexi21284 HB User
Unhappy Re: switching from lexapro to wellbutrin

Wean yourself off slowly. If I forget to take it for a few days I start to twitch, yeah it's really scary.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
(female)

kari d HB User

thanks to all who replied. In a few weeks, i'll let you all know how it's working for me and if i lose any weight!!! I've heard the generic wellbutrin doesnt work and i'm sure thats what my insurance will give me.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
(female)

browneyez1978 HB User

My doctor just switched me from Lexapro 10 mg (due to weight gain) to Wellbutrin. I stopped taking the Lexapro 3 days ago and immediately started the Wellbutrin. Unfortunately, just like every other time I have tried to stop taking an SSRI, I am starting with withdrawals. The doctor said it wouldn't happen, but I am having the same dizziness, nausea, etc. as always. I guess that would make sense though because from what I read, Wellbutrin does not increase seretonin like the SSRI's do. It works with two other chemicals in the brain. I hope you have better luck!!!!!!!

Closed Thread