It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
(female)

UpNAtom77 HB User
? About Red Bull

Hey all,

Is there anyone here who has found that their symptoms (depression and anxiety) improve GREATLY after drinking a Red Bull?

I've started to drink the sugar-free Red Bulls, and every time I do it seems like it acts as an antidepressant/anti anxiety med--believe it or not, whenever I drink it I definitely feel a shift where I become much more outgoing, confident, and comforatble, and I find that the urge to worry myself sick about what people think goes away. But what's even more interesting to me is that at the same time I don't feel jacked up on caffene (sp?) or tense, I feel a sense of CALM. In short I feel "normal" for some time after drinking a can, and remarkably this feels more "normal" than I have EVER felt while taking prescription meds.

I don't think that this is the placebo effect at work because I have never heard of Red Bull being marketed as an anti-depressant, nor has anyone recommended them to me for this use. I actually began drinking them because I simply wanted something to wake me up physically before early morning meetings at work

I'm curious about which ingredient is actually making the difference, or if it is the combination of them. As I said earlier, I drink the sugar free ones, so it's not a "sugar buzz". It does have lots of b-vitamins, but I haven't had any positive effects like this from taking vitamins, even the "Super B complex ones". Could it be the Taurine?

I'm very curious about this, since I've not had any luck on any of the prescription meds I've taken on the past. I'd love to know what in the drink is making me feel better, because it might give me a clue as to what my body needs to beat this depression!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: ? About Red Bull

this would be the caffein in the drink. I also sometimes get this, although other times it makes me more anxious and restless.

Redbull isn't marked as an anti-depressant, as caffein doesn't generly help depression, but it's great that you have found something that helps you. humans body's and minds are strange and everyone ends up with different ways to helping depression. Do you feel very exhasuted while depressed? It may be because you are able to motitave your self better and go out more when you drink the red bull, and there for, exercise and social contact is helping your depression. you say it helps with your anxiety? does it go away compleatly?

take care.

Zoe.

Last edited by xxxzoexxx; 08-05-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
(male)

Breezes HB User

One of the ingredients is inositol. It was mentioned in Beyond Prozac as a possible treatment for depression. I don't know much about it though.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

oh, i never knew that, that is very interesting.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
(male)

Roche87 HB User

hmmm... I could try that, I didn't get any sleep last night(trying to fix up my sleeping habits by staying awake until ten). Im dropping a bit. Its 4:34, still got a while to go.

I need the energy anyway.

Anti-dep. is just a bonus.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

always smiling HB User

I get the same good feeling from those energy drinks too. I usually drink Rock Star though.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Energy drinks also tend to make me feel great! Maybe it's worth having one each day...

I also deal with anxiety and most of the time caffeine doesn't make it any worse. If anything it makes me more picky about things and I end up cleaning up my home like crazy! So it's more of a good thing than bad ! Every now and then caffeine will make my anxiety worse, but it takes a lot to do that... more from the amount in a diet pill or caffeine pill, which is why I don't like to take those!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNAtom77 View Post
Hey all,

Is there anyone here who has found that their symptoms (depression and anxiety) improve GREATLY after drinking a Red Bull?

I've started to drink the sugar-free Red Bulls, and every time I do it seems like it acts as an antidepressant/anti anxiety med--believe it or not, whenever I drink it I definitely feel a shift where I become much more outgoing, confident, and comforatble, and I find that the urge to worry myself sick about what people think goes away. But what's even more interesting to me is that at the same time I don't feel jacked up on caffene (sp?) or tense, I feel a sense of CALM. In short I feel "normal" for some time after drinking a can, and remarkably this feels more "normal" than I have EVER felt while taking prescription meds.

I don't think that this is the placebo effect at work because I have never heard of Red Bull being marketed as an anti-depressant, nor has anyone recommended them to me for this use. I actually began drinking them because I simply wanted something to wake me up physically before early morning meetings at work

I'm curious about which ingredient is actually making the difference, or if it is the combination of them. As I said earlier, I drink the sugar free ones, so it's not a "sugar buzz". It does have lots of b-vitamins, but I haven't had any positive effects like this from taking vitamins, even the "Super B complex ones". Could it be the Taurine?

I'm very curious about this, since I've not had any luck on any of the prescription meds I've taken on the past. I'd love to know what in the drink is making me feel better, because it might give me a clue as to what my body needs to beat this depression!

Please be careful. France banned Red Bull because the drink was tied to deaths.....

Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
(male)

BigBlock21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour93 View Post
Please be careful. France banned Red Bull because the drink was tied to deaths.....
I doubt they have any good research to prove this. Drinking a redbull alone will not hurt you. A death or two might have been caused from idiots who drank several cans in a row or mixed it with alcohol or other drugs. People have died from overdoses of water, too.

There really isn't that much caffeine in drinks like redbull and rockstar, around 80mg I think, which is less than a normal cup of coffee. I too try to drink a can of rockstar every day, and it makes me feel better at least for a short while. My doctor says I shouldn't, but anything that makes me feel better I'm going to use. They get a lot of bad press about being "bad" for whatever reason, but really, they're mostly just vitimins.

Last edited by BigBlock21; 08-07-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock21 View Post
I too try to drink a can of rockstar every day, and it makes me feel better at least for a short while. My doctor says I shouldn't, but anything that makes me feel better I'm going to use.
You should ask your doc why. I bet there is a good reason.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
(male)

Roche87 HB User

Yeah it does seem to pick me up a bit but that could be caffeine related.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I think a lot of doctors don't recommend those because they think you should be able to feel great without the caffeine.. and the fact that people overdo it. I agree that any deaths are probably caused by those crazy partiers who mix alcohol and red bull and go crazy with it and chug can after can. Just drink them normally and limit how many you have and you will be fine!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
I think a lot of doctors don't recommend those because they think you should be able to feel great without the caffeine.. and the fact that people overdo it. I agree that any deaths are probably caused by those crazy partiers who mix alcohol and red bull and go crazy with it and chug can after can. Just drink them normally and limit how many you have and you will be fine!
A friend of mine once drank with red bull as a mix one night (can't remember which alcohol it was mixed with). She had 5 or 6 drinks and said she felt really, really agitated by the end of the night and would never do it again. And she's normally a really laid back person.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatwillow View Post
A friend of mine once drank with red bull as a mix one night (can't remember which alcohol it was mixed with). She had 5 or 6 drinks and said she felt really, really agitated by the end of the night and would never do it again. And she's normally a really laid back person.
Yeah that's no good!! That's a lot of Red Bull for one night too. A lot of my friends like to mix Red Bull with Jagermeister and I've been fine with that stuff, but I usually don't have a lot of it!

Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

I try to stay away from anything that has any chance of increasing anxiety. The only caffeine I get is from chocolate, which I can sometimes od on. And I guess some pain killers have it also.

Closed Thread