It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User
Mycatwillow & anyone else that wants to chat!!!!

Willow, Just wanted to let you know that your post was a great comfort to me!! Especially since the first couple of days here in Florida were really uncomfortable. I felt down, low energy, my sister was looking at me wondering if I was having a good time, then I felt pressured. Depression seems to run the show. A couple of days later I'm feeling much better and greatly relieved because my sis & bro-in-law have been showing me all around. I feel like I can now breathe.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had difficulty while vacationing. I don't have much experience with this past time because usually I would use all of my vacation time for sick time and end up going nowhere.

Last edited by positivity17; 08-08-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: another thought!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
(female)

mycatwillow HB User
Re: Mycatwillow & anyone else that wants to chat!!!!

Glad I could help. When you're not used to being away and you're out of your routine do you feel out of sorts? I do, although not as bad as you might think. Not having a routine to fall back on is difficult, but usually I have no problem going away, although most of my trips haven't been major in that most times I'm with other friends. It may be different if I left the continent or went somewhere really exotic where the culture is really different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Pos, I have trouble with vacation! Every year I waste my earned vacation time (it doesn't roll over and we're not paid for unused time). If I spend too much time off from work I get really depressed and feel useless. Sometimes I have to go out of state for work, and I usually take a few extra days to explore. In these cases my husband comes with me and we make it a mini vacation. These trips are OK, but before them I get really anxious and depressed. Being thrown off my routine upsets me. I had to go to Miami last year alone for work. I wouldn't have made it without my Ativan!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatwillow View Post
Glad I could help. When you're not used to being away and you're out of your routine do you feel out of sorts?
Extremely so, in fact, since I arrived at my sister's my whole schedule is off and I definitely need a routine which is something that I really live by on the normal day to day. My sis laughed at me when I told her that my bedtime is between 11 & 12 -- (with the exception of my manic times like right now where the hour is near 3am). But for me it goes a little deeper, when I'm not in my own surroundings I don't feel grounded, it's very uncomfortable to me. I take comfort in the small things like my orange blanket, watering my plants, using a certain oversized mug for my tea, having all of my clothes and necessities at hand, sitting on my porch and looking at my sunflowers grow, hearing the drunks talking loudly in the street at night (I do live in an Irish enclave!), having people ring my doorbell...etc. I'm afraid that I'm getting too set in my ways, that can't be a good thing but I thrive on familiarity.

Do you ever feel awkward with your friends while on vacation?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
Pos, I have trouble with vacation! .....but before them I get really anxious and depressed.
Do you know what causes you to get anxious and depressed, is it the up and coming change in scenery?? BTW, it's nice to know that I'm not alone on this one. My biggest problem with traveling is getting my *** on the plane even though once I do it I'm fine. But beforehand I'm always full of excruciating fear, I've missed flights and mini-vacations over the years b/c of this!!

Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

My problem is that I feel sort of worthless and purpose-less without my job. (I live a sad life, I know!) When I'm not working I tend to feel like I have no reason to be alive. I go for a couple of days, but give me a whole week and I'm lost! As far as the traveling goes, I just get really nervous and a bit angry that my routine is thrown off. I feel so comfortable in my "safety zone" that anything outside of it feels like a threat.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

Positivity, it's the small things, that's it exactly. Even with something as simple as having a shower and doing my hair, it makes me anxious because all my things aren't in the right place and I have to search through my bags for a brush or hairspray, etc. I feel so unorganized.

I do sometimes feel awkward with friends while on vacation, depending on the circumstances. If I'm visiting a friend and I'm staying with them I feel like I'm being a nuisance. And if I'm travelling with a friend I might if I go a long time without having any time to myself. At the end of the month a bunch of us are renting some cabins for a weekend and I'll be sharing a cabin with a friend. We'll be socializing for the entire weekend and I might have to sneak off by myself for a bit for a breather.

I also worry about my cat, so leaving is really hard. I'm constantly going back to check the stove and make sure that everything is unplugged and the door is locked and everything. If I didn't have a pet it wouldn't be a big deal, but since she's there it makes me worry. The funny thing is once I'm gone I'm fine because I know there's nothing I can do about it, the problem is getting gone.

Maria, I know what you mean about feeling purpose-less without your job. When I was first put off work I felt so guiltly because I was so unproductive and not a "decent" member of society. But I have no problem taking my vacation time. I earn it so I'm going to take it, even if I have nothing to do.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
(female)

alliepie HB User

Hi 17!

Sorry that I haven't been on for a while. How is the vacation going? I read your posts... and hope that it is better. I went to my second therepy session today. I didn't cry this time... so its a start. I actually got depressed/anxiety right before I had to come back home from vacation. I did not want to come back to my life. I hope that you have a good weekend, my friend.

Allie

Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
My problem is that I feel sort of worthless and purpose-less without my job.
I relate to this, when I lost my job I was devestated and felt like I was nothing b/c I identified myself by my job as do most people. Nowadays I've come to grips with not having a job for right now and feel okay about myself. But I can't tell you how many times in conversation people ask what I "do" (jobwise of course) and it's not even that they care what I do, rather it's just something to talk about. Anyway, glad to not be alone in how I feel.....

Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatwillow View Post
We'll be socializing for the entire weekend and I might have to sneak off by myself for a bit for a breather.

At least you know yourself well enough to realize that you need down time. After being here for a couple of days I found myself feeling overwhelmed b/c I didn't have enough time alone with my thoughts. When I finally became aware I spent an afternoon alone and it made all the difference in the world. Awareness is key and I'm so glad that I've been handling myself so well, it's amazing how comfortable and relaxed I'm feeling!! In the past I would react to how I was feeling without understanding those feelings and things would end up being awkward. I'm really digging Florida!!

Will you be doing the whole nature/oudoor activities when you rent the cabin? Campfire and hiking??

Last edited by positivity17; 08-11-2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: bad grammer

Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliepie View Post
I went to my second therepy session today. I didn't cry this time... so its a start.
That's great -- I'm very proud of you!! Just realize that it's okay to cry, especially if they're healing tears, hopefully with time you will be more comfortable. I used to sit on the bathroom floor when I did my crying b/c that's what I did growing up, we were definitely not allowed to cry. You know when parents say "Are you crying? I'll give you something to cry about!!" -- that's all I heard so we had to do it on the sneak. Imagine. Does anyone share this experience??

I'm much better about crying anywhere if I need to, lately I feel like crying alot, only it's out of gratitude b/c the depression has lifted for the most part. The first couple of days in Florida I was just going thru the motions and I thought why did I come here?! A couple of days after that I felt like myself again and it was a big relief b/c my sister and bro-in-law were really wanting me to be excited.

I do have to share this with you though: the first day at the beach I got caught in a riptide and it really shook me up, I thought I was going to drown. There was no lifeguard - apparently only certain beaches have them. Since then I only go up to mid-section. Having said that, the beaches here are amazing, I've never seen such blue water before, nor free living dolphins.

Allie, good to hear from you!! Since you hadn't posted in a bit does that mean that you're doing exceptionally well in your day to day? Oh, also curious to know whether you are comfortable with your therapist thus far. Be in touch again!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #12
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

Positivity, I'm glad to hear you're feeling well and having a nice vacation. Something else I do sometimes when I'm going anywhere is anticipate that I'm not going to have a good time and then when I get there and have a good time I'm surprised. I just have to get myself there. Sometimes it's all in my head.

The cabins we will be going to at the end of the month are on the outskirsts of a small town where my friend used to spend her summers. It's a very small town, almost too small to call a town! We'ill be in the cabins which have beds & showers, but they're cold at night so they have space heaters. It's not quite camping but almost. At night we will all converge on one cabin and barbecue and have a few drinks (1 or 2 for me). We go for walks and look at antique shops and that sort of thing. There's also a small lake for canoeing, although I didn't do that last year as it was mostly just the kids who did it.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Willow, I'm about to crash so I'll respond tom. Ciao for now!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Thanks Willow, this is the best vacation ever!! I'm so relaxed, I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with my sis and bro-in-law, as did I the beach & pool. Usually after 2 weeks with visitors I'm maxed out, not the case here at all, it's been absolutely comfortable and I've had some time on my own so it hasn't been overwhelming not having my space. I visited my friend David and his wife Katie in St. Petersburg which is an hour away from my sisters, I'm thinking it is a place that I could live. It has a touristy area, then a local area with funky cool shops, cafes, eateries and art galleries. There is even an art center where you can take classes and have an exhibition. My friend David is encouraging me to make the move and my sister has already been trying to recruit me. I'd like to visit in the winter and see what it's like. Right now is the worst weather and to be honest, it's not really too bad, I would prefer one month of humid heat over 3 months of winter anyday! Anyway, I'm sort of excited about this prospect.

The place you're going to at the end of the month sounds really nice & cozy. I absolutely love antiques, in fact, I bought 2 antique watches here in Florida. How about you? From what I gather you enjoy nature so this will be a cool trip for you. I hope you have a good time with your friends. Do you make S'mores over the camp fire?

Well tonight is my last night here in Florida, I'll be going to dinner with my sis & her hubby, maybe a couple of their friends. Will end for now, be in touch again, hope all is well on your end!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #15
(female)

mycatwillow HB User

You're lucky to be able to spend time about the pool. The summer here has not been good at all. We've only had a good spread of decent weather the last few weeks. Before that it's been fog & rain. I've been by the pool only a couple of times. I'm not a great swimmer, but I at least like to get in the water. Anyway, around here a bad summer usually means a good fall. Fall is actually my favorite time of year.

I'm not much for antiques, although I do like to look at old things. I like to think about the history of it. Last year we saw a suit of armour that my friend bought for her husband for Christmas. It was funny because we had to load it into the car and take it back to the cabins and transfer it to her father's car so he could take it home with him to hide it until Christmas. We put it in his car and covered it with a blanket and kept it hidden. We somehow pulled it off, and now it's sitting next the the bar at their house.

I sometimes wish I lived in a warmer climate too. I guess it would be as cold in New York as it gets here. Actually the winter was warmer than normal until late January, then it got so cold it felt like hell had actually frozen over.

I hope you're last night in Florida was a good one.

Closed Thread