It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

DontEverListen HB User
Exclamation Diagnosed, Have Questions!

Hi. Quick background- I'm a 21 year old female. My boyfriend of 2 years recently decided he couldn't handle a relationship anymore while he is studying abroad. He went from "I want to be with you forever" to "I don't have feelings for you" in the matter of a week. I was extremely hurt and had a hard time with it, so I went to see a therapist.

To go back even further, I feel like I have always been depressed. I tried seeing a therapist several times before, but never went back after the first appointment. About 8 years ago, I was suicidal. A close family friend committed suicide around that time, and I decided dying wasn't the way to go, but I still have days where I seriously consider 'disappearing'. I suffer from a little bit of anxiety too. Usually surrounding school work (doing well) and always wanting to be on time.

Back to now--- I had an appointment with the therapist today. She told me that she wants me to seek higher help, I guess you could say, and get on some meds.

I don't know how to take this. I've heard so many things about meds. Like how your sex drive plummets, you aren't yourself, you get sick. I genuinely wish most days of my life that I could be "normal" and not feel so down all the time, but what is the deal with meds? I've tried thinking positively, I've tried thought reversal and all sorts of stuff, but even my boyfriend couldn't make me feel any better on some days. Would the meds sort that out?

I guess I'm afraid to lose "me" in all of this. I don't want to be a moping, sad person for the rest of my life. I see happy people and I want that, but I feel like I can't reach it on my own. I'm afraid meds will take away my anxiety, and then maybe I won't do so well in school. Or maybe I'll become a zombie. I have no idea! All I know is that I recently lost my biggest and possibly only support, and I'm scared, hurting, and confused.

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant about all of this, but I really don't know much about meds, and I don't know what to do. Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Diagnosed, Have Questions!

Hi:

To go on meds is not an easy decision nor should it be treated lightly. It really comes down to standard of living. Therapy is a good thing and a lot of people find salvation in it the problem is for some of us therapy alone will not get the job done. Meds can give you the boost that makes things a little bit easier and helps you think more clearly. It is hard to get the full benifit of therapy when you are unable to focus. this all sounds good but there is a downside to meds. Every ones body chemistry is unique and so is the way they respond to a particular med. Some people do very well with Paxil but it sent me over the edge, Effexor is my favorite med but a lot of people have problems with it. Unfortunately it is kind of like a roulette wheel trying to find the right med and it is time consuming. As for the side effects it really comes down to your perception of things. Yes a great sex drive is important but if you never leave your house it diminishes quickly. Hopefully your journey with meds will be a quick one and in the end it will be worth it

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Over50butactive HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontEverListen View Post
Back to now--- I had an appointment with the therapist today. She told me that she wants me to seek higher help, I guess you could say, and get on some meds.
You have taken a very important step. Congratulations!

I believe the consensus among professionals is that a "combination" of psychotherapy (talk therapy) and medication is the best treatment regimen for depression.

The "talk therapy" does not imply a long-term commitment and a huge financial burden. However, to find the right medication(s) and dosage may take time.

I still remember these words from my doctor from the early 1990's: "I can't take a biopsy of your brain, and determine which medication is best for you......it's largely a matter of trial and error, but hopefully, a matter of trial and success."

Please do not fear medications. You may find one that works very well for you with minimal side effects.

RECOMMENDATION: Please read as much as you can about depression. Educate yourself! There are many wonderful sources. I believe Government websites are allowed to be posted. I recommend this one, to start:

[url]http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinformation/depressionmenu.cfm[/url]

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hi there!
You fear is understandable!
I felt exactly the same, when I sort of realized that I had reached a point when I needed outside help to cope.
You can strike lucky, as I did. The first mediacation I took was to even out my mood and to help me relax and stop panic attacks ( which is a lot worse than what you have, Thank God). That lasted four years. I had absolutely NO side effects. Then, It just happened that I needed BETTER therapy.
So I hooked myself to a psychiatrist after recommendation. I again struck lucky. He changed the medication and we got really deep into the causes of all my problems, childhood and parental behaviour and my power to change all this.
I tell you and I have said this thing many times on this board. He has changed my life. Seven months into therapy and I am now taking the absolute minimum of meds, I have lost weight, I feel happy, more in control, better able to cope and have a very positive outlook of life.
So, if you need to take meds, do. If you must see someone ,DO. Combine both and you have a sure way to success.
Do not be scared thinking about side effects and that you may never be able to be off medication. You will. You must have faith. When you start getting better, with the right support, you will stand on your own feet and you will be able to see the sun shining again.. And you will realize that there is light outside the tunnel you are in.
Take heart. We are here.
Good luck and God bless you.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

The decision to take meds should not be taken lightly. If you decide to go that route, keep expectations in check. Happy pills they are not.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

FWIW, I wouldn't touch effexor with a ten foot pole. The withdrawal is a nightmare.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
(male)

Breezes HB User

Meds might make using therapy easier. I would highly recommend making a commitment to therapy so less is left to chance. A therapist can help you focus on triggering issues. With time and effort, this could be an opportunity to beat depression. A good support system and exercise is really helpful in my experience.

Closed Thread