It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

jojo9515 HB User
Different kinds of depression

Does anyone know if doctors can perform a cat scan or a MRI to find out which kind of depression a person has? There are so many different kinds of depression like post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar depression, thyroid disorder can cause it, and a chemical imbalance like serotonin and norepinephrine. It seems to me if a doctor knows what is causing a person to be depressed he or she would know what kind of medicine would benefit them the most. I know if depression is cause by a thyroid disorder a cat scan or a MRI would help much, but if depression is cause by a cheimical imbalance or bipolar depression it looks like this would show up on a cat scan or a MRI. I have been depressed for years and I want to get to the root of it.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
(female)

desperate1 HB User
Re: Different kinds of depression

Do some reading about PET scans. I'm not certain, but I think this is what is sometimes used. I know I've seen studies where they show a PET scan image of the brain of a depressed person before and after treatment. They can also tell if someone has ADD this way, and a number of other things. I have limited knowledge, but my guess is if they could see it any way, it would be with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

A doc performs tests to rule out physical causes like thyroid. Then a psychotherapist gets to the bottom of it.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

The cost of these tests is too high for one.....Secondly, depression is complex. Researchers do not know half the story imo.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
(female)

even_sly HB User

I've heard of tests before... I can't for the heck of me remember what they are, though. They cost thousands of dollars... A friend of mine was considering doing them because the docs were having a hard time diagnosing her. Gosh, if I remember what they are, I'll let you know, k? ((((hugs))))

Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
(female)

Maneka5* HB User

A simple blood test called a thyroid function test will determine levels of thyroxine in the blood. This indicates hyper (high) or hypo(low) activity of the thyroid gland.
Serotonin levels can also be determined with a blood test, but it is unknown whether low serotonin levels cause depression or if depression causes low serotonin levels. Either/Or, it doesnt matter, they can attempt to correct this with SSRIs, but it takes time.
PTSD, if you had this you would know. Believe me. Thats all i'll say about that.
And Bipolar is characterised by alternating episodes of depression and mania.
If you feel there are certain issues in your past that you havnt dealt with and as a result you are depressed, then counselling certainly helps. There is not a pill for every ill. Follow your gut feeling.
Best of luck

Old 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
(female)

jojo9515 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneka5* View Post
A simple blood test called a thyroid function test will determine levels of thyroxine in the blood. This indicates hyper (high) or hypo(low) activity of the thyroid gland.
Serotonin levels can also be determined with a blood test, but it is unknown whether low serotonin levels cause depression or if depression causes low serotonin levels. Either/Or, it doesnt matter, they can attempt to correct this with SSRIs, but it takes time.
PTSD, if you had this you would know. Believe me. Thats all i'll say about that.
And Bipolar is characterised by alternating episodes of depression and mania.
If you feel there are certain issues in your past that you havnt dealt with and as a result you are depressed, then counselling certainly helps. There is not a pill for every ill. Follow your gut feeling.
Best of luck
Thank you Maneka for the information. I didn't know that a blood test could show serotonin level. I am glad to find out all of this information, so I can get my doctor to check my blood for serotonin levels.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
(female)

jojo9515 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by even_sly View Post
I've heard of tests before... I can't for the heck of me remember what they are, though. They cost thousands of dollars... A friend of mine was considering doing them because the docs were having a hard time diagnosing her. Gosh, if I remember what they are, I'll let you know, k? ((((hugs))))
Thanks even sly for the information. Yes please if you find out the name of this test please tell me. I am trying to find out all I can before I go back for my check up.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

There is a scan called the spect scan that is probably what you are talking about. I would love to have it but I don't think they do it anywhere close to me. It's expensive though and I think you would have to file your insurance yourself. Let me know if you find anymore about it. Good luck

Closed Thread