It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

sue19 HB User
Question bipolar/manic depression?

Anyone out there suffer from this and what exactly is it? What are symptoms of it? Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

jendg28 HB User
Re: bipolar/manic depression?

I have Bipolar type 1. Bipolar is simply shifting from one extreme mood to another. Sometimes rather quickly(rapid cycling).

You have the classic depressive symptoms like: sleeping too much(or too little), no interest in daily life, lack of motivation, physical pain, suicidal, wanting to hurt yourself, intrusive thoughts, etc

Mania is the other end of the scale. Overly happy, thinking you are someon/something more important than you actually are/ needing very little sleep/a LOT of energy/talking very fast/ over spending/ hypersexuallity/ calling people on the phone in the middle of the night/ delusions/ and a lot of other symptoms as well.

Sometimes people don't experience severe mania. They experience Hypomania. That is basically mild mania.

Sometimes people experience extreme irritability/anger when they are manic instead of or in addition to other symptoms.

People who are bipolar can also have what they call mixed episodes. That is when you are depressed and manic at the same time.

I hope that helps. It's not a clinical description of Bipolar Disorder, just a summary of some of my symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User

Sometimes I think we all have bipolar (myself included) I can't really assess your case because you haven't said. But if you are suffering from similar symptoms I would advise to see a doctor, juct in case.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Wow Jen, that was a great summary, thanks for reminding me of what my symptoms are. At this time I am experiencing mania but it is hypomania which I haven't had in quite some time. To be honest, I love feeling this way!

Last edited by positivity17; 08-15-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

jendg28 HB User

Your welcome. Be careful with the mania. I know it's fun being manic sometimes and often a pleasant switch from depression but it can also turn on you quickly. When manic, I often become depressed quickly and get in a mixed state or start rapid cycling. That is when the extreme behavior and thoughts start. Not to mention suicidal thoughts. Be careful and do what you can to get out of the manic state.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
(female)

jendg28 HB User

We all don't have bipolar disorder. Everyone experiences shifts in mood, but bipolar disorder is EXTREME.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

jen, I know that you're right about being careful, the thing I mostly have to watch out for is the hypersexuality though just recently I've found someone for that. I have been a rapid cycler in the past, to be honest with you I don't always know, it's a friend of mine that is able to tell me. Next week I see my psychiatrist and grudgingly I will tell him about the mania. I'm noticing that two days a week I don't sleep and my energy is insane, after having such low depression I am really enjoying this. Thanks for your input, it is very appreciated.

Closed Thread