It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

honeyBfly HB User
hey im new and depressed...i have a question

Hi..I'm new and been lurkin around the boards lately. It's been really helpful to me. Quick question...how do I seek professional help? I'm very limited because my insurance only covers a few professionals around the area. My doctor referred me to a female psychiatrist whom I'm not comfortable talkin' to and I'm afraid I won't be able to pick the right psychologist or pyschiatrist because my insurance limits my options to a few professionals in the area.....ugh...this is just another thing that's been getting me down..Pls help how do I start? and where do I start?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
(female)

jendg28 HB User
Re: hey im new and depressed...i have a question

Call up every person on your list that your insurance covers and "interview" them. You want to make sure they are accessible. What are their hours? In an emergency, who do you call? How are they paid? Do they file insurance, etc. Do they have any experience with the disorder you have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

You have a right to chose your therapist (so long as they're within your insurance company's plan). I started with one therapist and switched. The first one didn't seem to be listening half the time, and I felt he didn't get what I was saying when he did pay attention. He only worked at that office 1 night a week, and wasn't available when I had an emergency. It was at that point that I freaked out and demanded a different therapist. The one I've been with since has been 99.9% perfect for me!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
(female)

honeyBfly HB User

awww thanks for replying...youre all so kind =)

Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

I know in my town we have a place that offers help based on your income if insurance doesnt cover other therapists...I think they still charge but it's more reasonable then if you went to someone that didnt take insurance and had to pay for them....My doctor told me about it, maybe yours knows of something similar in your area.

Closed Thread