It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
(male)

Botcho HB User
Remeron (mirtazapine) taper

Does anyone have a successful taper plan for Remeron?

I have been on 30mg since March 15th. On August 5th I lowered the dosage down to 15mg, with the pdoc’s permission of course. I did not feel that bad, just more tired, which I read can be expected at a lower dose.

The pdoc mentioned that the withdrawals shouldn’t be an issue with going from 15mg to zero, which I hope to start over the weekend.

I would love to hear from the masses what the withdrawals re like off of this med?
I trust your judgment on this as all of you had to live through it, and survive, not a pdoc sitting in an office.

Thanx!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Remeron (mirtazapine) taper

I have dropped from 60mg to 0 a number of times due to me forgeting to refill a prescription with no ill side effects. I have never heard of anyone who had difficulty coming off of Remeron.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

kiwi5010 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botcho View Post
Does anyone have a successful taper plan for Remeron?

I have been on 30mg since March 15th. On August 5th I lowered the dosage down to 15mg, with the pdoc’s permission of course. I did not feel that bad, just more tired, which I read can be expected at a lower dose.

The pdoc mentioned that the withdrawals shouldn’t be an issue with going from 15mg to zero, which I hope to start over the weekend.

I would love to hear from the masses what the withdrawals re like off of this med?
I trust your judgment on this as all of you had to live through it, and survive, not a pdoc sitting in an office.

Thanx!!
My husband is on Remeron, the doc wants him to go off, he's been on it for years, he had no problem going from 30mg to 15mg. He was on 15 mg for a few weeks then tried splitting the 15's in half and started waking up at 3am. I don't know if that's any help, we thought maybe wait a few more weeks and then start trying again. He tried 1/2 of a 15 mg pill 2 times and he woke up around 3am both times and slept restlessly after that. I'd like to hear how you've felt after going to zero.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
(male)

Botcho HB User

Lat night was night number two. I fell asleep ok, but woke several times during the night, but was able to fall back to sleep. I did not sleep like I did on Remeron, which zonks you out for 8 hours or more. I have a scrip for Ambien, but only want to use that if I really need it. My head feels a little less cloudy than it used to, and I feel like I have a little more energy. I will keep you posted.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
(male)

Botcho HB User

Yesterday afternoon I started getting a nagging headache, behind the ears, the headache that feels like you have a cold. I did not take anything such as Advil or Tylenol. I toughed it out I have had no "zaps", but I do get light auras from time to time. They come and go.

Last night was night number three Remeron free. I took two melatonin, a natural sleep aid, before I went to bed, and I fell asleep within 10 minutes of hitting the sack I awoke a few times during the night, but fell right back to sleep. I have not had any crazy, wacky strange dreams like I used to on Remeron. For those who have taken it, you know what I mean. When the alarm went off this morning I started having a few racing thoughts, but it was not that bad.

This morning I still have a slight headache. Thanks for reading, more to follow

Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
(male)

Botcho HB User

Same nagging headache yesterday afternoon. Broke down and took two Advil. It seemed to help.
Last night was night number four Remeron free. I took two melatonin, a natural sleep aid, before I went to bed, and I fell asleep within 10 minutes of hitting the sack I awoke a few times during the night, but fell right back to sleep. Awoke at 5am this morning and tossed and turned until it was time to get up, again, few racing thoughts, but it was not that bad. Slight headache this morning. Wife mentioned that I seemed more chipper and that I was not leaving the house with bags under my eyes like I used to. I can only hope that as the days go by, it gets better

Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
(male)

Botcho HB User

Headache was not as bad yesterday. I took two Advil after lunch.
Felt a little anxious here and there, but it passed. Took a couple of Melatonin last night to sleep. Slept soundly through the night, woke up around 6am.
Felt good. Slight headache this morning.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
(male)

Botcho HB User

Yesterday afternoon was rough. More anxiety than usual. Yesterday evening was not that bad, and I was able to get to sleep. Took Melatonin once again.
Woke up at about 5am, with anxiety. Was not able to get back to sleep.
Went into work. Still have some anxiety. See how I feel after my morning dose of Neurontin and Buspar. I am not sure if this is re-bound anxiety or my old symptoms coming back. I really don't think the Remeon was helping me that much. Today will be day 7. I am hoping that as the days pass I will get better. For everone out that that is tapering or going cold turkey, I commend you in your fight

Old 08-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
(male)

Botcho HB User

Day 8. Still have nagging headaches, and higher than usual levels of anxiety.
I can fall asleep, but wake early, 5am. Even though many say there is no withdrawal from this med, I am begining to wonder. I can't imagine headaches like this caused by something else.
I am not sure if the neurontin or Buspar is helping if at all. I see the pdoc on Monday, so it will be interesting to see what he has to say. He will probably be angry that I went off the Remeron, but I am gald that I did. I feel like I lost 10 pounds in water weight alone.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
(male)

Botcho HB User

Day 9. Sleeping is rough. I am getting 6 hours. That is with the help of Ambien. Once I am up, I can not fall back to sleep. I sleep through the night, but I am up, usually up at 5am, then the anxiety kicks in.
Anxiety comes at different times of the day. No full blown panic, just underlying anxity. Headaches were not as bad today as they have been in the past.

Good news.
My wife told me I look great. I am not as puffy. I don't have bags under my eyes. I do have more energy. I am not as lethargic and a bump on a log.
I hope that as the days go by, my symptoms will lessen

Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #11
(male)

Botcho HB User

Day 10. Sleeping is still an issue. Went to bed at 10, got up 4. I guess I can't complain, it's 6 hours. That was with the help of an Ambien. Anxiety is still pretty rough as well, and again, that's with the help of Buspar. I am still on the fence about Buspar and it's effectiveness. I see the pdoc today, so I am wondering what he will have me do. My guess is to bump the Buspar to 3 times at day. 45mg total. Either that or put me on another anti-depressant, which I really don't want to do. I am hoping that a lot of this anxiety is from coming of Remeron. One day at a time right?

Closed Thread