It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

Angelica_01 HB User
being depressed and selfish?

since i've become depressed, i feel that i've also become so selfish and self absorbed. i was never like that before, at least i didn't think so. now that i'm dealing with my own major issues, it seems that when others tell me about their problems, they seem so petty to me. for instance, a few days ago, a friend was telling me about his problems with his wife, and although I could understand where he was coming from and agree that they need to take time to work things out, the whole time, I kept thinking to myself, "you're kidding me? i've been on the brink of having suicidal thoughts, struggle to dig myself out of this black hole, find hope again, and all you can complaint about is that?" does anyone else feel this?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: being depressed and selfish?

I used to, although that ended up making me feel worse and more bitter. Everyone has problems, try to see it this way, your problems may not seem much to other people, and other people's problems may seem nothing to you, however, both person's feel awful. whether appearing a big, or small issue, it's how the person feels inside the counts, for how much pain they are feeling.

make good use of your depression (heh, it's easy for one to say) well what i mean is try to be empatheic, it not only helps the other person, but will help you too, it make you feel nice that you can be of help.

take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User
Re: being depressed and selfish?

I've often felt the same way, but then I realized it was exactly as Zoe says. My problems likely seem pathetic and petty to other people also. It changed my whole way of thinking. I can now offer empathy to anyone, no matter how "small" the problem is.

Closed Thread