It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User
If you are not afraid of death, then why are you scared of living?

Well, this might be a bit of a pointless thread, but my friend asked me this question the other day (as title), and I didn't quite know how to answer, coz I am not scared of living, but I feel still feel suicidal sometimes, so I suppos I am not afraid of death either... and these two dont seem to go together.

How would you answer this question?

E

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: If you are not afraid of death, then why are you scared of living?

I generaly feel uneffected and apathetic by the thought of death. Although i think if i was actually faced with death, out of my control. eg, a phyical illness, i would freak out. which is strange, as the thought of suicide doesn't scare me much.

As you said, you are not affraid of life, although living while feeling very depressed, is not enjoyable, so the thought of death seems like the only way out. I think the two aren't very comparable though as one is existing, and one is not existing, the question is rather hard to answer i can't really think of a good answer really.

thanks for replying to my post btw

take care.

Zoe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

CDE, it is not a pointless thread. I think that it is a good question. Are you sure that you are not afraid of life?

Zoe, does the fact that dying by other means mean that you are not in control then and this fact is what makes the difference between the two?

Actually I would think that life is scarier if you are having such problems functioning in it. The belief is that death ends it? Of course the better route is to learn how to function in life better.

Last edited by Sannah; 08-21-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
(male)

Zedp989 HB User

I feel as if I'm not afraid to die anymore. Sometimes I forget when I take certain medications. I do know that I take them, I just sometimes can't remember when and that's possibly dangerous. I'm just kinda like, "eh". I think I have more fear of living, or at least the way I'm living right now. It's a really good question actually.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

I think ending your own lives is somehow a selfish and avoidance behaviour. So I guess CyberMum you are right, dying doesnt means probs solved, sometimes it could lead to more problems for your loved ones. But when you are facing too many problems at a time and losing your control over your own life, it is sometimes very tempting to just bring it to the end. It's not a relief, coz like my friend said it wont be a relief, it will never be, coz you would not know it, you would be dead, so there isn't a relief for your life. But it feels like this, coz you would no longer feel the pains and frustration.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTra111 View Post
when you are facing too many problems at a time and losing your control over your own life
Dearest CyberDaughter, you will learn how to gain control over your life again and I think that most of the issues with you are gaining control over your feelings which really all this is is understanding your feelings and getting comfortable with them. You really cannot control your feelings. They happen in response to your environment but when you understand them and believe that it is OKAY to have feelings then you are comfortable and life is good. (I am sure that you were raised to think/feel that your feelings were not okay).

CyberMum

Last edited by Sannah; 08-22-2007 at 05:33 AM.

Closed Thread