It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
(male)

DAME_SF HB User
Don't you feel like a LOSER posting here on the Internet about your depression?

I think sometimes this is so pathetic that we, including all of you and myself, are just whining, crying and doing all that typical being depressed stuff ONLINE. I'm a senior college student. I can't afford no freakin shrink or any kind of counseling that costs me money. it's like I'm gonna be broke before even getting help. so I am sitting here in front of my computer and reading and typing. I don't know. it's so depressive that I can't even afford to be depressed. you know what I mean? man, it's so messed up. u need a finance to be depressed, sad, cry, whine, get help, get hug, get padded on the back, be emotional, let it out whatever. anybody feels the same way? I'm not looking for an answer or anything. I'm just talking ****. it feels tiny bit better. but the fact is I am still online.

p.s) please don't come up w/ do u have insurance, there is this affordable blah blah blah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 AM   #2
(male)

Zedp989 HB User
Re: Don't you feel like a LOSER posting here on the Internet about your depression?

I'm so sorry you feel this way. Personally, I find this place as a sanctuary. Everyone is nice and can understand you; better than some people you know personally. Is there anyone on the campus like a counselor that you can talk with?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: Don't you feel like a LOSER posting here on the Internet about your depression?

Hi Dame,
I on the contrary, I feel extremely brave when I open up and share my feelings with others. It is like putting everything in perspective and I am also getting someone else's opinion, this someone being a person who is not as emotionally imvolved with my problems as I am, and therefore can offer an unbiased opinion and a fresh way of looking at things. Besides, when I am depressed I cannot think clearly, let alone see a reasonable way out of my problems. But others can...
I found help and solace so many times that it is almost catharctic.
Also, just the fact that you are broke and can share it with us, indicates to me that you are in touch with reality and that you are doing something about it; something you can afford.
Take care

Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
(female)

daftcowmoo HB User

Dame,

I have never felt more accepted and understood anywhere than I have here. I feel like this is like a support group and it doesnt matter if its online. I feel like its easier talking to people whom I don't know because they are less likely to judge me!

Im sorry you feel differently. But if you change your mind Im here!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Dame, you sound angry. You school doesn't have a free therapy service? I got almost all of my therapy from my universities. Being able to talk about your feelings and getting helpful feedback (empathy, psych info, etc.) is what is important whether this is online or offline. You even said that you felt better in your post after you wrote it!!!! Please keep posting and maybe stop thinking that you and the rest of us are losers. Who told you (either directly or indirectly) that you are a loser anyway?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

I don't feel this way at all. For some people this is a lot easier than speaking to someone face to face. A lot of people can't do that (and money has nothing to do with it).

Old 08-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
(female)

ssjup81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineLennon View Post
I don't feel this way at all. For some people this is a lot easier than speaking to someone face to face. A lot of people can't do that (and money has nothing to do with it).
I agree with this. I feel more comfortable here than I would talking to my family, because I can't...not about this and quite a few other things. I don't feel as comfortable. I also like the fact that other people can actually relate to what I'm saying and how I can relate to others. I guess I'm seeing this as a support group.

As for a doctor, I would go to one, but I can't afford one. They cost too much.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

justlilme HB User

One of the reasons I stopped posting here is because I started feeling this way. At first, this board was the only place I felt safe and unconditionally accepted and I started feeling way better (this board actually still is the only safe place for me). But then I started feeling so stupid because it turns out that the only reason I finally found real friends was because I was diagnosed with depression, which is a diagnosis that all my family and friends think is complete nonsense and is totally under my control. Then I started feeling really bad that I no longer had any valuable advice to give and could no longer be a positive presence to everyone here on the board. So this is why I stopped. What a loser I am!

Just wanna say that I understand. This totally sucks and sometimes we are left with nothing but a whole lotta anger, which I still have much of. Feel better soon.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Lilme, I was wondering why you haven't posted anymore. How are the issues going these days? You can come here only for help you know! The folks who are looking down on Depression in your life really don't have a valuable opinion IMO! Such hurtful opinions cannot be valuable. Good things do not bring pain. Do you want to talk about your anger?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

Hi. I'm glad that forums like this exist. All the stuff I talk about here I wouldn't dare talk about them to anyone I know. I think that most people don't even know I am depressed.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

The people here have helped me immensely when nobody else cared or was available. You may feel like a loser, Dame, but I don't. Depression is nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
(male)

DAME_SF HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlilme View Post
One of the reasons I stopped posting here is because I started feeling this way. At first, this board was the only place I felt safe and unconditionally accepted and I started feeling way better (this board actually still is the only safe place for me). But then I started feeling so stupid because it turns out that the only reason I finally found real friends was because I was diagnosed with depression, which is a diagnosis that all my family and friends think is complete nonsense and is totally under my control. Then I started feeling really bad that I no longer had any valuable advice to give and could no longer be a positive presence to everyone here on the board. So this is why I stopped. What a loser I am!

Just wanna say that I understand. This totally sucks and sometimes we are left with nothing but a whole lotta anger, which I still have much of. Feel better soon.
at least one person feels what I'm feeling.

my problem is that okay, when I'm at "home" and feel depressed, I might come here, read bunch of stuff and get some comfort. but once I step out of my home, it's a different world. it's REAL. it's not online. feel me? this online thingy doesn't really cure anything unless you are ONLINE and depressed. I would rather have one person (in real life) who knows the pain and understands what I'm going through than hundreds of random online friends. now u might ask go get one? well, it's not easy and u know it.

once I open up myself, I become that weak, depressed guy. once I let it out, they listen but don't stay. they leave and now I'm the one who got ****ed. they got my secret, weakness but I ain't got none from them. they don't know **** about pain. all freakin spoiled brats.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #13
(female)

blondeone HB User

so what your really ****** about is that they are backstabbing you in real life? over your depression? i still cannot get why people want to hurt people who are depressed? and i think everyone got a secret they are dying to tell

Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hi again,
I agree with you that it is better to "have one person (in real life) who knows the pain and understands what I'm going through than hundreds of random online friends." But if you don't have this one person? So, online is good enough for me, not as a substitute but as an alternative when nothing else will confort me elsewhere. Besides, you cannot dismiss the fact that you get a lot of sympathy and real, down to earth advise from people who both know and understand!!!
But, i do not agree with you that "this online thingy doesn't really cure anything unless you are ONLINE and depressed". I believe that YES this on line thingy gradually helps us to understand ourselves, get support and provides a help line when all else does fail.
At the end of the day we are all alone in real life, but we are NOT alone here. I do not know, but it gives me great confort to talk to people here... And I do not feel like a failure at all.. On the contrary, I feel valued and accepted!!!
Which means I must be doing something right!!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

positivity17 HB User

Just back from vacation, experiencing some lows. After reading this thread I have to tell you all how much respect and gratitude I have for you. For one, I gain the best insight here and most of the time can totally relate to how others are feeling. When I'm away from my computer and out in the street I carry with me knowledge that I received here. And being understood, as it turns out, is very important to me, something I've felt since logging on here. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Thank you all for providing such a great source of support!!!

Closed Thread