It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #1
(male)

Joel32 HB User
any ideas what the heck is wrong with me.

Okay heres the deal. I am a 32 yr old guy who for the most part has a pretty good life, good job,great wife,new son. but I have these re occuring episoode of " I am going to die I know it". I have been reading some things on here about depression,ADD and heart issues (i have a pacemaker due to SVT Ablation). I dont know what to do. I dont really want to burden m wife with it as she has enough to do with the new kid. I dont want to talk to my other family since I dont think they would understand. I cant talk to my friends because I have always been the one to never be afraid (I shoudl have been an actor). I just dont know what to do. My mom had some mental issues but has been out of my life since I was 11. I was on ridelin(sp) as a kids but all the sudden my parnets took me off that and gave me cylert(sp) for a little while then nothing at all. I have a really hard time finishing things,but sometimes can be very focused and driven. Okay back to the important part. I really have a fear of dying and since my son has gotten here it scares me even more(he will be 1 next month). Am i just a looney tune or is there something really wrong with me? Please help. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User
Re: any ideas what the heck is wrong with me.

Well the obvious answer is go speak to your doctor, it doesn't do you any harm. The fear of dying could be a symptom of panic disorder, I think. Coz I get this sometimes. Or you might just be over stressed coz of you new born baby? I dunno, I guess only the professionals can tell.

E

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Joel, did this fear of dying start after your pacemaker or after your son was born? I could see how having a pacemaker could make you think that you could die at any second. That thing is keeping you alive (I have never heard of someone dying because their pacemaker stopped actually. I think more people die when our natural pacemakers go haywire). Anyway, having a child really makes you want to stay alive desperately so that you can take care of them. That parenting instinct is very strong and it is the thing that makes me fear death the very, very most.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
(male)

jhu1321 HB User

I had several episodes of depression and panic after our first son was born. After consulting with my doctor over a period of several months he decided to put me on an anti-depressant. Things got much better after that. I recommend you visit your doctor and go over it with him.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

denise42 HB User

My son has had similar experiences. He thought if he ate he would choke to death. So he refused to eat. He was put on anti-depressants. He was ok for awhile. Then he thought he didn't need the meds, so then he started having panic attacks real bad he couldn't go anywhere for awhile. Went back on meds, now is ok. I think it is all an imbalance of the chemicals in the brain. I am also on anti-depressants. Could not cope without them.
Denise

Last edited by denise42; 08-22-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I can only suggest you talk about it with your wife. She also needs to know what is going on with you and the two of you can work on this issue together. I'm not sure why you dismiss talking to your wife just because she/you have a new baby. You are partners for better or worse and she has every right to know what you are going through...and it might suprise you to know that most wives really do want to know and she might have some ideas to help. It is no longer just about you. I also believe you need to go see your doctor and talk about your treatment options. Pehaps there is something else going on that you hadn't thought of. You are too young to just do nothing and you owe it to your family to explore what is going on. Good luck.

Closed Thread