It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

yvette84 HB User
Question Effexor withdrawls?????????

I just stopped effexor a couple days ago and I feel HORRIBLE! I am having the worst withdrawl effects! omg. someone please help! I am so dizzy and nauseous, I feel like I'm losing my mind and I've been crying non-stop. How long does this last?? is there any way of calming these effects??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
(male)

Botcho HB User
Re: Effexor withdrawls?????????

Did you taper or go cold turkey?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Either you quit taking Effexor cold or you are tapering way to fast. The only way that I know of to stop it is to take Effexor. Your body has gotten use to having Effexor in its system and it will react badly when it is taken away. People equate coming off of Effexor to coming off of heroin it has to be done in a specific way or there is problems. If you have none left call your doctor and look up Effexor tapering program. It takes at least a good month to taper off of Effexor. The symptoms you are feeling are from withdrawl and they can last for some time - I have heard everything from three days to a couple of weeks when the med is stopped cold.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
(female)

hummingbirds2 HB User

i ran out of my meds and hadn't taken it in a few days and i will tell u what it was a living hell
if i know someone that is goin to start taking effexor i will tell them not to start it cause the widedrawls are nasty

Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
(male)

Roche87 HB User

I took effexor too a while back, didn't work out, I tapered off of it.

I wasn't on anything for a full week(also my doctor is a nimrod and I wish to stop seeing him)

Then I started taking zoloft again which has helped me great in the past.

Why did you come off in the first place???

I honestly never want to see this medication again. Im not sure if it caused it but I went through some crazy sh-t the couple months of my life.

Ive gotten better(its been taking a long while though) Im still not fully myself.

This crash I had happened back in feb.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette84 View Post
I just stopped effexor a couple days ago and I feel HORRIBLE! I am having the worst withdrawl effects! omg. someone please help! I am so dizzy and nauseous, I feel like I'm losing my mind and I've been crying non-stop. How long does this last?? is there any way of calming these effects??
You should never quit ADs cold turkey. You should go back on and start to taper off slowly. Let me know if you need instructions on tapering.

SOE

Old 08-25-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
(female)

yvette84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****feffexor View Post
You should never quit ADs cold turkey. You should go back on and start to taper off slowly. Let me know if you need instructions on tapering.

SOE
what r your tips for tapering? my doc it is moron, he tells me nothing.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
(male)

Roche87 HB User

gradually coming off of it, just decrease it by I dunno, um 37 or so every two weeks or so(maybe one depends)...you should be on it fro I think at least one month, then try to taper off, its the same for gradually increasing week by week except your decreasing.

There isn't much to it.

Maybe you should see your gp or something, they usually know more medically so they could tell you better then anyone.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirds2 View Post
if i know someone that is goin to start taking effexor i will tell them not to start it cause the widedrawls are nasty
Sound advice.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Tapering:

It's important to taper slowly. Take the meds EVERY day -- not every other day (because that would keep your body in a constant state of mini-withdrawals.

The general rule of thumb is to taper no more than 10% per week. Some people can go faster, some have to go slower.

What I did was open the capsules and take out a small amount of beads, and I prepared a week's worth at a time. If I felt ok after the week, I tapered down another 10%. If I was feeling too many withdrawals, then I (depending on the severity) either stayed the same for another week, or went up a tiny bit until I felt better.

While you are tapering, it's important to get as much rest as possible and try to eat well. Avoid stimulants like sugar and caffeine as much as possible.

Most importantly, be patient with yourself and be kind to yourself.

Personally, I had a heck of a time coming off of Effexor, so I understand the withdrawal you are dealing with.

Take care, and let me know if you need anything else.

SOE

Old 08-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
(female)

yvette84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor View Post
Tapering:

It's important to taper slowly. Take the meds EVERY day -- not every other day (because that would keep your body in a constant state of mini-withdrawals.

The general rule of thumb is to taper no more than 10% per week. Some people can go faster, some have to go slower.

What I did was open the capsules and take out a small amount of beads, and I prepared a week's worth at a time. If I felt ok after the week, I tapered down another 10%. If I was feeling too many withdrawals, then I (depending on the severity) either stayed the same for another week, or went up a tiny bit until I felt better.

While you are tapering, it's important to get as much rest as possible and try to eat well. Avoid stimulants like sugar and caffeine as much as possible.

Most importantly, be patient with yourself and be kind to yourself.

Personally, I had a heck of a time coming off of Effexor, so I understand the withdrawal you are dealing with.

Take care, and let me know if you need anything else.

SOE

My doctor said not to open the capsule because it's XR, time released. and It would be too potent. so I eventually have to go from everyday to every other day. I just don't know when.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi:

How would breaking open a capsule make the same amount of medicine more potent that does not make any sense. If you do it the way you just stated your going to feel awful for a long time. I have seen sickofeffexor help countless people in the last couple of years to come off of this drug in a safe and healthy manner. A lot of doctors believe that Effexor is not addictive and its not that big of a deal coming off of it and they are wrong. Call up a pharmacist and see what they have to say.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette84 View Post
My doctor said not to open the capsule because it's XR, time released. and It would be too potent. so I eventually have to go from everyday to every other day. I just don't know when.
No offense, but a doctor that tells you to taper by going every other day is not familiar with tapering and withdrawals.

I know many many people that tapered by removing beads, including myself, and we all managed to get off the medication.

Most people cannot tolerate tapering by just using the doses of the medication available -- and every other day just keeps you in mini-withdrawals. Especially with Effexor which has such a short half life.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247 View Post
Hi:

How would breaking open a capsule make the same amount of medicine more potent that does not make any sense. If you do it the way you just stated your going to feel awful for a long time. I have seen *****feffexor help countless people in the last couple of years to come off of this drug in a safe and healthy manner. A lot of doctors believe that Effexor is not addictive and its not that big of a deal coming off of it and they are wrong. Call up a pharmacist and see what they have to say.

take care
trg247

That was very kind -- thanks for standing up for me.

SOE

Last edited by SOE; 08-26-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I totally concur with SOE. It took me 3 months to wean off of 75mg of efferorXR. It was really hard. I decreased my dosage about every 2 weeks. My Dr. also told me to take it every other day ,but when I thought about it that just didn't make sense to me. I did find something that helped with the dizziness and nausea . It's an herbal supplement called Clear Motion and Digestive Aid. I found it at the health food store. It helped me tremendously.
Good luck.....Kat

Closed Thread