It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
(male)

Matt4750 HB User
med question

Ok so i have been on prozac for like 3 months now it seemed like it was working earlier on but im starting to think it never did. when i started taking it i was also doin a lot of therapy and started working out and running. the past couple weeks my mood has just been goin down the shitter and i think its more related to me hurting my knee and not being able to run as much. like im back to the way i was before meds or maybe worse no desire to do anything just ya u guys know how it is. I'm just starting to get the bad thoughts again and i already ended up in the hospital then locked up because i overdosed. I was so down the other day i started running and just didnt wanta stop I only ended up running bout 6 miles but now my whole knee is bruised and it sucks. my biggest prob is no medical insurance right now which i should have back in about a week here. I want to try a different med because i dont think this one works and there is no sex drive and it sucks. any suggestions on what med to try next? I also wanta get back to therapy but im not willing to pay for it without medical insurance. I also have a drinking problem when i do get depressed like if im down for like a week it starts seeming like a good idea. That obviously makes everything worse then. I guess im kinda venting in this post too looks my dads cancer is back which i found out today too. my moms muscle disease is getting a lot worse too i just feel the need to stay home and help. im 24 i need to have a life of my own. I havent done bad for myself so far I have pretty much everything I want including 3 cars all paid for. I work in a hospital and make decent money, I just feel like poop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
(male)

mariogreymist HB User
Re: med question

Not sure what the specific question is, but I saw a couple of concerns I'll try to address from my experience. I am not a medical professional but a person who has struggled with depression for a long time.

1 - It is not uncommon for people who start to treat their depression to have a short period of feeling good at first. Some even report feeling the effects of their SSRIs after only a few days, though the human brain takes weeks to absorb their effects. This is probably just a result of positive self esteem - we feel good about ourselves because we are taking care of our problem. If the depressive episode returns (as in your case) it can just be a matter of an incorrect dosage of the anti-depressant or even not being on the one that is best for you.

2 - There is a strong correlation between mood and activity. Those who get exercise generally feel better. Not being able to exercise could be leading to your lowered mood.

3 - The costs of treating depression (even if uninsured) are far lower than the costs of letting it take over your life, if you are prone to major depression. At points in my life, I was unable to leave my house for weeks at a time, severely affecting my ability to make a living. Don't let it get that bad. Also, most doctors keep a supply of free samples of antidepressants. If you can't afford the Rx, tell your doctor and ask him if he has any to give you. I had one doctor give me a full year's supply of Zoloft once, for nothing.

Last edited by mariogreymist; 08-28-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
(male)

Matt4750 HB User

I guess my main question is any ideas on what med to try next? I want to change either way even if it is the wrong dose because the higher the dose the worse my sex drive is on prozac. sex is just like blah and i hate it. I called around and did lots of bitching and a dr got me in tomorrow or else they wanted me to wait like 2 months and i think thats unacceptable i was like so what i should go check back into the hospital. The only med i take right now that does wonders for me is i take ambian to sleep. I have adivan too but for that to calm me down i need to take like 2mg and my pills are .5mg so id rather switch to a drug that works better rather than get the dose upped or takin 4 pills. I think im going to take my mom with me too so they can talk to someone that sees me everyday pretty much. at first they were tryin wellbutrin or whatever with me but said prozac treats anxiety too so they switched me after like a day. any other AD treat anxiety? Also when i was in the hospital and what not a lot of people took xanex i wanted to see if i could try that instead of the adivan. Who has good luck with xanex? I called my work today i should get my insurance back the first or second week of september. I strongly agree with the first 2 things u said about exercise and mood and the getting myself help and self esteem. I just wanta feel better than i do now i leave for australia in 3 weeks my dream vacation and ill be gone almost 3 weeks. i live in the US so its the other side of the world for me i dont wanta feel like **** before i go. thats where a lot of my money is going but i have over a grand in credit for my plane ticket so i figured i should use it before it expires. any advice on meds would be awsome.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
(male)

mariogreymist HB User

They say Paxil works well for anxiety, and I can attest to that. I can also tell you it ruined my sex-life. I eventually have settled on Zoloft as working best for me, though I still live with a fair amount of personal anxiety. (Mostly social anxiety) While Zoloft has decreased my libido, it hasn't been decimated like on Paxil. Of course, everyone is a little different, and there might be a reason to think you'd respond better to another SSRI or even a different kind of anti-depressant. Talk to the doctor and explain your concerns.

I don't take Xanax or any benzodiazepine, as I am a recovering alcoholic, and there is a very high probability of my becoming hooked. Someone else will have to answer that question for you.

Last edited by mariogreymist; 08-28-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
(male)

Matt4750 HB User

well this dr didnt like how my meds were done last time and now im on effexor and clonipine or whatever morning and night. he knows i abuse alcohol but i guess he felt kinda the same way i did if i felt better i wouldnt be doing it. i do feel more relaxed and dont really have any desire to drink right now well see if it lasts. I hope my sex drive comes back.

Closed Thread