It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
(male)

markd76 HB User
Want to quit effexor after 5 days, best way?

I'm taking toprol xl and I think this is causing my blahness, gonna taper off it. Was taking toprol for anxiety not really for high blood pressure and it helped but comes with a multitude of side effects including depression, lethargy, weight gain, bloating, memory loss, etc. I have them all.

Doc thought I might have some depression but the I think it's a combo of toprol, working at home and being bored of my mind, no exercise whatsoever for the last year and a 25 lb weight gain. I think that I need to get out of the house and off my butt. It's hard when you have no motivation or energy but otherwise it's a lifetime of feeling crappy and side effects from meds that I don't want to take. I need to take a stand for myself to get off of all this stuff and get healthy. I also can't sleep at night and take either xanax, lunesta or ambien. I am so messed up.

My plan is to taper off toprol, start exercising, eating right and get off of all this stuff before I become more of a prescription junky.

I just started effexor xr 37.5 mg just 5 days ago and feel bad. Jittery, sweaty, anxious, hands shaking etc... Had half of an ice coffee and felt like crawling out of my skin.

When I started effexor xr, doc gave me samples and told me nothing of side effects or anything else. I don't feel like calling him cause he already thinks I'm a whiner..

Thinking that I can't feel much worse than I do now anyone have an opinion of about tapering off effexor or just quitting?

Thanks for any opinions...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Want to quit effexor after 5 days, best way?

Hi:

I don't think you have been on it long enough for it to be really in you system so i would say just quit cold turkey. Mind you I am not a doctor. Maybe call up your local pharmacist and see what they have to say.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
(male)

norton54 HB User

I couldn't handle Effexor either and just quit it after about a week. It takes a lot longer than 5 days to really build up in your system so it won't hurt to stop that soon.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
(male)

Roche87 HB User

I took it for at least over a month and I think it contributed to my downward spiral...

Im quite sick of medications, Im on zoloft(200mg), feel a bit light headed.

Yeah doctors are ****heads, They don't tell you jack sh-t about side effects.

I was better on nothing, though now I need zoloft to get myself back to normal.(Ive taken it before and its worked for.

Stop taking it right now and don't let it **** you up like it did me.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

Iulizbug HB User

My doctor put me on Effexor 37.5 and wanted to build me up to 300mg but I did not like the way it made me feel, it felt like it made my anxiety worse plus it felt super addictive and I knew i would feel awful getting off of it. Now I just eat my xanax 1mg 2x daily and I feel fine. My doc probably won't keep prescribing me my xanax by itself if I tell him i quit my effexor so I will keep telling him Im on it. Xanax by itself works wonders for me to keep my anxiety and panic attacks at bay. I don't want to gain weight either and I heard effexor causes weight gain.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
(female)

vegemite HB User

I was put on effexor and OMG .. it was the worst thing.

1 tablet (75mg) at night and I was up the whole night..... anxiety ++, upset tummy, sweating, shaking, skin crawling, I just wanted out out of my system. I nearly drove myself to the ER.

Needless to say, I only took the one.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Effexor bashing....guess its been a few weeks.

Effexor has a lot of drawbacks and is hard on your system at first and a royal pain to get off of it for some.

It is also one of the most prescribed antidepressants out there and despite all of the complaints that surround it, it will be available and prescribed for a long time to come for the simple reason it works for a very high number of people that other meds could not help.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread